Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Yesterday (the movie) – anyone else just not get the concept?
  • the-muffin-man

Bloke has a cycle accident…
    Bloke recovers and seems to wake up in a parallel universe where no one has heard of the Beatles and they never existed…
    Bloke becomes international superstar…
    erm, yep, OK then!

Feels like an attempt to jump on the current music movie band-wagon that’s popular at the minute.

Now bloke having a bike accident and having no concept of the Beatles himself is plausible!

perchypanther
    Free Member

Bloke becomes international superstar…

Isn’t the whole point of the film that it’s the songs who are the stars and not the bloke.

It’s a contrived vehicle for the music, just like Mamma Mia was and every other subsequent band-based musical.

P-Jay
    Free Member

It’s in the vein of all those Britcom films that always do well and the Yanks seem to like them too.

For me it’s probably a good 3 beer film, if I sat in the Cinema on a wet Tuesday afternoon and analysed it, it’ll be shit, but after 3 beers on a Saturday eve, especially if I’d been riding that day I’d probably enjoy it.

The premise is just one big MacGuffin.

finishthat
    Free Member

Its entertainment with a bandwagon of songs , not supposed to be like the zombie bandwagon style stuff – more “fun”.

I am looking forward to being entertained.

IdleJon

Cinemas are jam-packed with films about people who can fly, behave like human spiders, talking toys, space battles, Norse gods, spies who can behave like super-heroes….

A simple concept like ‘Yesterday’ can’t be that difficult, surely?

fasthaggis

I hate when stories don’t stick to my rules .
    I am not going to see it now unless they change the ending to one where his life support gets switched off and the screen goes black.

Oops,that’s not what happens is it ?

stevie750

isn’t it just a rip off of Nick Webber in hot tub time machine 2?

Northwind

It’s basically Goodnight Sweetheart.

I like the idea, and apparently it’s pretty good. Can’t help but think that actually if you woke up in a world without the Beatles today and tried to copy their songs, what’d actually happen is no record label’d touch it, no radio station’d play it because it’s not a) proper new stuff or b) proper old stuff, and you’d end up going back to the day job.

136stu
    Free Member

Yesterday 2 – He awakes from his coma (see – Bobby Ewing).

avdave2

You’re right, guitar groups are on the way out Mr Northwind

DezB
    Free Member

Have you seen that one where a bloke flies around in a big spaceship with a great big hairy creature and a couple of robots and they all understand each other?
    etc

the-muffin-man

Just me then! 🙂

fasthaggis

Going to see it on Sunday,I will post up a full review.
    I expect it to be a bit painful.

the-muffin-man

Have you seen that one where a bloke flies around in a big spaceship with a great big hairy creature and a couple of robots and they all understand each other?
    etc

I love that one – and the one where the alien has acid for blood! 🙂

DezB
    Free Member

the one where the alien has acid for blood!

That’s based on fact, that one.

scud
    Free Member

I must admit i was looking forward a great deal more to his James Bond than this!

winston
    Free Member

Richard Curtis, Danny Boyle, The Beatles…it’s like an event horizon of overated things. Was the guy knocked off a Yeti?

antigee

fasthaggis

I hate when stories don’t stick to my rules .
    I am not going to see it now unless they change the ending to one where his life support gets switched off and the screen goes black.

just read an article in the wall street journal about the origins of the script….idea and original script was by a guy called Jack Barth in Barth’s version the hero Jack fails to achieve stardom…

“even if I woke up and I was the only person to know Star Wars or Harry Potter, I probably wouldn’t be very successful with it….”

Barth sold the idea and his script to Curtis “When I wrote my version hadn’t actually read Jack’s…so I guess it was my natural instinct that went for a more optimistic version”

Klunk
    Free Member

the beatles were a boy band first singing very “pop” “she loves you yeah yeah yeah”. So as a boy band they could make it today I guess and feed in the better/cleverer stuff over time. As a solo act, perhaps but if you keep pumping it out your going to get noticed it’s quite a back catalogue.

boomerlives
    Free Member

I can’t believe Boyle left the Bond film to make this pap.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Bond? Crikey, now there’s a load of shite! 😂

theotherjonv

Usual Richard Curtis fare; it’s not Oscar quality but for a couple of hours of RomCom diversion and some good tunes, you kind of know what to expect though.

The premise I struggled with was that he’s known Lily James for twenty years and not tried to cop off with her in that time……no-one’s that daft surely.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Yesterday (the movie) – anyone else just not get the concept?’ is closed to new replies.