Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • XTR pedal axle. Will any other axle fit ?
  • Bought some Deore XT cranks with one of the pedals stuck in them.
    These ones, since you ask.

The usual “strip the pedal down and clamp the axle in a vice” trick didn’t work.
    I had to resort to heating the axle, putting all the heat into the middle of the axle and letting it conduct up to the threads, rather than risk burning the paint and lacquer on the aluminium.
    This meant I ended up bending the axle as I undid it, although I saved the crank.

A new axle is £30, but it seems there’s a bit of a reliability problem with them anyway.
    So, will any other axle fit ?
    Is it worth buying cheaper Shimano pedals just for the axles and swapping the bodies over ?

Candodavid
    Free Member

Which pedal, I have an odd xtr pedal

iain1775
    Free Member

I looked into this late last year and came to the conclusion they didnt
    Which was a bugger as I didn’t need the whole axle assembly but could I hell find any ball bearings the right size

Think I got mine for about £24 in the end, can’t recall but think it was Wheelies, or Tweeks

Edit my pedals where the latest Trail versions, if that makes a difference

It’s the right hand one, Candodavid, but it does sound like there was a problem with XTR pedals at one time and as these are out of warranty, I’d rather not take a chance on them breaking.

IA

IIRC with older XTR the XT axles fit, and are the only difference between the models. I’d either look at parts diagrams or wait for someone to confirm tho…

(but then if you buy new XTs/m540s may aswell run those, if the axle is the only difference…)

JoeG
    Free Member

Parts interchangeability is in the techdoc

Thanks JoeG, that’s exactly what I wanted.

Looks like I could have a new business plan too; buying M520 pedals at £17 a pair, stripping them down and selling the axles as XTR for £30 each. 😉

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘XTR pedal axle. Will any other axle fit ?’ is closed to new replies.