Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Xterra triathlon vachery estate this Sunday
  • charliemort

Anyone doing it / done it before? Any idea what the bike course is like?

I’m guessing pretty non technical?

Thx

charliemort

anyone??

Fuzzyfelt
    Free Member

Yup! I’ll be there in garish Hot Chilli Tri club colours. The description of the run….more toughmudder, than trail run….didn’t realise I was letting myself in for that!
    Have a good one 🙂

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    convert

I’ll be there too. Description of bike course also refers to chicken runs so I’m assuming not all the fire trail I was anticipating…not a bad thing mind but it’ll be interesting how it goes!

simster

yip im racing too. most of these off road tri’s dont have technical bike courses, but could be different as sam gardener has designed it. im going for test lap tomorrow.

Fuzzyfelt
    Free Member

Have you watched the video of the course from last year? Doesn’t look too technical – longer this year though. Be up there Sat pm for a test lap as well.

charliemort

I’ll mainly be the big bloke in a 7oaks tri suit towards the front on the swim and going backwards thereafter………………

could you report back on your test lap? Don’t think I’ll get there. If mainly fire-roady may use the Fargo as a secret weapon, otherwise yeti 5

njee20
    Free Member

I did it last year, the bike course was a bit of a joke, shame, as Sam obviously has a massive MTB pedigree! Sure it’ll be better this year.

jobro
    Free Member

I’m there as well.
    My understanding is that the bike route will be pretty straight forward and fast. Hope so, I’ve been doing time trials on my Niner to prepare.
    Sam’s a cracking rider but I think the organisers find themselves in the difficult position of trying to attract road triathletes to the off road world who would freak at anything too difficult. Not the same in Europe as I’ve done races that are proper mountain biking routes ie potential for death or serious injury if you get it wrong!
    I was convinced off road triathlons were the future, but the cancellations of the Xtri series events leaves me wondering about what’s going to be on offer next year. There will be a “summit” of organisers present this weekend to look at this issue.

gary

I think the organisers find themselves in the difficult position of trying to attract road triathletes to the off road world who would freak at anything too difficult

Tricky for them I guess. I’ve been tempted by the idea of doing them, but every time I look at an event it seems to be actively promoting the idea that the bike course is non technical.

njee20
    Free Member

It was really boggy last year, hope its drier this time.

It’s an Xterra event, most of them have proper courses, I think the limitation here is the terrain. There’s no elevation whatsoever, so nothing you can really do to make it interesting. It really was 100% double track and fields, with freshly cut grass.

convert

copied from elsewhere….

Watch the weather but as it is, light weight tyres should be fine.

Last year (raced locally as a sprint for a test event) there was a right old boggy stretch and much of the course was slippy (wettest summer innit) but yesterday I was working on a section that skipped the worst bits from last year and went uphill into a wooded section away from the lake. End result is it should be lovely and dry.

Oh, the run will be something else though! More tough mudder than trail 10k! Water jumps, knee high bog stretches, long grass, this race is going to be hard but fun.

On the harder sections of the run and the bike we built some chicken runs as well in case anyone is worried.

charliemort

so – anyone been out there?

njee20
    Free Member

Here’s last years course. 150ft climbing in 6 miles. Only did 2 laps too, which was way shorter than advertised. Sure it’ll be better this year!

Fuzzyfelt
    Free Member

How was it for all then? I thought it was a great event, bike course was pretty good; some testing singletack but plenty of field work – which was OK as nice and hard/dry. Loved the run course – if only my old PE teacher could hear me saying I loved cross country running 🙂

simster

On the whole an ok event – not really the big Xterra experience id hoped for though. Swim in the ‘big pond’ was good, plenty of space and easy to sight. Bike course was ok within the context of a race (rubbish as a stand alone ride) 50% technical and 50% grass motorway. One of the pro’s had clip on’s on his bike to get more aero! run was probably the most challenging, but again only a few technical bits. all pan flat.

njee20
    Free Member

Shame, that was my concern, it was just a low key local event last year, wasn’t sure how they were going to step it up. Sounds like the bike course was better, certainly a lot longer.

robbo167
    Free Member

My family and I were there to do the Sprint Relay event…I did the bike (surprise surprise)with my On-One 29er Rigid,some of the course was alright,apart from the lethal bridge early on(injury magnet if ever I saw one),lucky my wife had a pretty good swim so I didnt get trapped on the singletrack.
    Overall we enjoyed it but the event seemed a bit low key…or was it just me?..

charliemort

I thought it was pretty good. Bit in the bike course for mountain bikers as opposed to the pointy heads, although the leader did come past in an aero helmet!

I’m a hopeless runner so found the run course quite tough. Nearly refused the stream jump, and pinged a calf muscle after about 3 km

finished about mid pack 120th in 3 hrs 07. Mrs M won 45 – 49 category couple of minutes back so is one of 17 women (of 29 starters) who have qualified for world champs in Hawaii! Bonkers. Pretty sure half the women who qualified didn’t know what they’d qualified for (and I doubt will enter when they see the comedy $475 entry fee!)

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Xterra triathlon vachery estate this Sunday’ is closed to new replies.