Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)
  • XTR M9000 11sp rear cassette Q
  • bennyboy1
    Free Member

Looking at the cost of going 1×11 on my xc race bike in the next few months and trying to weigh up the pros / costs of XTR m9000 vs SRAM XX1.

I wanted to double check, does the XTR m9000 11sp rear cassette require a XD rear freehub or is that just required for the SRAM 11sp cassettes? The cost of XTR 11sp rear cassette vs SRAM 11sp XX1 + XD freehub for a DT Swiss DT240 rear hub might be a deciding factor.

hatter

I’ve got an M9000 11-speed cassette, fits on a normal Shimano freehub no worries.

Rorschach
    Free Member

Xtr 11sp cassette fits on a standard (10sp compatible) freehub body.

everyone
    Free Member

Only the SRAM stuff needs the xd driver. Why would you not go for the extended range that SRAM gives?

I’ve not looked at prices so I don’t know which is cheaper.

tomhoward

Yeah, normal free hub for xtr 11speed, xd for sram

While sram is more expensive, it has a wider range and (much) lighter cassette.

The-Swedish-Chef
    Free Member

The XTR cassette fits on a normal freehub. Think I’ll see a lot of people racing this set up this year, just makes sense to me.

njee20
    Free Member

I’ve not looked at prices so I don’t know which is cheaper.

And therein lies your answer 😉

FWIW, I’m using an XX1 cassette with XTR mech and shifer which, cost aside, is the best combo IMO!

hyena
    Free Member

njee, looking to go down the same route myself. How are you finding the hybrid setup? did you need a long cage mech to handle the sram cassette.

njee20
    Free Member

It’s fantastic, medium (GS) cage mech is fine on a hardtail, not checked how close it is if you’ve got a frame with a lot of chain growth.

everyone
    Free Member

And therein lies your answer

Well I’d assume that SRAM would be more expensive due to new freehub etc. but you can never be quite sure with bike parts!

LeeW

I’m running a Sram cassette with Shimano shifter/derailleur, finally managed to get a Mavic XD freehub body so I can put my new wheels on the bike.

Just as an aside, the Sram cassettes are milled from steel rather than being aluminium/Ti, the steel will last quite a lot longer than the alu meaning although it may be slightly more expensive, it should work out cheaper in the long run.

100mphplus
    Free Member

Has anyone tried the shimano cassette with XX1 mech & shifter?

I have XX1 already and was requiring a new cassette.

Adam_Buckland
    Free Member

Has anyone tried the shimano cassette with XX1 mech & shifter?

Not exactly but I run XTR cassette and rear mech with Sram X01 gripshift and it works perfectly.

dirtyrider
    Free Member

why would you go for one with less range that is heavier?

DanW
    Free Member

I have XX1 but miss the multi release shifter and general more solid, quality feel of Shimano shifting. If I were buying again I’g go for the hybrid setup Njee has. Put the pennies you save (compared to XX1 mech/ shifter) on the slightly cheaper XTR mech and shifter towards the XD freehub and SRAM cassette. Best of all worlds.

I don’t think anyone really knows about the durability of the new XTR cassettes but Lee makes a great point that the XX1 cassette wears really well so could actually work out cheaper in the long run- certainly compared to the Shimano cassettes I’ve used previously anyway.

njee20
    Free Member

Just as an aside, the Sram cassettes are milled from steel rather than being aluminium/Ti, the steel will last quite a lot longer than the alu meaning although it may be slightly more expensive, it should work out cheaper in the long run.

As Dan says, whilst you’re right, there’s no aluminium in an XTR cassette, just steel and ti. XX1/X01/X1 have the 42t made of alu, and some people have found it wears if you use it too much (no surprise), if you don’t then longevity is very good. Better than XTR (10 speed) IME.

sillyoldman

40T on XTR is Alu.

njee20
    Free Member

Apologies, so it is, hadn’t realised that.

RickDraper
    Free Member

I have XX1 cassette and XTR Medium mech’s on two santa cruz full suspension bikes and its been spot on on both, no issues at all.

Superficial
    Free Member

FWIW, I’m using an XX1 cassette with XTR mech and shifer which, cost aside, is the best combo IMO!

I presume the indexing all works fine for you in this setup?

I don’t think I understand why the XX1 cassette needs a wider freehub if the spacing is just the same? Or is the reason for the different freehub with SRAM just because of the 10t sprocket?

What are the advantages, other than your cassette weighs a bit less and costs a lot more?

tomhoward

Or is the reason for the different freehub with SRAM just because of the 10t sprocket?

Bingo

DanW
    Free Member

I don’t think I understand why the XX1 cassette needs a wider freehub if the spacing is just the same?

Both 11 speed XTR and XX1 cassettes are wider than 10 speed. Shimano decided to hang the biggest sprocket over the freehub a bit more towards the spokes while SRAM designed a new freehub which also allows for the 10T sprocket.

What are the advantages, other than your cassette weighs a bit less and costs a lot more?

Possibly wear rate also as mentioned above. A cheaper cassette could be a false economy in the long run. More gear range too if that is important to you

njee20
    Free Member

As said, it gives you a better range, it lasts longer and it weighs less, what other benefits could a cassette (or any component) possibly deliver!?

I presume the indexing all works fine for you in this setup?

Flawlessly. Better than the XX1 shifter did.

notmyrealname
    Free Member

So that should mean that an XX1 cassette should work with an XTR Di2 shifter and mech too 😛

Time to start knocking out some overtime for a bit of bling for the bike maybe!

njee20
    Free Member

So that should mean that an XX1 cassette should work with an XTR Di2 shifter and mech too

Yes, definitely.

nemesis
    Free Member

Adam_Buckland – Member

Not exactly but I run XTR cassette and rear mech with Sram X01 gripshift and it works perfectly

Did I read that correctly – XTR rear mech with SRAM (grip)shifter shifting properly? Is the cable pull the same?

bennyboy1
    Free Member

Thanks all for the above.

Certainties for me are therefore XTR 11sp rear shifter and XTR 11sp rear mech (this ends up being approx £145 cheaper than XX1 equivalents).

I’m still weighing the cassette up on a cost basis although I’ll most likely just plump for an XTR 11sp initially:

– XTR 11sp cassette e.g. £151.99 at Merlin
    or
    – XX1 Cassette £229.99 (CRC) + Roval / DT Swiss XD Freehub £90 at LBS = £320

dirtyrider
    Free Member

prices on the SRAM cassettes seems to have gone up recently,

njee20
    Free Member

Certainties for me are therefore XTR 11sp rear shifter and XTR 11sp rear mech (this ends up being approx £145 cheaper than XX1 equivalents).

Lighter too.

tomhoward

Love how XTR is now the ‘budget’ alternative 😆

Adam_Buckland
    Free Member

Did I read that correctly – XTR rear mech with SRAM (grip)shifter shifting properly? Is the cable pull the same?

Yes that’s right it seems that both Shimano and Sram’s 11 spd off road groupsset share the same pull ratios and spacing so all parts are interchangeable and in me experience work flawlessly

leth
    Free Member

Slight thread hijack.

To all those running a mix of Shimano and Sram bits, would say a SRAM XX1 crank with narrow wid chain rings be compatiable wit a Shimano rear cassette. or vise versa?

dirtyrider
    Free Member

Of course

leth
    Free Member

Nice quick answer.
    That opens up som options on the new build

100mphplus
    Free Member

why would you go for one with less range that is heavier?

Coz I have a 2nd pair of wheels with a normal freehub on it (and can get shimano at trade 😉 )

dirtyrider
    Free Member

Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)

The topic ‘XTR M9000 11sp rear cassette Q’ is closed to new replies.