Viewing 17 posts - 81 through 97 (of 97 total)
  • Ye gods, my back hurts (numpty crash video content)
  • timnwild

I’ve done exactly the same thing, except forgot to pop the front up and dropped onto my shoulder blade – but thankfully got away with it a bit more than you did. Sorry you tumbled, but don’t let it put you off.

njee20
    Free Member

Persona is GW and I claim my £5.

persona
    Free Member

Persona: While I can see you are being “honest” you are also being a bit of a dick about it too (I’m just offering an Honest Critique of your communication Skills)…

there we go.. guess now I’ll probably be accused of provoking you to abuse me? 🙄

I think you could have been a shade more gentle with your delivery of truth rather than wading in there with “Brutal Honesty”…

Why? we’re all grown men, the guy’s clearly delusional about his level of skill and experience on a bike.. I’d certainly rather hear some “brutal honesty” than have a bunch of people with no clue how to ride patting me on the back for having a go at something way above of my level of skill and making a mess of myself.

I think the OP has been pretty open and receptive to Constructive criticism from most people in this thread…

Yes, me too. (including my constructive criticism) So why do you have your knickers in a twist?

njee20
    Free Member

I stand by my last post.

rickon
    Free Member

That video demonstrates exactly what happened to me yesterday afternoon, although the drop was considerably bigger, and a *knew* it was a chute not a drop-off/jump.

I had no full-facer, so my face broke my fall. Sat here looking like Stallone’s mum with botox. I don’t get why celebs pay to look like this, still I now have a reason why I’m drinking too much ale.

It happens and can happen to anyone, just a lapse of concentration, or a bad assumption, or a mis-timing.

All I’ll be doing for the next few months (well not all, but a lot) will be practicing falling and exiting the bike, so that if I get in the same situation I’ll dump the bike and be less of a mess.

Healing vibes to you too!

carloz
    Free Member

To be fair I think Persona made some pretty reasonable points based on the evidence and his blunt perspective was one of the few things that brought a smile to my face through the pain of my knackered shoulder today.

For me the ‘takeaway advice’ is:

1. If a split second decision is taking over 10 seconds then look for the chicken run
    2. You’re only as good as your last crash

Good healing to one and all 🙂

Legoman
    Free Member

Sorry, I didn’t foresee “comforting” other riders as a requirement in signing up for an internet biking forum?.. There’s certainly no mention of it in the rules

I don’t think the rules require you to have even rudimentary social skills either, but I think you’ll find they come in useful

JoeG
    Free Member

chiefgrooveguru

Wish I’d had a retracting head and hard shell armour like that! 😉

Going into things too slowly when I’m not fully confident is my biggest problem on the bike, which is why I still have a problem with most gaps. With more challenging drops I normally use enough technique (whatever you deem that to be) to land appropriately, even when it would have been easier to just ride in faster. I rode in somewhat distractedly on this, then approached the lip hesitantly and fell off the end before I’d gathered my wits. In retrospect it was like I was a passenger or observer. I’m not someone that falls often and it’s very rare for me to go over the bars. The split-second decision which went wrong was failing to stop before going over the edge.

I hobbled into my LBS today to chat about full-sus frames and he said that if you need to look at something more than twice before riding it then leave it for another day – that seems a wise approach.

P.S. Hi GW, missed you! 😛

alpin
    Free Member

njee20 – Member

Persona is GW and I claim my £5.

+1

although I quite like(d) GW’s style….

m1kea
    Free Member

I dipped on to Alex and Carl’s local forum this morning and saw the carnage thread which was a tad concerning. This video looks proper nasty though big props to Alex for posting it.

I freely admit to having no skilz, especially with this jumps/drops malarky but having tried to hang on to these guys around the local trails, I know they’re not complete newbie idiots.

Persona may have valid points but the presentation was somewhat lacking. 🙄

Get well soon fellas 🙂

LoCo
    Free Member

Glad you’re relativly ok, the run into that drop is a bit of a pain to keep your speed, the video has popped up on Facebook a few times on my feed now, you’ve ‘gone viral’ almost 😉

wrecker
    Free Member

I reckon the OPs got a bit of unfair shit for this. I mean really, who has not messed up a drop off?
    Pretty much every rider who’s the slightest bit adventurous has had an OTB I reckon. It’s a rite of passage.

LoCo
    Free Member

+1 wrecker, easy done on that drop, I don’t like it.

cbmotorsport
    Free Member

Wondering if you were looking down too? I used to have a problem with looking down when on jumps and drops, and it wasn’t until I started making the conscious decision to look up and through the obstacle that I got much better at them. Your bodies actions seem to follow the direction of your vision, or at least facilitate your progress towards it, even without thinking.

chiefgrooveguru

Once I’m back on the bike I shall put up a video of how I normally ride drops – I’m no big air merchant but I’m not this useless, honest! 😉

wrecker
    Free Member

Sometimes it’s a bit of bad luck. We’re human and sometimes we **** things up. I’ve ridden more difficult things than that, but I’ve also fallen off much, much easier.

Viewing 17 posts - 81 through 97 (of 97 total)

The topic ‘Ye gods, my back hurts (numpty crash video content)’ is closed to new replies.