• This topic has 151 replies, 66 voices, and was last updated 2 years ago by boblo.
Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 152 total)
  • Yes ! What Car – Motorway driving big engine?
  • tonyd

Recommend what you’ve got….. Audi A6 All Road. 3.0 v6 diesel, very comfortable car to drive, lovely on the motorway. It’s my first automatic and I wish I’d got one years ago.

No idea what it’s like on mpg because I don’t really pay attention to that stuff, but I can’t imagine it’s great!

Doing that kind of mileage every week I’d probably be looking at something like a passat or the octavia. I rented an octavia a couple of years ago for a family holiday to wales. It was HUGE and we got all the way there and back on half a tank of diesel, iirc we did about 450 miles.

rickon
    Free Member

If you’re after a big car for motorway driving, then it’s going to handle like crap in the corners and on B roads (generally). So why do you need or want a big engine? You’re gonna be at a steady 70mph (obviously!), so it’s not like you’re gonna be hooning it around back roads.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Unless you are totally green, don’t eat meat, never go on holiday etc, etc, I can’t be doing with these lines trotted out tbh

Wierd comment. I guess because he can’t be perfect he shouldn’t make an effort at all ? But self justification n all that.

The ops original post screamed Tesla or other current gen long range electric car to me purely for the cost of fuel to cover that distance.

Other think that it screamed out is That’s a silly amount of miles to kick a football around on a weekly basis.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

If you’re after a big car for motorway driving, then it’s going to handle like crap in the corners and on B roads (generally). So why do you need or want a big engine? You’re gonna be at a steady 70mph (obviously!), so it’s not like you’re gonna be hooning it around back roads.

This +1

If it’s going to be almost all motorway cruising, then you only need to do 0-60 once.

I got my Berlingo for work, it’s is hands down the most comfortable thing I’ve ever wafted up and down the motorway in. “Only” does 52mpg, but then was so cheep that it would take about 3 decades to pay off Vs. £15000, 70mpg car 🤣. Just passed another MOT with no work again, so it’s been really cheep to run too!

Not the quietest mind you. And would have zero future-footballer street cred.

Wierd comment. I guess because he can’t be perfect he shouldn’t make an effort at all ? But self justification n all that.

Not really, considering mol stated the OP had an obligation to everyone else to basically not be so selfish as to have a less economical car because he might want to drive a nice car.

I’m a petrol head, so always bite at these threads

However, you could also say, don’t go to Mexico when you could go to Spain, you have a duty to the planet. Don’t go to Spain, when you could go to Skegness, etc

Cars get singled out (unsurprisingly on a cycling forum – actually, do we ride bikes – I don’t much tbh atm), but they are an easy target. If you’re carbon neutral then berate someone’s choices – if you could make better choices, then maybe leave others be to make theirs?

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Unless you are totally green, don’t eat meat, never go on holiday etc, etc, I can’t be doing with…………..

……eco warrior……..

I’m sure there’s a correlation between people who’s self-identity is entangled with a liking for medium-rare steak and big cars. And a desire to identify anyone who disagrees with them as an eco-warrior.

Edukator
    Free Member

Don’t go to Spain, when you could go to Skegness,

Take the train to Spain and you’ll polute les than going to Skeggy in most of the cars quoted on this thread. 🙂

trail_rat
    Free Member

Other than I’m alright jack your further comment hasn’t really provided any clarity on your original comment.

Plenty nice cars provided that don’t simply exist to burn as much fuel as possible.

I’m sure there’s a correlation between people who’s self-identity is entangled with a liking for medium-rare steak and big cars. And a desire to identify anyone who disagrees with them as an eco-warrior.

And I’m sure there’s a correlation between time spent on STW and twisting what people say to make your point.

I didn’t call anyone on here an eco warrior

ta11pau1

I’d recommend what I have, which was partially bought for motorway wafting in mind.

Skoda Superb 2.0tdi – easy 50-55mpg+ on the motorway, even with a bike rack on the back, 2 bikes and fully loaded inside.

Mine has adaptive cruise control, lane keeping assist, android auto, a big 12 speaker stereo, and electronic suspension. Makes a trip from SE England to Scotland a breeze. And the estate is massive inside, both for passengers and the boot.

The lane keeping assistant is a game changer for motorway driving, does 90% of the small steering adjustments to keep you in lane meaning you can be more aware of vehicles around you.

A proper motorway wafter has a big engine that is barely ticking over at 70mph, not at 4k rpm giving you a headache. Is quiet, comfortable, with soft suspension. Also the more toys the better; Climate control, heated seats, a good stereo, etc all add up to a effoetless, relaxed way to cover hundreds of miles in utter comfort.

A 1.0l micra ain’t going to cut it 😁

Gribs

A proper motorway wafter has a big engine that is barely ticking over at 70mph, not at 4k rpm giving you a headache. Is quiet, comfortable, with soft suspension. Also the more toys the better; Climate control, heated seats, a good stereo, etc all add up to a effoetless, relaxed way to cover hundreds of miles in utter comfort.

For motorway use any turbo diesel fitted to something Mondeo sized or bigger for the last 20 years will only be sitting at ~2k rpm at 70ish. I’d keep the existing car and get something big and comfortable and most importantly near the bottom of it’s depreciation curve to do the dull motorway mileage in. Even hateful things like Vectras are perfectly acceptable for just motorway use as long as they’re well specced.

Something like this would be ideal https://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202109046975762

richmars

If I was doing that number of miles, I’d be looking for the most reliable car, regardless of just about anything else.

5lab

For motorway use any turbo diesel fitted to something Mondeo sized or bigger for the last 20 years will only be sitting at ~2k rpm at 70ish

Yep. The GM whisper diesel (1.6 from 2015 onwards) does 1800 rpm at 70 in an astra, insignia, zafira etc. 360nm of torque, more than a 3l non turbo petrol could do. Plenty for hitting the motorway

davros

It wouldn’t be stw if someone looking at 3l V6 cars wasn’t recommend a Berlingo 🤣

Something tells me this one isn’t about mpg. Op just wants a new car. No one buys a V6 because it’s necessary.

molgrips
    Free Member

Unless you are totally green, don’t eat meat, never go on holiday etc, etc, I can’t be doing with these lines trotted out tbh

There are many things that most people do that an eco warrior could deem selfish

No mate that’s not how this works. It’s not about personal point-scoring, you can’t attack someone for telling you to use less fuel cos they eat meat or whatever. It’s not competition to see who can be the purest.

Fact is, you should think about every action you take and what consequences it has. I eat meat, because I struggle to enjoy vegetarian style food (although I try). But what’s better? Eating meat and driving 500 miles a week at 40mpg, or eating meet and driving 500 mile a week at 60mpg?

It doesn’t make a difference who’s telling you this. The answer is still 60mpg.

Tom-B
    Free Member

We’re almost into ‘significantly richer than yow’ territory…..not quite mind.

When fully back into the swing of pro musicianship, I’ll be doing 500 miles per week regularly. In the spirit of recommend what you’ve got….52 plate Renault Kango Trekka 4×4 and everything. Dunno about mpg…..seems to be fairly frugal though. Should leave you with about 14k change too.

el_boufador

Or not driving 500 miles.
    None of my business really but that seems a ridiculous distance to me.

trail_rat
    Free Member

When fully back into the swing of pro musicianship, I’ll be doing 500 miles per week regularly.

To band practice ?

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

but that seems a ridiculous distance to me.

I would agree but some people like driving ridiculous miles to work, or actually what I would consider driving ridiculous miles (any) to then ride a bike

As to why a big engined car. I’ve driven smaller cars with smaller engines, they might do slightly better mpg but they are not as comfortable over long distance or as easy/relaxing to drive

The plan will be to get a big car to handle holiday duties etc and the long drives and the get a small electric car for short local journeys

Tom-B
    Free Member

@trail_rat I gig nationwide. This weekend I’ll do nearly 500 miles….gigs in Shropshire and Somerset.

trail_rat
    Free Member

@trail_rat I gig nationwide. This weekend I’ll do nearly 500 miles….gigs in Shropshire and Somerset

I know. It was more an comparison to driving 500 miles to practice kicking a ball.

No mate that’s not how this works. It’s not about personal point-scoring, you can’t attack someone for telling you to use less fuel cos they eat meat or whatever. It’s not competition to see who can be the purest.

Fact is, you should think about every action you take and what consequences it has. I eat meat, because I struggle to enjoy vegetarian style food (although I try). But what’s better? Eating meat and driving 500 miles a week at 40mpg, or eating meet and driving 500 mile a week at 60mpg?

It doesn’t make a difference who’s telling you this. The answer is still 60mpg.

I wasn’t attacking you personally pal, just a generic way of STW thinking

Don’t focus on the meat eating per se, but if you have to, then what’s better? Eating meat and driving 500 miles a week at 40mpg. or not eating meat and driving 500 miles at 40mpg?

The answer is still, not eating meat

What’s better, going on a big plane to wherever, or going to Skeg?

It’s personal choice and none of us ALWAYS do what’s best for the environment was my point – albeit, I’m well aware I’m never going to manage to get it across on here in a driving thread

trail_rat
    Free Member

Just say what most folk say when justifying their actions.

“But China dont reduce their pollution why should we”

@trail_rat

Tell me about a year in your life

trail_rat
    Free Member

Eat cabbage drink water walk everywhere on my hands.

Set fire to my car and watched it burn.

Clearly that’s the only way I can have an opinion that changing a car specifically for doing big miles that buying a gas guzzler makes no sense on any level when perfectly adaquate comfy and nice to drive vehicles exist that are much kinder.

You have your big white caravan tower because few vehicles exist that can tow your mobile office/bed fair enough that has a purpose . But to just burn more fuel than the alternative is just daft.

molgrips
    Free Member

It’s personal choice and none of us ALWAYS do what’s best for the environment was my point

Of course we don’t. But my point is that we can at least make the easy choices. We’re not asking him to put up with some tiny crappy uncomfortable car for the sake of a few mpg. We’re saying that you can use MUCH less fuel with no downsides – a Passat/Mondeo/Superb or similar is a very capable car and is in no way a hardship.

Tom-B
    Free Member

Ah right!

Is the OP the same as from the football academy thread?

As an example…..I grew up in Staffordshire, lad in the year below me was in the Man City academy (I believe these days it’s seen as one of the best) Training x’s 3 would be a fair few hundred miles each week.

molgrips
    Free Member

As to why a big engined car. I’ve driven smaller cars with smaller engines, they might do slightly better mpg but they are not as comfortable over long distance or as easy/relaxing to drive

The size of the engine makes no real difference here. There’s no practical difference on a motorway between a 2.0 diesel with 150bhp and a 3.0 V6. It’s ludicrous to waste nearly half as much fuel again for that.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Yes Tom that was me.

We live in the countryside, anywhere is a distance away

As to all the eco warriors, if I don’t buy the nice big car someone else will. The likes of the 1.6 diesel or 2.0 Passats are not really any cheaper 2nd hand so why not buy the best tool for the job

Of course I could buy a full electric (well actually I couldn’t afford an electric car with enough range), and do people really think buying an electric car is more eco than buying an old car?

Thanks for all good input though !

There’s no practical difference on a motorway between a 2.0 diesel with 150bhp and a 3.0 V6. It’s ludicrous to waste nearly half as much fuel again for that

But they do not do 1/2 the mpg! Plus the engine is under less stress and is silky smooth.

molgrips
    Free Member

if I don’t buy the nice big car someone else will.

If you buy the nice big car you’ll contribute to the value of nice big cars being kept up, and ultimately this will result in one more nice big car not being scrapped. Also, given your mileage is pretty high, the other person who buys it is probably not going to be doing as many miles in it.

But you clearly don’t give a shit, so we might as well stop there.

But they do not do 1/2 the mpg! Plus the engine is under no stress and is silky smooth.

I said the big car would use half as much fuel again, which is a conservative estimate – 40 vs 60mpg, but really you’d be looking at 70mpg for a decent 2.0 as has been demonstrated.

A 2.0 TDI is also not under any stress when cruising at 70 (or even 80) and as for V6 being smooth – yes they are, but get the **** over yourself. Do you demand luxury in life and **** everyone else? If so, knock yourself out, this conversation is pointless.

Of course we don’t. But my point is that we can at least make the easy choices. We’re not asking him to put up with some tiny crappy uncomfortable car for the sake of a few mpg. We’re saying that you can use MUCH less fuel with no downsides – a Passat/Mondeo/Superb or similar is a very capable car and is in no way a hardship.

I don’t have any problem at all with people giving ethical advice and opinions (and probably very sensible opinions at that)

What I take issue with is the age old STW sancitmony on a car thread (easy target) when someone decides to take a personal choice to do something not quite so ethical and they get personally berated for their life choices by people who could probably make more ethical choices themselves in other walks of life that doesn’t just focus on a car

molgrips
    Free Member

What I take issue with is the age old STW sancitmony on a car thread (easy target) when someone decides to take a personal choice to do something not quite so ethical and they get personally berated for their life choices by people who could probably make more ethical choices themselves in other walks of life that doesn’t just focus on a car

This, along with most inefficient car choices in general is particularly egregious though because it’s all vanity. That’s why it attracts the most opprobrium. To suggest that a good 2.0 BMW, Merc or VW or something is not good enough to cruise motorways is just bonkers.

Two words there that I haven’t got a clue what they mean.

I’m off to Google 😉

Saccades
    Free Member

I do 400 miles a week on the motorway and love my v60, it’s the short lived 1.6 hdi engine for low emissions. It sits at 85 mph all day and returns 47mpg. It’s on 190k miles and sales through the annual test. Servicing every 10k is only 60 quid too.

It’s acceleration isn’t great (11 seconds to 60 I think) but that’s not something I need lots of too often when wafting. There are more powerful versions too if required.

Uber comfy and dirt cheap to run plus it’ll take a 29er inside easy.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Christ Molgrips – no one has said a 2.0 isn’t adequate. I’ve asked the question is a v6 nicer and most people have said yes they are

You could have been constructive on the thread as I have now read that you own or have owned a very large Merc, so thanks for being an arse as it made me look at your past posts and I’ve seen that you were not entirely happy with your big not so eco friendly Merc 😁

I will test drive a few cars but know now to be weary of big estate Mercs with AMG badges as they might not be that comfy. So thank you fellow big car enthusiast for your constructive input

davros

He’ll never buy your Merc now…

boblo
    Free Member

If it helps

Unnecessary

and

Critical feedback

There you go 🙃

Presumably people dragging mobile palaces around the country when tents/local accommodation are/is available should also be set fire to…? 😉

molgrips
    Free Member

I will test drive a few cars but know now to be weary of big estate Mercs with AMG badges as they might not be that comfy. So thank you fellow big car enthusiast for your constructive input

Yes, don’t get AMG Sport suspension with the 19 inch wheels. It is available with 18s though.

I’ve asked the question is a v6 nicer and most people have said yes they are

They are. I’d love one. But the extra fuel isn’t justifiable.

You could have been constructive on the thread

Get a Passat. Or press the hybrid button a couple more times on the BMW.

Presumably people dragging mobile palaces around the country when tents/local accommodation is available should also be set fire to…?

🤣🤣🤣🤣

Touché

@FunkyDunc
    my 4.2l V8 might be up for sale soon, buy that, it’ll really wind them up. Lovely comfy motorway cruiser, will return 30mpg if you’re drafting. 11mpg if you’re in a rush and will apparently do 160mph on the M40 🤔

Tom-B
    Free Member

Maybe surf-mat=awesome should be replaced with TAFKASTR=awesome ?

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 152 total)

The topic ‘Yes ! What Car – Motorway driving big engine?’ is closed to new replies.