Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 164 total)
  • Yesterday I did something stupid, but would have done the same?
  • singlespeedstu

You did the right thing.
    He’s your dog you love him.
    You saved him.
    No question if you were right.

hora
    Free Member

Twice a year every year your family would be numb with grief.

Then your wife will be naked-snuggling up in bed stroking another manwhilst he grins holding her hair in both hands. All thanks to [insert generic dogs name].

Harsh but true.

anagallis_arvensis

Well from the highly thought through, intelligent and articulate responses from people who would leave their children fatherless for the sake of a big, daft furry shitting machine, who’s probably a lot better swimmer than they are anyway, I now feel a bit silly for suggesting that is in fact the behaviour of an idiot

that’s a very good point Binners, but its not actually what you said so why don’t you clip clop back under your bridge

hora
    Free Member

Are you sat there pressing refresh? Wow. Just wow.

binners

AA – what is it with some dog owners? Who are heavily represented on this forum. They seem to think that because of their own emotional incontinence towards their canines, that it’s somehow compulsory for everyone else to share their inexplicable enthusiasm.

They either cannot comprehend, or simply refuse to accept that a lot of people (myself included – can you tell?) just view dogs as a noisy, filthy, smelly, stupid and potentially explosively violent, crap-generating nuisance. I can’t work out which it is.

Everyone has stuff they don’t like, but somehow it’s been deemed verboten by dog owners to be critical of their belovedly idiotic slobbering pets, or to suggest that any restrictions be placed on their right to do whatever they please. If a dog had been on a lead it wouldn’t have ended up in a river, and nobody would subsequently have had to risk their lives.

Overall… I’m not being swayed from my original assumption about the links between dogs, dog owners, frankly weird co-dependent relationships and stupidity

wiggles
    Free Member

F*** me the dog bummers are out in force again. First all the “the dog bit your leg off because you looked at him so is your fault” threads now this…

mattbee

There is a distinct difference between not sharing someone’s enthusiasm for something and behaving like a pillock.
    I fear that is a distinction you seem unable to make.

oldboy
    Free Member

Dog mouth lickers closing ranks, again!

mattbee

Smart Alec arseholes grouping together too it would seem…

binners

Surely by your name calling you’re just confirming the emotionally-charged illogicalities stated about a certain type of dog owner in my last post?

Jumping into a river, and putting your life at risk in the process, to save a dog is the very pinnacle of irrational behaviour IMHO.

hora
    Free Member

I like dogs but I shy away when humans treat something lower down the food chain as basically ‘one of the family’.

Its a pet not a surrogate child FFS.

Now can we have a mosh thread please 😆

molgrips
    Free Member

I wonder if you’d still think you’d done the right thing as the cold flood water fills your lungs…

wiggles
    Free Member

Dogs live ~10-12 years, people might have 5+ dogs in their life, they die you get over it eventually. That’s quite different if it is your father or son…

Not to mention if someone else is killed in the process. How would you feel if you And your dog got out but the person who saved you didn’t? Any normal person would never really get over that.

manton69

Sorry, but I hoped that this thread would die the quiet death it deserved.

As somebody who has trained people in Water Safety for 10+ years, acts as a tester for water safety equipment and performed rescues in water the OP’s actions were reckless in the extreme. If you make an emotional reaction to an emergency situation you had better be very lucky. The floods recently always bring back memories of tragedies and lucky escapes that I have seen.

If you take the emotional responses to these situations, particularly those involving nearest and dearest, whatever species, we all know that we would think:

“I need to do something.”

However from bitter experience that thought, more often than not, involves the death of the person thinking it unless trained and resourced to do the job. You still need all the bravery and luck that you would to get in, but you would know how to change your actions as the situation develops. Very few people can sit by and watch events unfold without wanting to get involved. In cases such this a very small change in circumstances leads to a very different outcome.

So if you want to get in by all means do so, but think: think of the people that may then have to get you out of the situation if things go wrong; think of those you may leave behind if you do decide to get in; think what you can do with the least danger to yourself. Have a back up plan, make a call and be lucky.

mattbee

Ours is a surrogate child, probably explains a lot about me.
    Still, I can see this is just becoming a good old stw circular argument & Moonfleet is on telly so I’ll default the win to the none dog lovers and keep my blood pressure at a reasonable level. X

hora
    Free Member

To the I’d risk it crowd- If you loved dogs THAT much you could not take it to be put down at the end of its life.

Comeback to sanity, its nowhere near worth a human life. Ever.

thejesmonddingo

mattbee,why didn’t you adopt a child?Or do you not like people?

anagallis_arvensis

Again you make a few reasonable points binners and then you just go back to calling all dog owners stupid and then start bleating when someone responds in kind.

Hora, are dogs lower in the food chain? I would suggest that wolves and humans are on very similar trophic levels. Not sure daschunds etc count.

thejesmonddingo

I wonder about the psychology of dog “lovers” Do they feel that dogs are the same as people on an emotional level? Is that because of,or in spite of,a dog’s low intelligence level,and inability to communicate in any meaningful way?

thejesmonddingo

Oh,and it feels very odd to agree with hora 🙄

anagallis_arvensis

Are dogs that stupid? Many can be trained to do all sorts of useful things such as guide dogs or assistance dogs. They are able to read and respond to human emotions in ways that truely stupid animals, sheep for example cannot. Mind you the question on this thread isnt about intelligence its about how you respond in stressful situations and even the op said what he did was stupid. Dogs play on human emotions in much the same way as kids do, acts seemingly altruistic are in fact from an evlutionary point of view rarely altruistic. We are genetically programmed to respond in these ways that put us at risk.

thejesmonddingo

Grow up,and stop treating them like that,dogs and kids.Treat the dogs as the animals they are,and the kids as potential human beings.

anagallis_arvensis

Was that post aimed at me? If so you might have to explain just wtf you are talking about. If not feel free to carry on ranting.

thejesmonddingo

AA you appear to be saying that dogs have human like intelligence and emotional responses like children,if my interpretation is incorrect,please explain,otherwise feel free to carry on ranting.

anagallis_arvensis

Try reading it again

huckleberryfatt
    Free Member

why didn’t you adopt a child?Or do you not like people?

I wonder about the psychology of someone who’d post something so jaw-droppingly crass

Nick

Your dog, your life, not sure there is anything else to discuss is there?

Junkyard
    Free Member

Dogs play on human emotions in much the same way as kids do

Now I know what you mean, and I dont disagree, but you could have clarified. It is not unreasonable to claim this means you are comparing them

wiggles
    Free Member

Based on actual science rather than emotion, dogs aren’t even in the top 10 for intelligence. So if you are basing on that I hope you don’t eat pigs and I’m sure you treat rats with the same respect as a human being as they are considered smarter then dogs.

khani
    Free Member

This is going well.. 😀

thejesmonddingo

huckleberryfatt,my wife and I could only have one child of our own,we wanted a larger family,we didn’t buy a dog,we adopted a child.

harvey
    Free Member

a dog is not worth the loss of a single human life. how many family members would mourn you for years to come ? a dead dog however the is owner upset for a few weeks, then replaces it with another pup.
    last year a lad went in after his dog, his brother went after him, and then the father went after both of them.all three died, the dog trotted off. thousands at the funerals, go figure

anagallis_arvensis

If taken in isolation from the rest of the post and you read it determined to find fault and with preconcieved ideas about what you want it to mean. Even then thats not what it means because thats not what it says. My dog shows very few emotions but is able to read mine very astutely at times.

anagallis_arvensis

Based on actual science rather than emotion, dogs aren’t even in the top 10 for intelligence. So if you are basing on that I hope you don’t eat pigs and I’m sure you treat rats with the same respect as a human being as they are considered smarter then dogs.

based on actual science wolves are thought to be better at problem solving than dogs, but dogs try and get the experimenters to solve the problems because they know that the humans can do it. Is that stupid or not?

binners

My pet dolphin – Colin – is miles more intelligent than any dog! Has never needed rescuing from a river, and as an added bonus, I’ve never stood in one of his turds that he just curled off on the pavement outside the front of the house

thejesmonddingo

You know AA on rerereading your post it is even more worrying,are you saying that human beings are genetically programmed to respond to manipulation by dogs?

mattbee

Thejesmond…., your comment about adoption was aimed at me. At least you knew that my wife and I had been declined as adoptive parents, it would have been a bit thoughtless of you to have just assumed we hadn’t exhausted every **** possible way of having children, wouldn’t it? Since you know me so well. I mean, dogs are just bloody stupid animals whereas people are so intelligent…

_tom_
    Free Member

To the I’d risk it crowd- If you loved dogs THAT much you could not take it to be put down at the end of its life.

Some people take their loved ones to be euthanised if/when they deteriorate to the point of having no quality of life. Is it not the same thing?

thejesmonddingo

Sorry mattbee,not aware of your adoptive problem or wouldn’t have made the comment,my apologies to you and mrs mattbee,it wasn’t meant to be so offensive.

teethgrinder

Nick – Member
    Your dog, your life, not sure there is anything else to discuss is there?

Not always the case, though. Not when someone has to go in and find the owner of the dog.

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 164 total)

The topic ‘Yesterday I did something stupid, but would have done the same?’ is closed to new replies.