Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 64 total)
  • Yappy dogs and abusive neighbours
  • vorlich
    Free Member

Sunday afternoon was the straw that broke the camels back, after months of assorted neighbours dogs barking constantly, I snapped and went to have a word. I was polite but firm, but thought it telling that the owner never made eye contact during the exchange, just made excuses, missing my point that it was not just this particular instance that had prompted my complaint. Anyway, he said he’d bring the dog in and we left it at that. The barking did stop eventually.

Today I was out working on the car when said neighbour drives past, stops the car and proceeds to give me a ton of abuse, telling me how he’s been here ’63 years’ and never had any complaints. ‘And how long have you had the dog?’, I ask. 15 years allegedly, except this has only become a problem over the past 12 months…

Anyway, he’d obviously had a few days to stew about our previous exchange and again completely missed my point about my complaint not being about the odd bark on a Sunday afternoon, but constant yappy barking at all hours. So the conversation culminated in me saying if he doesn’t take action and start being more considerate I’d take it up with the council. At this point he threatened me that I’d ‘see what happens’ if I went to the police or council. I realise this can be interpreted two ways, but his tone made it clear it was a threat.

I gave as good as I got throughout this exchange, and am not intimidated by him, but I did not imply violence as he did.

So I’m now wondering if I should report the incident in case things escalate, purely so the police have a complaint on record. However, we’re planning on moving within the next year or two and wonder if keeping my powder dry is the best option. It’s clear from his attitude that he has no intention of discussing he issue. I’m concerned about having the noise compliant on record, as it could potentially come back to bite us later on.

nickjb
    Free Member

If you are planning on moving then any neighbourly disputes will need to be disclosed. I’d keep quiet, and hope they do, too.

rudebwoy
    Free Member

have you got a patio ?

utilise it

if not ,nows the time to ‘make’ one !

rudebwoy
    Free Member

is it one dog, or many, one neighbour or more– just thinking bout the logistics–how much lime you’ll need etc

phil.w
    Free Member

If you are planning on moving then any neighbourly disputes will need to be disclosed. I’d keep quiet, and hope they do, too.

+1

You’ve still got 10 minutes to delete the post 🙂

rudebwoy
    Free Member

no clue as to where it is so thats no worry– yappy dogs,they are annoying, made to be kicked 😉

binners

patriotpro
    Free Member

I think you know what you want to do but feel as though your hands are tied becuase you don’t want it on record…

You say you’re planning on moving in a year or two. Now that’s a long time to put up with it imo.

I’d report it to the council and the police (although to me he sounds like a grumpy old bloke and nothing else) then at least the ‘threat’ is recorded and go from there.

Either that or put up with it until you move.

v8ninety

Had exactly this problem with our next door neighbour’s dog last year. The dog whenever it was in there garden would bark insessantly at anyone it could see in our house or garden. It rendered our back garden virtually unusable all (short) summer, and even made having a shower a stressful experience. It came to a head when, exasperated, I had a forthright conversation with the female owner of the dog about it over the 4″ fence, and her position was that ‘dogs bark, get over it’. During the conversation the dog (a westie) spent the entire time jumping up at me snarling and barking. At the end of my tether with it, I actually tried to tap it on the nose, but missed. As a direct result of this, we had a knock on the door from an RSPCA inspector the next day. I explained the entire situation to the chap, who checked my story by, amongst other things, going into our bathroom to experience the barking dog nuisance for himself. The upshot of it was that the neighbours were warned that unless they could control their dog then they may have it taken off them. This worked and the dog was fitted with a electric shock collar, which was particularly satisfying I have to admit… 😈

Sooo; I advise the reporting to the RSPCA as a dog not under proper control and causing a nuisance. And keep a log, council official types like that shit.

kcal

+1 on the dispute front. May be you’ll be wanting to move sooner?

FWIW we had a barney of a dispute with our neighbour at the point where we put the house up for sale – way over the top behaviour; the solicitor was strongly sympathetic but really as said hands are tied at that point. Maybe he knew, I don’t know..

Sandwich

Small dog making a noise you say. Know anyone with a large hungry constrictor snake? Problem solved!

pingu66
    Free Member

@v8ninety

Don’t believe in cruelty to animals so cannot condone electronic shock collars on dogs. However used on the owner would probably elicit quicker results. Also you should have the controller.

vorlich
    Free Member

I don’t think I’m going to take any action just yet. I think I’ll start keeping a log, and let it serve as motivation to get a deposit saved….

pudd
    Free Member

My best friend is my jack russell called Ted. He’s nuts and yes his hobby is barking. He barks when letters drop through the letter box in the morning. He barks when and if i move quickly as he thinks its play time. He barks at imaginary cats and real ones but would never hurt one.
    Reality is there’s nothing anyone can do to stop him; he is a vocal dog. If my neighbour decided he couldn’t handle his barking and threatened action against me i’d take it as action against my dog; a dog who can’t be stopped barking and (nor do i want him to) i’d take it as an unreasonable request and would quite litteraly tell said neighbour to go F@©K himself.
    If you don’t like barking dogs or any other noise…… MOVE!

cloudnine
    Free Member

Pudd.. that’s a great troll post. +1

allthepies
    Free Member

+1 🙂

teef
    Free Member

stucol
    Free Member

Teef that must be a dog whistle you just blew, cos we can’t hear it !

mu3266
    Free Member

In all honesty, if the owner can’t keep the dog quiet, then they have failed in their duty to adequately train their dog which in some respects, is cruel not only to the dog, but anyone in contact with the dog, in my opinion.

pudd
    Free Member

Why is it a troll post? you’re all presuming that this fellas being 100% factual. Convenient given his neighbours not here to share his version of events. No one else has advocated Daft dogs and they’re owner’s and no one has suggested a degree of tolerance. Instead encouraging him to explore legal action.
    Fact is we are all capable of tolerance but some decide not to.

trail_rat
    Free Member

1 2 3 4 i declare a noise war …. Just go stand in the back garden when ever his dog starts barking and rev a 2 strokes tits off !

jappy
    Free Member

fact is you can train a dog not to bark, why put up with it

vorlich
    Free Member

I am moving pudd, I’d appreciate it if you could post up your address so I know where to avoid, you sound like a selfish ****.

bigbloke
    Free Member

😆 ^^^

cloudnine
    Free Member

Why should the OP be barked at incessantly??
    The yappy little dish licker is ruining his quality of life and the owner thinks thats ok.
    Why should the OP have to tolerate a dog barking at him all the time??

I would be inclined to buy a super soaker. Every time the dog barks at you it gets wet. It may learn not to bark at you.

Neil-F
    Free Member

“Pudd”. How appropriate! 🙄

Like kids, dogs can be trained to behave in the correct manner.
    Do you have a garden hose? 😀

hilldodger
    Free Member

Barkingh dogs are apparently “just trying to make friends” so give them a nice treat to show how much you appreciate their friendship, not too much though 😆
    http://ngm.nationalgeographic.com/2007/10/pets/chocolate-chart-interactive

pudd
    Free Member

Oh please. Silly little vorlich.

v8ninety

Pudd. You are wrong. if your dog barks all the time, not only are you a bad neighbour, but also a bad dog owner. OF course you can train a dog not to bark, some breeds more easily than others admittedly. ‘Tolerance’ works both ways, I’ll tolerate your dog barking now and then, IF you show a little empathy to your neighbours and train your dog not to bark inncessantly.

But you know that don’t you, you naughty little troll.

yossarian
    Free Member

Bad boy pudd, in your bed

thegeneralist
    Free Member

PUDD: My best friend is my jack russell called Ted.

I doubt that anyone would be surprised to hear that.

bigyinn
    Free Member

Probably his only friend if that’s his attitude.
    I honestly can’t believe that pudd’s post is serious. Nobody could be that selfish.

bigyinn
    Free Member

Just looked again, a member for a day. Hmm Fred reincarnated?

finishthat
    Free Member

pudd – you do not really qualify for your troll licence let alone a dog one.
    oh , and I would just deck you.

like from one troll to another ➡

pudd
    Free Member

You go girl friend. Who’s Fred?

Its easy to to insult/threaten folk when hiding behind a keyboard. Seems like a farely hateful subculture on this forum. I joined coz’ i love riding my bike and i believe single track magazine to be the best mtb magazine available.
    I put my two pence worth on this thread from a dog owners perspective. My JRT is a charming little dog who likes to talk. Its not all the time nor is it loud. My neighbours are all ace and are also dog owners, their dog escaped from their garden and ran straight into our open front door and our 6 month old on the floor. Scared the poop out of me as i had no idea what it might do to her. Didn’t call the police or council just grabbed its collar and showed it out of the house.
    My point being bitching on here won’t solve your issues with your neighbours in fact listening to random Tossers attempting to evoke an as emptive response is counter productive. Get over youself and learn some tolerance.

teef
    Free Member

Pudd quotes:

quite litteraly tell said neighbour to go F@©K himself.

I’m think there might be a flaw in your thinking – mind you I don’t think there’s much thinking going on in your head anyway

pudd
    Free Member

Emotive not emptive.

hora
    Free Member

Things you could do
    1. Slug pesticide over his garden fence
    2. Council noise unit
    Or
    3. Move

Nothing else will work

Junkyard
    Free Member

Pudd The Jack Russell is the brains of the outfit isnt it 😕

Does he also have the looks?

I cannot believe for second he is more charming than you though

patriotpro
    Free Member

pudd what if the dog had bitten your little ones face?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 64 total)

The topic ‘Yappy dogs and abusive neighbours’ is closed to new replies.