Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Yari RC vs 35 Gold
  • matt_outandabout

What is the difference?

It looks like they have same MoCo damping, 35 has Debonair that Yari RC doesn’t.
    They look the same chassis.
    I presume the 35 Gold is heavier/cheaper materials?
    Trickle down tech at play?

z1ppy

I assumed they were the Rev’s renamed, but I’ve read that the 35 is a complete new internals, not even motion control, & can’t be upgraded using other forks parts
    Edit: a quick glance at the web suggests this is Bollox & it’s a basic revelation…
    The Yari is the same chassis as the lyric, supposedly stiffer than the 35 or rev/pike. I go Yari & upgrade them to lyric standards over time (debonair & charge 2.1 upgrades)

joebristol

I think the 35 has thicker walled stanchions – and therefore uses different (thinner) bottomless tokens. It can’t take a charger damper I don’t think – or the 2019 debonair airshaft with the bigger negative springs. I’d prefer the Yari.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I asked RS and did some digging in the service manual and spares catalogue.

No its not a Revelation.

Yes it is a “debonair” spring, but the travel can be adjusted with spacers so it doesnt need a new shaft if you want/need a change.

The stanchions are thicker, or at least not the same as the rev/pike or yari/lyric so dampers aren’t interchangeable.

Bottomless tokens from 32mm forks fit.

There aren’t any upgrades, although I imagine someone like fast will make something at some point. I guess the rev-up could be adapted with a smaller piston?

If I was buying new Id probably get something “better” but as it’s OEM Im happy with them. Not had chance to give them a thorough pasting yet but on a quick test they’ve felt pretty good.

matt_outandabout

@thisisnotaspoon – have you ridden Yari? If so an ongoing comparison after a few rides would be good.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

My last RockShox fork was a Lyric RC2, the older Mission Controll dampers. So Im tempering my expectations that it wont be quite upto matching that!

endomick
    Free Member

Yari does have same debonair as lyrik, 35 uses cheaper materials, internals and adjusters, stanchions are thicker, air spring has odd travel spacers instead of just changing travel with air spring, 24mm tool for older caps instead of cassette tool caps, yari can turn into lyrik with a charger damper and travel can up to 180mm, 35 can’t do this. Yari is a superior fork in every way.

concrete24
    Free Member

Sorry for the thread resurrection but @thisisnotaspoon how have the ’35 Golds worked out? I am on a tight budget and am weighing them up against an older (new\old stock) Solo air Pike. Just general trail riding, nothing particularly extreme.

jedi

I hVe yaris with yariup compression damper. Amazing

bob_summers

Golds are working fine for my general trail minceage.

What I don’t like is the way they bob during climbing (locked or not) – it’s no worse than any other fork I’ve had but it’s ‘stickier’, if that makes sense. It knocks, like a loose headset or something, as they bob up and down through that first 1cm of travel. They might wear in – I’ve only done half a dozen rides on them.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I’ve not had chance to do more than a few rides on them as I’m determined to keep the new bike from grinding itself to bits over the muddy winter!

I’d sum them up as basic but functional. They’re faster and more sensitive than the original MoCo Pikes if you remember back that far. But not as “nice” as my old Lyrics. I’ve put nice in quotation marks as although you can feel them being more compromised (you’ve got an obvious trade off using the compression between stopping them bobbing and giving something to pump against and absorbing bumps) it’s more of a feeling than something that actually slows you down or really limits control though.

I’d suggest they’re probably fine for anyone on a hard tail. And 90% of people on FS bikes (as long as the rear shock could be tuned to match them). They’ll only be a limitation if either:

1) You can’t get them to match the rear shock and you end up with an unbalanced bike
    2) You’re really pushing their limits regularly (unlikely on a hardtail)

Wouldn’t buy them aftermarket unless the price comes down. Not when you can find things like non-boost charger pikes for ~£400. There’s really no contest as to which is the better fork. But the 35 is probably good enough for most people.

concrete24
    Free Member

Thanks both for the feedback – very useful.

lardman
    Free Member

I have Yari’s with aforementioned YariUp damper, but also have fitted a Smashpot coil spring to it. Works great with good all round control too.

dirkpitt74

Just upgraded my Yari RC’s to ‘ultimate’ spec with Debonair spring and Charger 2.1 RC2 damper.

First ride this weekend.

Can’t believe how basic the motion control damper is once it’s out.

jimdubleyou

The 35s were supplied on my new hardtail (big dog)

They still bob about, even when locked out.

The make a horrible squidgy noise when compressed in the workshop. Occasionally hear it whilst riding.

Being of a larger stature, I’ve put a couple of tokens in to maybe be able to drop the pressure a bit from the recommended maximum.

Last weekend’s ride I wasn’t hitting anywhere near full travel, but it was more of an XC like ride. Will try and have a play around with pressures etc this weekend or next.

My last hardtail had a 26 inch wheels and a coil shock so still getting used to having travel that works…

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I have Yari’s with aforementioned YariUp damper, but also have fitted a Smashpot coil

So a £450 fork, with a £250 damper and £300 coil spring? if it was anything less than “great” for £950 I’d be gutted!

Just looked at 35 prices and they’re down to £310. At that price I’d say they’re good VFM. If you need a new fork and that’s your budget.

If it was for a new bike and there was a bigger budget to re-allocate I’d probably try and scrimp on something else to find the money to upgrade. RS seem to have very compact pricing, £300 for a 35, £400 for a Yari, £50 for pikes, with differences like that it’s hard to not suggest just buying the best you can. As opposed to Fox where you have a 35 and a yari equivalent and then a £900+ model.

dirkpitt74

All in my Yari and the upgrades has cost less than £700.
    Got the forks for £400, RC2 2.1 Damper for £195 (black Friday on bike-discount) and Debonair spring for £42 from TF tuned (because bike-discount didn’t have any 170mm) and I cheated and paid a mechanic to fit them too.

lardman
    Free Member

So a £450 fork, with a £250 damper and £300 coil spring? if it was anything less than “great” for £950 I’d be gutted

Well, my Yari was £200 on a great sale a while back, the YariUp and Smashpot cost about £450, and to get a great performing coil sprung fork, with high and low speed damping circuits would be more than £700.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

My point was that whether it’s £700 or £900, it’s not £300.

lardman
    Free Member

It is indeed a chunk of money for a cycle fork. Hmmmm

thesurfbus
    Free Member

I have an old Yari with a Debonair and a new Lyrik with the 2.1 Damper, and I struggle to tell any difference between the two forks.

richmtb

Someone should do a chart of Rockshox chassis and internals. It would be a good way of selling upgrades

I’ve got a 2019 Revelation with a Debonair spring and a Charger damper, I think this is effectively equivalent to an older Pike (before the 2.1 damper came out) but this is nothing more than a guess.

concrete24
    Free Member

Ok, final question on this, (I think)!

Background is that I’m starting from scratch building a Solaris Max, (delivered today – haven’t been able to open the box yet)!

On a typical 20-30 mile ride, realistically 70% ‘could’ be ridden on a gravel bike, 20% very grateful for being on a mountain bike and 10% wahhh-hey!

Budget was £350 for the fork, looking at 120-130mm travel, boost.

I have tracked down (new):
    35 Gold 120 for £285
    Rockshox Revelation RC 29 130mm Debon Air one-loc – £398
    Pike Select 120 – £418

I think I am ruling the Gold out, partly because it is 2.5kg vs. 1.9 for the other two, partly because of some of the comments here.

I like the idea of the one-loc on the Revelation and it’s a bit nearer to the budget….but it’s the old motion control whereas the Pike Select is the charger (not charger 2).

Soooo…..take the pain on the budget and go for the Pike – or would the Revelation be just fine for my 10% moments…?

chakaping
    Free Member

Get the Pike, damping trumps everything else.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Pike (assuming not something silly like non-boost non-debonair).

35’s are good, but I’d pay an extra £120 for Pikes. Rev’s would be down to whether I was bothered by the weight (I wasn’t until you posted that!)

concrete24
    Free Member

Thanks both, you’ve confirmed what I thought.

The Pike select I’m looking at is definitely Boost, Debonair and Charger – looks like slightly upgraded version of 2019 Revelation Charger. It also has the benefit of being readily available with a 42mm offset which is closer to Cotic’s preference (46mm) for steering.

I’ll just tell myself it’s still considerably cheaper than the X-fusion fork I nearly bought with the frame, (and if my wife asks – I’ll say you made me do it!).

Sorry to have highlighted the weight difference – if it makes you feel better, I’ll probably have to buy some really heavy wheels now!

binman

Entertaining.

Didn’t realise they fork crown was different between Rev & Pike !

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘Yari RC vs 35 Gold’ is closed to new replies.