Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Yesterday me and MrsRNP for the first time in 25years together…..
  • RustyNissanPrairie

Had a meal at home with (new) matching cutlery rather than our hotchpotch of stolen and hand-me-downs!

The definite social climb to middle class feels great.

As you were.

TheBrick
    Free Member

We have matching cutlery but not crockery. I however did go full middle-class last month and bought a second hand dishwasher. [\evenMorr MiddleClass]

mattbee

Last night we used the Royal Doulton dinner service and silver cutlery set we received as a wedding present 19 years ago. I can’t remember when we used it last and I do t think it’s been out of the sideboard more than a handful of times! Mismatched IKEA wine glasses were <span style=”font-size: 0.8rem;”>deployed alongside though and we then had port out of whisky glasses with the cheese. 😂</span>

timber

A cutlery set has kept us together 😂
    Seemed a rather extravagant spend at the time and if we split it would be war over who kept it.

Frustratingly, a lodger lost a teaspoon and desert fork from it 😡

Klunk
    Free Member

and yet mismatched wine glasses is the height middle class taste pretentiousness 😉

RustyNissanPrairie

Our new ones were £15 a set from TKMaxx (she extravagantly bought two sets).

In the cold light of a hungover morning maybe the social ladder wasn’t really climbed much😔

….and the spoons aren’t as big as some of my favourite old ones so not very good for wheatybang shovelling.

matt_outandabout

*quietly hides the full Denby set and Viner’s cutlery set*

(Tbf, the cutlery was a wedding gift.25 years ago from my family, the Denby was free on Tesco vouchers).

funkmasterp

Mismatched all the way here. Don’t think we own any crockery that isn’t chipped or cracked either. We’ve looked at matching sets before and then found more fun things to buy instead. I’ll never reach the middle classes with this attitude will I? 😕

matt_outandabout

Don’t think we own any crockery that isn’t chipped or cracked either.

Err, we’ve got kids so of course every thing is chipped. But it’s matching, chips and all, so that counts.

bigblackshed

In a “I’m morr middle class than you” moment, our everyday set is Denby but the Viners canteen of cutlery that comes out twice a year needs to go in the bin.

The Denby has lasted 10+ years and stands up to lots of abuse. The multiple cheap sets previous have all been cheap and nasty. The Viners can’t go in the bin though, apparently they were a wedding present so must be preserved at all costs.

timbog160

Post cutlery tristesse Rusty? 😀

eddiebaby
    Free Member

Anyone else have trouble eating with missmatched cutlery? I mean I don’t care if you eat with something matching my eatin’ irons or a spoon or your fingers but if my knife and fork are not from the same set they feel wrong somehow and I get remarkably irritated by it.
    There again it was pointed out to me that when I hang washing on the line I have to hang my socks in pairs next to each other and I use the same colour pegs for each pair and NEVER put differing colour pegs on the larger items, even if i have to take pegs off other items to make a big enough set for a duvet cover.
    Maybe breaking that habit should be a New Year’s resolution.

singletrackmind

Not me, but a friend refuses to eat with mismatched knife and fork.
    Lifes to short for that kind of nonsense in my opinion of course

bsims
    Free Member

Anyone else have trouble eating with missmatched cutlery?

Yes. The balance is all wrong. All four of use can have cutlery from different sets but individually it must be from the same set. We have a combination of 3 sets in the cutlery draw and mix of 5 sets for plates, bowls etc… Mostly chipped. We also have a plate which has a crack running 3/4 of the way across on one side that flexes if you use it on an uneven surface. It’s only a matter of time before it snaps in half being carried with a Sunday roast.

Edit: I agree with the pegs as well.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Yesterday me and MrsRNP for the first time in 25years together…..’ is closed to new replies.