Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • xx44 Taped Headset
  • faz083
    Free Member

Afternoon all

I want to change my forks on my XX44 headset (genesis alpitude) to a tapered steerer, from a straight steerer. I tried fitting them in (as I thought the reducer was on the fork rather than the cup) but they didn’t fit. Can someone show me a headset that will fit? I guess the cup needs to be basically non existent because the current is fairly low profile, however it still didn’t fit.

cheers!

ratherbeintobago

You need to change the bottom cup from ZS44/30 (1?” zero stack) to EC44/40 (1.5″ external). Top cup should be fine.

faz083
    Free Member

Perfect explanation, thank you.

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/cane-creek/40-series-ec44-bottom-headset-ec026967

Gonna go for that, will move the bearings outside the frame which makes sense. Evans because I can pick it up tomorrow.

Does anyone know of a ‘low stack’ top cap? I have an FSA on the top which is about 12mm or something, I need a low stack one as the steerer is a bit short. By ‘top cap’ (I got the wording from the hope PDF but not sure) I mean the compression part which squeezes the bearings into the cup.

nc21

Recently did this on my Latitude with a Reba tapered fork. Had a Cane Creek top cap which was reused with a new bearing. Sorry cant give codes – bike in LBS to have new mech hanger sourced and fitted

faz083
    Free Member

All sorted thanks, picked up the bit this morn and fitted, runs perfectly.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘xx44 Taped Headset’ is closed to new replies.