Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • XX1 chain length weirdness…
  • ridethelakes
    Free Member

Anyone had any issues with XX1 chain length?

I fitted the chain according to the instructions in the box which as you can see says to add two links:

The chain felt a bit tight with the mech really extended so I checked online and the sram doc says to add four links:

Anyone know which one is right?!

I called sram but they said they don’t talk to people and I need to talk to my dealer (who is in Germany…).

br
    Free Member

Anyone know which one is right?!

Whichever one actually works, would be my guess.

gee
    Free Member

I seem to remember from other riders it’s add 4 links.

Superficial
    Free Member

The first option just seems plain wrong – 2 links doesn’t add much length, and for that extra length, then chain has to go through the derailleur AND accomodate any chain growth from the suspension.

I don’t really understand the need for diagrams like that. Just put it all together and shorten the chain a bit, but not so much that it’s overstretched.

(P.S. I understand the nuances of the XX1 parallel shift thing which means chain length is more critical, before anyone says.)

ridethelakes
    Free Member

Here’s a pic with it as it is (2 links as according to the first instructions):

It tightens up a bit when the suspension compresses but there is still room for the derailleur to move further.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

is this not all screwed when you swap the easily swappable chain rings as your going mostly up hill on the weekend?

ridethelakes
    Free Member

Mike – yes, if you change the chainring you need a new chain! The range works for me though so I won’t need to be swapping chains.

Superficial
    Free Member

Going from a 32 to a 38 would require an extra ‘complete’ link (I.e. one fat one thin piece of chain). So not a huge difference.

100mphplus
    Free Member

I did mine as ‘normal’, took shock off, fully compressed rear end, which did grow the chain at least 2 links, then added 2 links, which equates to the online SRAM doc of +4 links if that just runs the chain round without compressing the rear.

notmyrealname
    Free Member

I did mine with 4 links as per the lower picture.

You can supposedly move up or down one chainring size without having to do anything about the chain, not too sure that it’d work though!

chiefgrooveguru

Going from a 32 to a 38 would require an extra ‘complete’ link (I.e. one fat one thin piece of chain). So not a huge difference.

When did (38-32)/2=1?

Superficial
    Free Member

When did (38-32)/2=1?

Since the chain only goes around half of the front chainring. But I meant 36, not 38. 😳

Chainline
    Free Member

4 individual links plus the power link is correct. So two full external plates plus power link.

ridethelakes
    Free Member

Cheers all. I called Fishers and they said to go off the most recent doc which would be on the website but two links would be ok for a hardtail.

100mphplus
    Free Member

You can supposedly move up or down one chainring size without having to do anything about the chain, not too sure that it’d work though!

I’ve done it +/- 1 rings size each way and it’s been fine. I change the Fr depending upon how steep the transition climbs are in gravity enduro races.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘XX1 chain length weirdness…’ is closed to new replies.