Viewing 11 posts - 41 through 51 (of 51 total)
  • Yesterday I had a ride in a helicopter that I hadn't planned as part of my day.
  • Nick

Ooo ooo can I join in with the hard man stories?

Cartwheeled into the stream running down Minton Batch, smashed my helmet, burst my bladder (camelbak), bent pump, broken sunglasses, scratch on top tube, broken collarbone.

After laying there for awhile and letting the adrenaline subsided in case I was in shock, I made up a sling with an innertube, then walked down with bike to meet friend who had gone off to get my car.

We drove up into Minton and nearly ran over Pete Postlethwaite.

Went home via the shop and picked up a few beers, found the sling I had when I broke it previously and went and sat in the sun drinking beer until I fell asleep.

Went to hospital two days later (on work time), nothing much they could do.

Rode the Borrowdale Bash route 7 weeks later.

Diane
    Free Member

Well, there was this one time in band bike camp….. 🙄

Honestly – what are you lot like! I’m sure Kunstler didn’t ASK for a heli drop rescue. Like TJ says – the paramedic types make the call.

Get well soon.

ChrisL

An ambulance took me to hospital the first time I broke my collarbone. Sitting up and walking the 50 metres or so to the ambulance was probably the most painful thing I’ve ever experienced. And I too got a list of people queueing up to tell me how they broke their collarbone once but didn’t let it stop them completing their rugby match/50 mile epic ride/whatever.

On the other hand, when I refractured it about a month after I’d started riding again, I didn’t know for sure whether it had broken again at all until a doctor at the fracture clinic checked the x-ray closely. That time I’d only gone to A&E to get a big cut in my side sewn up and they decided to take an x-ray as a precaution.

In conclusion, collarbone fractures vary in the amount of pain they cause and their seriousness. I expect that whether the parts are pushed together or apart, whether there are fragments and a number of other factors affect how bad it is. To suggest otherwise is about as tasteful as saying “well I survived (insert any disease/injury here), so anyone who dies from it was obviously a wuss”.

So good luck with recovering from your collarbone injury, Kunstler. Make sure you do get referred for physio – I wasn’t (despite asking about it) and I think it would have made a big and continuing difference if I had.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    wwaswas

I had a femoral neck fracture.

I’d like to say I hopped to the nearest road and got the ambulance from there.

Reality was I stayed very still until someone with a 4×4 and a stretcher turned up.

Not sure why I bothered, though, the doctor in a&e ‘proved’ there was nothing wrong by giving me a paracetomol and then pushing my knee into my chest and putting his weight on it.

He sent me for an x-ray of my pelvis ‘as a precaution’ and returned looking sheepish after the radiologist had a word.

jp-t853

I also wonder at the use of helicopters and the cost involved. A guy was airlifted from a building next to my work a few weeks ago. They closed a road affecting lots of businesses. Two cars in the car park got damaged by stones. The guys were standing around and joking for about forty minutes before the helicopter took the injured man away. The next day we found out that he had twisted his ankle and was discharged from hospital.

The helicopter is run by charity donations and incidents like that make you think twice about contributing.

Northwind

wwaswas – Member

I had a femoral neck fracture.

I’d like to say I hopped to the nearest road and got the ambulance from there.

Reality was I stayed very still until someone with a 4×4 and a stretcher turned up.

I declare you a big poof- I walked into A&E on my broken hip.

Mind you I only did that because I’m a ****ing idiot.

IsaacClarke
    Free Member

I’ve dislocated my kneecaps 5 times…

This thread makes me want to cradle them and be sick a little bit…

Flashbacks – yay!

Gary_M
    Free Member

Gary_M – you made her drive?

Not at all, her choice. I’d had a couple of pints so I wasn’t driving.

Kunstler

Cheers folks.

Collar bone broken in four places. The two parts of the main break now overlap by a centimetre and apparently it will heal this way leaving a lump of bone.
    The SAR copter arrived fairly quickly so I guess they were already nearby. I’m pretty grateful to them.

Maybe I should think of a charity ride…

bigjim

Collar bone broken in four places

Well you did a proper job of that didn’t you! One place was bad enough for me…

imnotverygood

It was the SAR heli which picked up Kunstler. If there is any consolation it then went from the ERI to an incident near Kirkcaldy so in the overall scheme of things I doubt it cost the taxpayer much more either way:- It had to travel to the Edinburgh area anyway.

Pain from broken bones clearly does vary a lot. When I was 17 I played on for 10 minutes with a broken collar bone & I wasn’t aware at the time that I was being a hero.

Viewing 11 posts - 41 through 51 (of 51 total)

The topic ‘Yesterday I had a ride in a helicopter that I hadn't planned as part of my day.’ is closed to new replies.