Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • XTR SL-M980 10 speed lever – Is it fixable?
  • bikesandboats
    Free Member

Hi helpful stw’ers,

I bought an XTR SL-M980 10 speed lever second hand and there is a lot (maybe 10mm) of up and down play in the shifter lever (the one that shifts into easier gears).

Is there anyway to fix this? I opened up the lever and couldn’t see anything obvious, I didn’t want to poke around too much incase I couldn’t re-assemble it.

Thanks in advance for any help!

Ambrose

I am always prepared to try to fix anything but I must say that shifters flummox me. Are all the screws tight? It sounds like a pivot has come loose.

bikesandboats
    Free Member

All the screws that hold the case together are tight, I’m not sure if there are any other screws or bolts inside that could be tighter…

Ambrose

Removing the outer casing is easy enough. Perhaps do it in a big polythene bag to catch any potential loose bits. Once removed you can inspect the spring loaded wizardry within and nip up any loose screws etc.

bikesandboats
    Free Member

spring loaded wizardry

This is my issue, can these things actually be taken apart and reassembled? If there is something that can be tightened then it’s underneath the springs and stuff and I think it’ll never go back together if I take it apart!

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘XTR SL-M980 10 speed lever – Is it fixable?’ is closed to new replies.