Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Yes, yes, very clever, but will it take off?
  • CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member
    TheDTs
    Free Member

Not in jeans, state shoes and a bike which is too small it won’t.

Why hasn’t anyone thought of that then…?

TheDTs
    Free Member

Whats that thing on the floor behind the rear wheel?
    Looks like a cassette fixed to a stand, alternative to rollers?

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Looks cool, but impractical, and I can’t quite get my head around how it would apply resistance other than hills. Surely you still need some sort of brake on the wheels to simulate wind resistance. The opposite of a turbo or rollers which simulate a headwind, but no gradient.

dirtyrider
    Free Member

Tax Neo? direct drive turbo

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Tacx Neo, turbo trainer which doesn’t need a rear wheel, the frame bolts straight to it, like the Lemond revolution, except the tacx one is electric.

[edit] The same second!

jam-bo

Can you fit wings to it?

Northwind

Well played CFH

TheDTs
    Free Member

Surely, a fixie on the treadmill for the win.

GregMay
    Free Member

We used to do lab testing on the big treadmill with bikes – it’s nothing new.

I’ve had the joy of being on a track bike on an equine treadmill – I won’t lie. It was not fun.

dirtyrider
    Free Member

The same second!

OSX > Windoze

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I miss spelt trax/tacx!

mrblobby
    Free Member

Don’t really see how that would work simulating riding on the flat unless you have something to push against. Even the article says it “increases resistance”. I guess it could have you pushing against that bar across the front that’s a few inches above the roller.

maxtorque

Pretty sure the whole treadmill tills upwards to add resistance

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Pretty sure the whole treadmill tills upwards to add resistance

Plus increased resistance on the belt itself.

Would be a great idea if it could double up as a running treadmill, as it would mean one piece of kit to do both.

Oh, sorry, I was being serious there for a minute.

I’d rather chew my own knackers than ride a bike that’s going nowhere. It’s like how can we possibly make road riding even more boring?..

Albeit, I can just about accept why some people will do it for fitness. I’d rather be unfit!

jam-bo

Meanwhile, In an office just across the corridor….

aracer
    Free Member

I don’t know how long ago that was, but CB was doing it 20 years ago
    http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/cycling-boardman-ready-for-his-ascent-1589110.html

captainsasquatch
    Free Member

Would be a great idea if it could double up as a running treadmill, as it would mean one piece of kit to do both.

You didn’t read the article the op linked to, did you? 😉

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Plus increased resistance on the belt itself

For the bike to not move all the forces have to ballance. So gravity (incline) matches power output, if there was friction from the belt then there would need to be more incline to stop you moving forward.

So you couldn’t just go fast on the flat, as the only drag would be the rolling resistance.

Unless you mount the whole thing in a wind tunnel. Which given its already pretty big, isn’t that much less convenient, just stick a big fan in front of it like those endless pool jet thingamabobs.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

You didn’t read the article the op linked to, did you?

maccruiskeen

Meanwhile, In an office just across the corridor….

I’m going to to take one of them for a spin on the treadmill in the OP. Double the fun.

And them I’m going to take the bike from the OP for a ride on the treadmill bike on the treadmill in the OP. Triple trouble.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Yes, yes, very clever, but will it take off?’ is closed to new replies.