Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • XTR m970 crank installation
  • tails
    Free Member

when installing the none drive side crank do the splines fit all the way on the axle before tightening the bolt should i give it them a wack with a rubber mallet?? Currently there is a good 7mm gap between the crank and bb

thomthumb
    Free Member

hit it with a rock!! 😆

Stu_N

The bolt will push the crank onto the axle. It’s not just a hand fit like Hollowtech 2 cranks, more like the original Octolink/ ISIS sort of splined fitting cranks where they have a bit more of an interference fit.

Just be very sure the splines are lined up perfectly – if there is undue resistance then don’t force it.

The guide on park tool website is very clear, better than the Shimano instructions anyway.

tails
    Free Member

**** feel like it

KINGTUT
    Free Member

Don’t his it with anything, read the instructions again, M970 installation is a faff and you need to follow the instructions faithfully.

Stu_N
    tails
    Free Member

thanks stun very helpful i didn’t realize the amount of force required was so great

Anthony
    Free Member

Can’t say there is a great deal of faff to be honest. Bolt up crank, turn the bearing collar, nip up collar – job done.

There is only about 2mm of threads on the collar though so you need to get the crank over a bit yet in order to load the bb bearings.

simply_oli_y
    Free Member

i wouldn’t say its a faff.
    piece of piss imo. i prefer that to the proper ht 2

tails
    Free Member

right there on! strange how i’m happy to put a bike through a rock garden yet don’t wanna apply any force when fitting pricey kit. No way a better idea than normal ht2 mind

simply_oli_y
    Free Member

takes 2 mins to fit/remove.

and more secure in effect. whats not to like?

tails
    Free Member

well if it takes two mins normal ht2 takes one min. whilst the bearing preload may be a slightly better solution I don’t really like applying so much force to mate the spline fitting. I’m sure threads could be stripped. I felt ht2 was a very nice solution and probably the bb bearings are an area in more need of attention from shimano. how often do you here of people wanting to upgrade there bb. Out of interest i’m assuming you use xtr, when you spin your cranks by hand how many revolutions do you get?

simply_oli_y
    Free Member

i just think its neater/better.
    do you mean with no chain on them? quite a few, 6/7 times anyway.
    i wore out the shimano, and fitted a hope ceramic. its super smooth, and much nicer than the shimano jobs,

tails
    Free Member

Hmmm I’m getting less than 1, with no chain on them. perhaps i’ll remove them and start again. need to buy a torque wrench.

simply_oli_y
    Free Member

would expect it to spin a couple times with a normal shimano bb…

tails
    Free Member

okay i’ll have a little play tomorrow evening

bigrich

430 quid? smack it with a lump hammer. be fine.

Marge
    Free Member

When I installed both of mine, I only got 1 or 2 revs when spun by hand (with new BBs’s) but after 1 ride they were also at the 6 or spins.

(I think that is a good sign that the bearings need a little bedding in)

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘XTR m970 crank installation’ is closed to new replies.