Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Xtr m970 pedal problems.
  • damascus
    Free Member

Hi,

My left pedal isn’t holding my foot and it keeps popping out at the worst times. I’ve tightened it and it has a good click but still does it. In fact if I wobble my foot it goes in without a click and comes out.

I’ve stripped them and cleaned them and come to the conclusion that it’s the cover plate that’s worn down as I always clip out on my left foot.

A quick Google has found the part I need but they are about £17 each and I need two!

Before I pull the trigger on this am I right? And if so, does anyone know a cheaper place? Bearings need doing too and I’m wondering about just replacing with a new set. My m540s on my winter bike have been bomb proof.

Thanks in advance.

This is the bit I think I need (new part, not a worn part off my pedal)

cyclistm
    Free Member

I’d be tempted to try new cleats first.

damascus
    Free Member

@cyclistm I’ve tried 3 different pairs of spd shoes. There is a slight improvement with a pair of shoes with brand new cleats but they still pop out.

I found this reply to a similar thread 11 years ago by @cynic-al which is what brought me to thinking I need new plates.

The screw moves the spring no? Work out why it is not doing so? Should all be visible Shirley?

njee20
    Free Member

You can see how worn yours are, they’ve got a much deeper curve.

I wouldn’t pay £34 on spares for some 10 year old pedals though, I’d just buy new ones.

Superficial
    Free Member

Yeah, buy a set of M520s. I just replaced that (snapped) bit on my M985 XTRs with one from an old set of m520s. Works fine, feels fine. I’m not sure if the metal is different but I don’t think so.

4 cages for £20 or whatever those pedals cost these days.

Onzadog
    Free Member

Congratulations on having XTR pedals that old. Most of them, the threads went on the spindle and the pedal parted company.

Both mine did at about 3 years and 1 week old.

damascus
    Free Member

Congratulations on having XTR pedals that old. Most of them, the threads went on the spindle and the pedal parted company.

Both mine did at about 3 years and 1 week old

@onzadog
    . These are actually 2nd hand and been great. My new pair of xtrs snapped when I tried to take the axle out to service them and got a refund. I wouldn’t buy another pair of xtrs when these go.

damascus
    Free Member

My new pair of xtrs snapped when I tried to take the axle out to service them

Just to update the thread. I managed to find a pair of xtr pedals on ebay “spares or repair” as above the threaded insert nut had snapped making them FUBARD.

I won the bid at £8.50 with free p&p and paid straight away. The day after I got a refund saying, sorry, I can’t sell them, they are in too bad a condition.

So I emailed the seller saying, you advertised them as spares or repair showing the broken pedal and the bits I want are fine. It’s ok, I still want them but they didn’t reply and I thought what a prick!

3 days later the pedals turned up and I thought what a nice person! 🙂

So, just in case your out there and reading this, thank you. Not everyone on ebay is a 🛎️end

Just fitted them and fixed my pedals! 👍

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Xtr m970 pedal problems.’ is closed to new replies.