• This topic has 9 replies, 7 voices, and was last updated 10 years ago by bol.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • XTR Trail brakes – Wowzers
  • ddmonkey

I got a second hand pair, fitted them to my bike and they weren’t working very well so I just serviced them and fitted new pads, cleaned the rotors.

They are now so powerful all I need to do is think about braking and the wheels lock up! Any tips on how to tone them down a little or should I just let them bed down and get used to them? Should I try to let a few drops of oil out to reduce the instant effect?

Northwind

Software upgrade

ddmonkey

Really?

rewski
    Free Member

No, I was the same when I first got formula r1s, you’ll soon learn to feather and modulate both the brakes lightly, new pads will bed in too.

slackalice
    Free Member

Smaller rotors.

Or oil.

😉

badbob
    Free Member

Avids?

matt_outandabout

You can give them to me, and I will swap them for Juicy 3’s, thereby removing your problem with excess power…

ddmonkey

He he Avids very funny 😆 I tend to like my brakes quite grabby so I suppose I’ll get used to it quite quickly, glad I swapped down from a 203mm rotor on the front to a 180mm rotor otherwise it would be ridiculous.

badbob
    Free Member

🙂

i went from some very worn/old shimanos to new XT’s, rather shocking just how powerful!

few rides and you get used to it, single finger braking! ( 203 front, 160 rear)

bol

I swapped from XX Avids to XTR and must admit I’m still at the stage where I think I prefer the modulation of the Avids. The XTRs are hugely powerful and confidence inspiring though. And they’re very shiny.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘XTR Trail brakes – Wowzers’ is closed to new replies.