Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • XTR M9100 cranks for single speed ?
  • noltae
    Free Member

Really like the look of the latest XTR M9100 direct mount cranks and have been wondering if they would be ok for a single speed set up ? I ask because their are limited aftermarket chainring options and as far as I can tell all of them including the Shimano one too are optimised for 12 speed – Is this a problem pertaining the pattern of the chainring teeth – Does one have to use the proprietary XTR chain for it to work properly?

mattbee

Can’t answer for sure but with regards to the chain- the inner plates of the ‘narrow’ part extend into the ‘wide’ part, if that makes sense?

I found that the Shimano chain (XTR) didn’t play nicely with an 11 speed N/W ring (Praxis Wave) as it caught on the teeth and wouldn’t release cleanly. I’m using a KMC 12 speed chain to combat that problem, as I’m waiting for a ‘Shimano’ compatible SRAM direct mount style ring to be available for my Praxis Lyft cranks.

I do wonder therefore if the shaping of the Shimano ring teeth allows for that extra material in the chain and would be less secure when used with a ‘normal’ chain, or whether it wouldn’t make any difference A’s with single speed you have chain tension to stop any slack and retention isn’t as much of an issue in the same way as with a derailleur.

benpinnick

It should work fine. The teeth are a bit narrower so expect faster wear but otherwise crack on.

noltae
    Free Member

Doesn’t sound optimum considering the price but I’ve already got the XTR race brakes and wanted to get the cranks too – Anybody know if there are any ‘normal’ chainrings compatible with the M9100 crank ?

noltae
    Free Member

Update – Contacted Wolftooth – who informed me I can use any rear single speed cog with the XTR M9100 compatible chainrings so long as I use the Shimano HG+ chain .. Great ‘blingle speed’ option if you don’t want carbon cranks .

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘XTR M9100 cranks for single speed ?’ is closed to new replies.