Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Year from (very) Old Number Plate?
  • jackthedog
    Free Member

Anyone work out the year of manufacture of a car from the numberplate JH5298?

Been looking at old family albums with my gran over christmas. She was trying to think back to what year their little MG was. They owned it for a short period in the 50s but it was apparently quite old and knackered even then.

I said I’d take the numberplate down and look online to find out for her, but can’t work it out. Anyone good with old plates?

druidh
    Free Member

These plates are rare and are normally only seen on newer vehicles as cherished or personalised numbers. However, some still exist and were originally issued to vehicles first registered between 1903 and the mid 1930’s. The reverse (where the one or two letters
    follow the numbers) are very rare – only a few of these were issued in the 1950’s / 60’s when three letter plate combinations ran out.
    The one or two letters, in the above example AB, make up the ‘area identifier’ and indicate where the vehicle was first registered.
    Area identifiers for vehicles first registered from 1 September 2001 are different to those used with this system.
    If the plate is reversed, e.g. 1234AB, the two letters (AB) are still the area identifier.
    The numbers, in the above example 1234 are the individual element which give the vehicle it’s unique identity. The numbers are issued in sequence from 1 to 9999. Not all possible combinations of these plates were issued – and many have since been sold on as cherished numbers.
    Although this series of plates has long since ceased being issued to new vehicles, it is still in use for re-registrations for pre-1931 (‘vintage’) vehicles which need new plates. The current series being used for re-registrations is SV8000 – SV9999 which was never originally issued.

http://www.cvpg.co.uk/REG.pdf

Hertfordshire?

jackthedog
    Free Member

Thanks for that.

Up to mid 30s, that says. That tallies up with what we roughly think – that it was around a ’33.

No idea where it started life, but it ended up in Yorkshire. My grandfather was a mechanic in the 50s and 60s and the family never had money (we still don’t…) so no doubt it was picked up cheap and he did a lot of work on it.

My gran recalled that it was more comfortable than the motorbike and sidecar it replaced, but only just…

ivantate
    Free Member

Midget or TA? it might still be going, the mg car clubs have a register which might have some of its history on

andrewh
    Free Member

We could probably tell the year better from the picture of the car than the number plate, can you post it?

jackthedog
    Free Member

We could probably tell the year better from the picture of the car than the number plate, can you post it?

It’s in an old photo album at my grandmother’s house. I’ll grab a camera phone snap next time I visit.

Midget or TA? it might still be going, the mg car clubs have a register which might have some of its history on

Ha! Be nice to think it was still going. I get the impression it was fairly tired in the 50s. Not sure what specific model it was unfortunately. I’ve only ever heard it referred to as “The little MG”.

DezB
    Free Member

50s would be an MG A ?

Ah, sorry – was old in the 50s

druidh
    Free Member

They owned it for a short period in the 50s but it was apparently quite old and knackered even then.

Where was that thread about folk not reading the OP properly 😉

Edit: sneaky edit there.

jackthedog
    Free Member

(Edited to say I typed this before the edit…)

50s would be an MG A ?

No mate, this was a 30s car that my family owned in the 50s. From what my gran said, she was expecting something more like the above when my grandfather said he’d be bringing an MG back from work.

It looked more along these general lines:

1933 MG Magna MG2944 by jimbav, on Flickr

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Year from (very) Old Number Plate?’ is closed to new replies.