• This topic has 13 replies, 12 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by rone.
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • XX1 or X01 Cassettes?
  • notmyrealname
    Free Member

I need a new cassette for the bike which is currently running an XX1 cassette which has lasted surprisingly well!

Looking at the price differences, is an XX1 chain and cassette worth the extra over the price of the X01?
    Is the XX1 any harder wearing or is it just the colours that are different?
    I noticed that SRAM say that here is a coating of some description on the XX1 chain to make it more hard wearing but not sure if that’s just marketing blurb buy the more expensive bits.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

How much does weight matter?
    Getting a long life out of the GX one.

tomhoward

No difference, unless you are a full on weight weenie.

notmyrealname
    Free Member

I’ve got a GX cassette on my other bike and the shifting is pretty poor compared to the bike with the XX1 cassette, it’s also started creaking after only a couple of hundred miles so I won’t be going for one of those again.

c_klein87

sacked off xx1 cassettes as the prices have gone berserk, trying a hope cassette, seems a tad clunky to start with but so did xx1

bedmaker

I’ve had an XX1 on my main bike for the past year. I’ve been mighty impressed by the lack of wear on it considering it’s been used right through the winter. Considering a lot of weight weenie stuff could be expected to wear out extra fast, it’s been a pleasant surprise.

No sure how it compares to other ones down the range though.

deadkenny
    Free Member

XT or XTR cassette instead? Sure they’re not as super light as SRAM, but they’re a lot cheaper and shift perfectly fine in my experience, with SRAM mechs (from my experience with X9, X0 and X1 mechs and shifters + XT and XTR cassettes).

Though of course if you’re tied into proprietary XD freehub then you’re stuck with SRAM cassettes, though you could swap the freehub maybe 😉

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

XX1, purely as they don’t look sh*t after 3 muddy rides.

You can replace just the aluminium 42T ring if that’s the only one that worn out (usually) the steel rest of it lasts a ridiculously long time.

notmyrealname
    Free Member

I’m stuck with the XD driver as I don’t really want to be buying new freehubs as well if I can help it.

Never really thought much about the looks once the black coating wears off but now it’s been mentioned…

jonnyrockymountain

XX1 all the way

Dave
    Free Member

the steel rest of it lasts a ridiculously long time.

That’s my experience of them…

boxxer7
    Free Member

Got an X01 cassette on my main bike that’s done over 2500 miles and is just starting to get ropey, as above I’m thinking of going XX1 purely on the not looking shit after one ride basis.

mactheknife

notmyrealname – Member
    I’ve got a GX cassette on my other bike and the shifting is pretty poor compared to the bike with the XX1 cassette, it’s also started creaking after only a couple of hundred miles so I won’t be going for one of those again.

I have had (in order) X01, XX1 and GX. In all honestly i have noticed one bit of difference between them. Shifting has felt the same throughout. No offence intended but it may be down to set up, i doubt its the cassette.

It was the bonkers pricetag that put me on to GX and i am really glad i did. The only downer is not being able to for a 44t big ring but hey ho.

rone

As per mactheknife. Had those three.

Happy with any.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘XX1 or X01 Cassettes?’ is closed to new replies.