Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • XX1 / X01 setup fun & games: Chain length & strange noise questions
  • Farticus

Right, I followed the instructions to the letter but my X01 set up (with XX1 chainring) isn’t running right.

It shifts beautifully both ways, finds the 10T cog and doesn’t drop or jump (after quite a bit of gaffing with the B-tension bolt). But if I put a lot of pressure through the cranks in 10T cog it sounds as if the chain is rumbling – almost as if I’ve got the chain wrong on one of the derailleur cogs. It only does it in 10T and none of the others. If I wind the adjuster in or out it makes no difference as far as I can tell.

So could it be chain length? I’ve used the large-to-large + 4 as instructed but it feels a bit slack and the derailleur is full back in 10T (not touching the cassette but it couldn’t cope with much more. Is this normal?

Once I’ve sorted this I’ll move to sorting out the random creaks!

Grateful for any suggestions, constructive or comical.

daver27
    Free Member

creaks are probably the cassette or rear mech, well documented elsewhere.

Did you set the chain length with the suspension fully compressed?

nickdavies

Check it’s all running through the mech ok, the jockey wheels are narrow wide too and can jump out of sync.
    I find mine quite rumbly under load, either putting power down or if it’s muddy, I think this is a lot to do with the narrow wide stuff just being a bit noisier.

Farticus

All set up OK – greased where it was supposed to be, and only 2 weeks old so should have grumbling mech pivots yet.

NW running as it should.

On a hardtail, so no suspension complications.

Puzzled … just back from a ride and same as described so not improving through use.

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

I had this, mine was chain length, too long!! Put it in 11th and see if the chain is rubbing on the other part of the chain where its crosses/folds , you’ll be able to see it touching each other

Also the b tension screw it’s imperative to get it right from the off, although if yours is shifting ok then I’d look again at chain length, it shouldn’t really have much slack in 11th

Post a pic as it will be easier to tell

iffoverload
    Free Member

smaller cogs are more notchy and rumbly, probably nothing to worry about.

try taking a link out and see if it improves as its a hardtail and no chain growth to worry about.

Farticus

Here’s the mech in 10T – I could get 2 links out and still be OK in 42T.

daver27
    Free Member

My X01 creaked from new, there are issues witht he cassette and mech, all covered under warranty that SRAM are aware of. mainly its the cassette, take it off and grease the hell out of the slined/threaded bit that you screw on. as in a LOT of grease.

as for the rumbling, stiff link in the chain maybe?

Farticus

Hell greased out of it now and creaking just about gone. Don’t have a torque wrench that goes to 40Nm so just went for bastard tight setting.

No stiff links, and only happens under load in 10T. Checked there is loads of dropout clearance so nothing to do with rubbing the frame.

Will have to wait to the weekend to find out more …

endurokid
    Free Member

What chain are you running? I had noise issues with a KMC X10L gold chain, switched back to XT and hey presto, noise gone!

Farticus

XX1 chain. Quite a few sites selling narrow-wide rings warn against KMC chains, IIRC.

dickie
    Free Member

Farticus – planning to go 1×10 in the next couple of weeks with a Hope Retainer (narrow/wide) chainring, KMC chain, & Absoute Black cassatte adaptor to 13-40T – is the KMC chain likely to be an issue with the Hope ring? – first I’ve heard of the issue.

daver27
    Free Member

no issues with my KMC chain, other than noticeably quieter than the XTR it replaced.

OP – could the noise be a slightly bent mech hanger?

Farticus

Nope, no bend to the hanger. All true and rickety-boo.

Where did I read the KMC chain warning? No idea – could have dreamt it. My 1 x 10 ran a KMC with no problems (General Lee kit).

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘XX1 / X01 setup fun & games: Chain length & strange noise questions’ is closed to new replies.