Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • XTR shifter set, wtf are all these extras?
  • alexj33
    Free Member

So, I went the whole hog on my 90’s new retro build and bought the XTR shifter set (it was on offer for €20), I’ve set up plenty of bikes before, but I’ve never seen some of these bits and frankly I have to admit I don’t know what to do with them all.

I can’t add a picture, so all the parts can been seen here
    https://bike.shimano.com/en-EU/service-upgradeparts/mtb/category/shifting-cable.html

-Sealed shift outer caps: I’ve figured out that these slot onto either side of the frame cable stops, why they give you 7 of these I have no idea. The additional rubber piece of these I’ve heard actually adds to the friction, so I’m wondering whether or not to use these these, any experiences?

They also give you two what look mini harpoons that as indicated on the back of the box are supposed to go on the derailleurs (my FD won’t take it), I’ve never seen them fitted to any bike (although my experience of top end bikes is low), seems like they would add friction, thoughts?

kelvin

All that stuff is very useful if you have a section of exposed inner cable, using cable stops, on your frame. If you have one continuous piece of outer, from shifter to mech, it’s all redundant.

alexj33
    Free Member

Yeah, its an old school frame so there’s exposed cables everywhere, unfortunately.

The aluminium ferrules you’re supposed to fit at the derailleur end are really tight on the housing, should I force the cable in there with pliers?

kelvin

Should be nothing to force.

The “harpoons” go on the cable stops, where the exposed cables are, to stop dirt and water ingress. Rubber seals slide onto them.

kelvin

There’s a diagram and descriptions in here:

https://si.shimano.com/pdfs/dm/DM-SL0005-04-ENG.pdf

kelvin

Long “harpoons” are for internal routing, shorter ones + rubber bit are for external routing.

I only remember plastic ferrules going into the rear mech itself, not metal ones, but the metal ones are mentioned in that PDF.

vmgscot

Grit and crap working into the end of exposed cable stops will likely add MORE friction over time than using the little cable condoms – I always fitted them. XTR 9 speed is still the best shifting kit I ever had.

granny_ring

I’ll take them off your hands OP if you don’t need them all.

alexj33
    Free Member

@vmgscot It’s a 9 speed build so I’m looking forward to getting it up and running.

@kevin
    Thanks for that link it was very helpful, they should include that image of the frame and component locations on the back of the packaging!

I think you’re misunderstanding me on the harpoons though, they are not the first part of the two part condoms, they can be seen here at the bottom,
    https://bike.shimano.com/en-EU/product/service-upgradeparts/shimano/WP-Y01V98112.html
    labelled as: Cover with tongue for rear derailleur (1 pc.)

I will fit them all, as I now know how they go together, thanks for the messages.

@granny_ring
    I would be happy to, will have 4 spare, unfortunately I live in Brussels these days and postage is not worth considering these days post Brexit.

granny_ring

No worries chap, would only sit in the spares box for a bit anyway!

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘XTR shifter set, wtf are all these extras?’ is closed to new replies.