Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Yet another light thread…
  • Moonhead
    Free Member

I’m sorry, I know there have been a few of these threads recently. I have read them and plenty of others online.

I’m new to night riding so would really appreciate some input on the 2 lights I’m choosing between.

Magicshine MJ-872 1600 Lumen

Smudge’s XML Light 1000 Lumen

Both look great but I am new to night riding and I can only afford one light right now.

The MJ-872 seems to have a wider beam and the XML narrower but further reaching.

There are other differences such as price (£20), digital battery with the MJ-872 but I am most interested in which light would be the best choice for a main light.

Also if you were only using one light would you go for helmet or on the bars mounting?

What do you guys reckon?

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

I would go for the smudge light and helmet mount it personally

radoggair
    Free Member

Fantastic, a light thread.

I’m staying glued to this one 🙄

*BUY 2 DEAL EXTREME 1200 LUMEN FOR £28 EACH, ITS ALL YOU’LL EVER EVER NEED*

Moonhead
    Free Member

Thanks TJ.

radoggair….I looked at those but want something from the UK. Warranty etc.

boltonjon

Been using Deal Extreme 1200 lumens for a couple of months. really good lights

I borrowed a very expensive Hope light last weekend and to be honest, i prefer my Deal Extremes!!

Also, i’ll not have a little cry if i smashed it of my helmet 😀

grtdkad

… I hear what you guys are saying about the Dx lights however it can be a false economy. Buy good lights, benefit from quality and performance. Then, after 18/24 months flog them on and benefit from high residuals.

I’ve been doing this for 6/7 years and each light has ended up costing me (net) £30-£50 for a year or twos use. A couple of times I managed to sell on at a profit – 🙂

dobo
    Free Member

my dx lights are still going after a year or so, have had to tape them up with insulting tape and stuff but still work well, only anoying thing is that they are even cheaper this year, really is hard to consider something else

finmac
    Free Member

MJ872 on the bars and Exposure joystick on my lid……more light than I’ll ever need on the trails. The MJ is ace, feels really well made and the changing coloured gauge/switch is a nice touch. Very happy with mine.

Northwind

MJ872 on the helmet for me, no need for a bar light with that (though I still have one, in case of failure/damage). This’d definately be my recommendation to anyone.

(anyone using one of these on the bars with a seperate head light, give it a crack on the head, I was amazed how well it works)

I’ve not actually seen the smudge light in action, but I didn’t like either of my XML lights much, just a bad beam pattern- tons of light thrown at too small an area.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Yet another light thread…’ is closed to new replies.