Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • yay! think i just rescued my oily pads….
  • alpin
    Free Member

after forgetting/simply not tightening bleed nipple on rear brake i got oil all over the pads.

stuck them in a pan of burning meths and cleaned rotor. they were still squeaking and screeching but i rode up the hill today and came the whole way down with the back brake on/dragging.

got to the bottom and spat water all over the caliper and rotor. it hissed and fizzed and boiled.

now the pads seem ok.

fingers crossed and €20 saved.

turnip
    Free Member

till they fall apart later…

alpin
    Free Member

…..????

really? have you experienced this before?

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

As turnip said – It happened to me with one set I burnt to get rid of contamination – I destroyed the bod between the pad and backing plate. However I held them in a gas flame until they glowed red hot so probably much hottert than you got them.

However I have also had a pair that I successfully reclaimed by burning the oil off

alpin
    Free Member

nah, nowhere near glowing red…. they got hot in the pan (very beautiful flame from meths) and coming down the hill.

think they’ll be good. just relieved.

oldgit
    Free Member

Twice I’ve rescued pads with plain water and it’s worked, but no one on here will have it.

alpin
    Free Member

not surprised. vast majority of us can have plain water straight from a tap….

besides, your water is 2nd hand.

Wiredchops
    Free Member

I set my pads alight a few weeks ago after getting oil on them, lots of smoke, little flame in the gas hob. No problems since. Mine are sintered. Ran them many times since and competed in the ole kielder this weekend. Like you, am chuffed as I’m a tight git and £16 saved is a big thumbs up as far as I’m concerned.

coffeeking
    Free Member

Whats the point in putting them in a pan of burnign meths, that seems odd! Just get a solvent like the meths, give them a good clean all over and then give them 30 seconds over a blue flame until the wet appearance has gone, then a fine sanding on a flat surface and you’re good to go – they dont need to be baked to within an inch of their life and you dont need to burn off the meths, it evaps fast enough as it is, plus a more effective method of heating the pad is direct hob flame.

(done it twice to hope pads, one sintered, one organic, and a set of car front pads (organic))

alpin
    Free Member

naked flame = fun…..?

yeah, i stuck the pads under my shoes and scraped them around on the concrete floor a bit too.

oldgit
    Free Member

Your a F***in N.A.S.A scientist are’nt ya 😉

james-o
    Free Member

a pan of boiling water for 5 mins, sandpaper, repeat. worked for me a few times.

DezB
    Free Member

Thanks oldgit. I’m chuckling like an idiot at your comment.
    (But then I did have 1 bottle of beer about 2 hours ago)!

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘yay! think i just rescued my oily pads….’ is closed to new replies.