• This topic has 52 replies, 34 voices, and was last updated 5 years ago by DezB.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 53 total)
  • Yay technology!
  • molgrips
    Free Member

We got given a cheque recently. Yeah, I know..! Anyway it being a ball-ache to get to the bank this was looking like a problem. However she’s managed to pay it in via her phone! Amazing innit?

Of course it would have been better for the payer not to have to resort to such antiquated methods in the first place…

cynic-al
    Free Member

I like cheques. Not everyone wants to give out bank details

tomhoward

I like cheques. Not everyone wants to give out bank details

I assume you know the irony in that?

jimdubleyou

We got given a cheque recently. Yeah, I know..! Anyway it being a ball-ache to get to the bank this was looking like a problem. However she’s managed to pay it in via her phone! Amazing innit?

Welcome to the wonderful world of cheque image processing.

rene59
    Free Member

I thought cheques had been completely phased out a few years ago.

avdave2

1770 Daily cheque
    clearings formalised
    among private bankers
    at the Five Bells tavern
    in Lombard Street, City
    of London

molgrips
    Free Member

You don’t have to give out bank details to pay people electronically. There are numerous solutions that don’t require it.

nicko74

You don’t have to give out bank details to pay people electronically. There are numerous solutions that don’t require it.

Canada is backwards in so many ways, but their money via email solution (interac, a product of the big 6 local banks) is weirdly low-tech and also disconcertingly easy. You literally type in someone’s email address, a security question and there you go.

Although I could see it falling prey to financial scammers within about 2 hours of being rolled out in Europe, and it’s not really suited to business transactions.

DezB
    Free Member

Of course it would have been better for the payer not to have to resort to such antiquated methods in the first place

Usually bloody insurance companies isn’t it? Another reason to hate them. Can you imagine offering to pay their monthly installments by cheque?!

I have a cheque in my kitchen – Virgin Media sent it to me when I switched to Sky, my outstanding balance. £2.80. Really not worth the trip to the bank is it! How do I pay it in by phone?!

z1ppy

Umm can I ask how? (Yes I see the CCCC site but I sure they’ll want a cut)

As antiquated as they are, my road tax refund has come via cheque, even though i pay the DD… considering I’ve already lost one copy of it, and all my local bank branches have closed or don’t open saturday when I’m actually free(ish), give me a clue..

GrahamS

However she’s managed to pay it in via her phone! Amazing innit?

Which bank/app?

I was literally saying to the missus a few months ago that I didn’t understand why the banking app on our phone wouldn’t let us just take picture of a cheque to pay it in.

Have the banks realised the same now?

(If so, dammit, another patent opportunity missed)

jon1973
    Free Member

How do I pay it in by phone?

You call your internet banking number, roll the cheque up very tightly and poke it down the microphone in the mouthpiece.  I think that’s how it works anyway, I’m not very tech-savvy.

jimdubleyou

Umm can I ask how?

Your account provider has to offer the service. Most of the high street banks (except Natwest, I think ) offer it in their mobile app.

DezB
    Free Member

I’m not very tech-savvy

Obviously. There has to be a fax machine involved somewhere.

DezB
    Free Member

Molgrips, you ledge. I’ve found it in my Lloyds app. My £2.80 will not go to waste!! 😀

Clong
    Free Member

Echo dezb there. Awesome.

fossy

There is a limit off a few hundred I think with cheques.  Clever stuff though !

bikebouy
    Free Member

Most providers offer the service discount n their banking apps.

Camera on phone takes a form of PDF scan and applies it to your account.

Then post it to your bank.

Some credit as soon as the scan hits the account, some wait the normal 7days.. depends on your provider.

For instance: Barclays allow the scan, 7 days to credit the account.

Starling allow the scan and credit immediately (Starling are a Nat West subsidiary btw)

You can also scan cards and transfer money as well, again same principle but limited to £250pd.

leffeboy

I’m kind of caught with the tech stuff.  I LOVE the convenience, it really rocks.  I hate the idea that someone somewhere can decide that my account needs to be locked and I’m stuck :(.

I’ve been using the thing on our banking app recently where if someone owes you 17EUR  you say you want 17EUR, your phone creates a QR code, the other person scans and pays it from their account.  It sounds a hassle buts it’s way easier that trying to sort out change for 10 people

However,  because our bank also likes to tie physical people to linked accounts it meant that it went into our business account rather than personal account as I forgot to select and my name is after the company’s in the alphabet and that is now a real pita to sort and there is no way the bank can disable that feature :(.

But, stuff is moving on.  I sort of like it except for the central control bit.  Sometimes cash is king

tthew

This is one of the features Monzo are working on. As they also have no mechanism for paying in cash either, I suggested they could do this with bank notes. I’m not entirely sure they are going to implement my idea.

julians
    Free Member

The banks have wanted to offer this (paying in cheques based on an image rather than paper) for a long time,but it’s only recently that the regulator has changed the rules to allow it.it’ll save the banks a fortune if everyone switches to image based cheque clearing.

molgrips
    Free Member

This was with Barclays.  The cheque came from a school club as a refund.

Murray

Welcome to the USA in 2004.

I look forward to the good old days (1980) where Williams & Glynn returned your cheque to you after it had been cleared as a courtesy. That and “London clearing” which meant that I could get next day clearing of my pay cheque if I used the right NatWest branch in Watford.

That and Midland Bank getting a replica of an old Sperry Univac (I think) built in the early 90s so that they didn’t have to rewrite their cheque processing system for a more modern architecture.

Sod it – bring back copper plate ledgers!

dmorts

This is one of the features Monzo are working on. As they also have no mechanism for paying in cash either, I suggested they could do this with bank notes.

A photo of a tenner?

deadkenny
    Free Member

Welcome to the USA in 2004

Yet they only more recently got chip and pin and still in some places swipe and ask for signature, without checking it of course.

Contactless is finally taking off though. Kind of bypassed chip and pin.

Anyway, Barclays app depends on the account. They haven’t rolled cheque imaging out to everyone. I still haven’t got it and they introduced this last year at least. Only had one cheque to pay in over the last 5 years and that was from a bank who couldn’t be bothered to just transfer a refund into an account. Pain in the backside trying to get to a bank branch.

vazaha

If i don’t have a credit card because my bank won’t issue me one, and i can only ‘spend’ a maximum of £200 per day using a debit card, how do i buy something that costs £600 – even if i have more than that in my account?

If it were a face to face transaction in a shop i could write a cheque – otherwise i could go back over three consecutive days paying my £200.

What could i do for an on-line payment in such a scenario?

Well i say ‘if’, but this is a genuine question and not an attempt at facetiousness.

burko73

Vazaha is 12 I think.

You can use a debit card for whatever you have in your account plus whatever overdraft is in place.

The £200 daily limit is usually for cash withdrawals from a cash point.

vazaha

The last time i tried to buy something on-line that was >£200 with my debit card, not only did the transaction not go through, but i had notifications from my bank the following day asking if it was a ‘genuine’ request.

I’m not a person of wealth, nor am i twelve, but thanks for your concern.

akira

Hey vazaha is 13, 😀

Apologies.

RAGGATIP
    Free Member

Ooh happy birthday Vazaha. There’s a thread here for you young man… https://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/youngest-person-posting-on-here/

vazaha

This has all been very helpful.

Thanks.

We might wonder why people take on loans @ 000’s of % when they could just bung it on non-existent credit from ‘reputable’ banks.

Or we could all disappear up our own arseholes.

Cougar

If i don’t have a credit card because my bank won’t issue me one,

Shitloads of places offer credit cards beyond “your bank.”  That’s no reason.

https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/credit-cards/

nealglover
    Free Member

The last time i tried to buy something on-line that was >£200 with my debit card, not only did the transaction not go through, but i had notifications from my bank the following day asking if it was a ‘genuine’ request.

Thats nothing to do with a daily limit (which is for cash withdrawals only on most standard accounts anyway)

It was flagged as potential fraud and declined. Most likely because it was outside your normal spending habits (possibly) or maybe because the site you were using had been flagged previously.

Very in likely to be a daily spending limit though. Unless you have some sort of special account

kayak23

This is a revelation.

I can now pay in those £3.72 dividend cheques that I previously couldn’t be arsed to do anything with. 👌

molgrips
    Free Member

No need to be nasty to vahaza is there?

I suggest s/he talks to his/her bank because as above a £200 limit on a debit card seems implausible. Most likely a fraud thing. But the retailer should have been asked to call the bank at the till – this is what I’ve had in the past.

Stoner
    Free Member

you should try having a French bank account! They charge you for EVERYTHING!

My Credit Agricole a/c normally limits cash withdrawals on a rolling 7 day basis to €450 and €2300 per calendar month to payments. You have to pay €35 each year to increase those limits to €900 and €4000. Sure, very rare that you are going to hit those limits but to have bear it in mind when ever making a sizeable purchase or withdrawal is a ball ache.

We may not be huge fans of British banks, but they’re positively enlightened compared to the French system.

burko73

I wasn’t being mean to vahaza! No offence intended. Genuinely trying to be helpful in my post. Did make me think about people’s ages on here though…

stumpy01

So, looking on my phone the HSBC app lets you pay in a cheque, but I can’t find a way to do it with the Barclays app.

gobuchul
    Free Member

There is no limit on debit card payments.

I have bought cars with debit cards no problems.

Rich_s

A curse on ****ing schools and their pay by ****ing cheque systems. We’ve not had a chequebook for about 10 years and when eldest started in f2 we had to pay deposit by cheque!

Now he’s moved up to Junior School we paid a deposit for music lessons which we were able to sort using 20th century *cash*.

This involved manually generating a receipt which was popped in an envelope, walked 200m up the road to the Infants school, and given to our lad to bring home.

Anyway, thanks op. We have a 4 month old refund cheque in the house  the missus will almost certainly cash!

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 53 total)

The topic ‘Yay technology!’ is closed to new replies.