Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Yesterday I went back about a century in time.
  • globalti
    Free Member

Had to drop my son at a village called Ravenseat in Swaledale to join his D of E group (don’t ask) and found myself in an extraordinary place. The farm at the end of the valley is run by an amazing family of mother, father and seven kids, along with a menagerie of cats, dogs, horses, sheep, cows, peacocks, chickens, all running around in the freezing wind or pulling lambs out of sheeps’ bottoms. While researching the location of the meeting place I had come across quite a lot on the web; have a look at this and you’ll understand:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/women/womens-life/10771973/Amanda-Owen-Yorkshires-tweeting-shepherdess.html

Soon after I arrived one of the boys ran up, introduced himself and hauled me off to inspect his collection of tractors and farm implements. The eldest daughter was busy lambing, wearing nothing but a vest, in a temperature of 5 degrees, the mum rushing around organising everybody with a baby in a papoose on her back and baby number 8 definitely about to drop. There was an atmosphere of happy, carefree mayhem and I wished I could have stayed for tea but needed to get off. I’m pleased that at least one Dales family is living as a family should! I don’t remember ever feeling cold or uncomfortable when I was a child with no heating in the house so I’m sure these kids are also happily oblivious to heating, TV, computer games or texting.

As a side-benefit to the trip I drove the route that I’ve been planning to cycle with my son from Settle to Kirkby Stephen via Hawes, Buttertubs and Swaledale and confirmed that it’s a big day out with some very tiring uppy-downy bits once you’ve climbed Buttertubs and dropped down the exciting descent into Swaledale. Definitely one for a long summer’s day, to be taken at touring pace.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Do Lambs come out of Sheeps Bottoms ?

Genuine question..

wombat

No they don’t

Genuine answer

slowoldman

Ravenseat isn’t a village!!!!

It’s a brilliant place isn’t it? We stumbled on it some years ago walking through from Tan Hill. One of the kids was heaving a massive bag of feed around, bigger than she was. We bought some of their “extra free range eggs” (they have to search high and low for them).

A couple of years ago we went back and stayed a night in the Shepherd’s Hut. Amanda does a brilliant breakfast.

Raed her tweets – great stuff and humbling.

lesgrandepotato

I think we walked past on coast to coast. If so I hope you had the scones. I had the scones. They were good scones.

Alphabet

Genuine question..

Mine don’t.

CountZero

bikebouy – Member

I suppose you could argue that they come out of the bottom-end of a sheep… 😉

aracer
    Free Member

Doesn’t lamb come shrink wrapped from Waitrose?

choppersquad
    Free Member

To be fair it does sound pretty awesome.
    At least their kids won’t be expecting a lift on their paper round when it gets a bit damp.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Yesterday I went back about a century in time.’ is closed to new replies.