Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • XT vs GX 12 speed cassette
  • charliemort

Any particular advantage of one over the other? I think I have a marginal preference for the ratios on shimano

Seem to be about the same price (if you can find one)

kelvin

Whichever fits your freehub?

More steel cogs on the Sram, but that silly jump to the bail out gear that you elude to.

Noises suggest Sram GX cassette supply should get better from January.

argee

Depends what you’ve got, if you’ve got the freehubs to support both then the GX is better for me, it is one piece, it doesn’t have that crappy alloy locking ring that’s made of cheese and they do tend to wear well, i’ve got the XT with a bike and it’s ok, but always preferred the XD cassettes, just wish i had one!

charliemort

I’ve got both Freehubs – got both with a set of wheels, so that’s not an issue. Bust my xo1 mech so now have sram shifter and xt mech

thegeneralist
    Free Member

Kelvin the reasoning behind your allusion to elude eluded me.

kelvin

😸

I meant “allude”.

honourablegeorge

GX (and Sram in general) seem to way outlast Shimano, and they’re a shade lighter than XT, even in the slightly larger 12-52 size.

GX a lot easier to find at the moment too

sillyoldman

Over 2 yrs out of an XT 12 spd cassette so far, so no durability complaints from me.

Only had 2 XTR chains on it so far.

joebristol

I’ve got both – they both do the job fine. I wouldn’t say either shifts any better then the other really.

Got the 10-51 XT and the 10-50 GX. I think the Shimano has better gaps as it goes 46 then 51 at the lower end. GX goes 42 then 50 (or 52 with the bigger range cassette).

Happy with both really.

cubist
    Free Member

If anyone knows where I can get an XT cassette then can they tell me please?

munrobiker
    Free Member

I spent a hundred miles on a bike with a GX Eagle cassette earlier this year – I normally run SLX. Compared to the Shimano set up the GX shifted like a dog. Much slower shifts, and significantly worse when shifting under power. My Shimano cassette is lasting wonderfully too compared to their shoddy old 11 speed ones.

joebristol

I spent a hundred miles on a bike with a GX Eagle cassette earlier this year – I normally run SLX. Compared to the Shimano set up the GX shifted like a dog. Much slower shifts, and significantly worse when shifting under power. My Shimano cassette is lasting wonderfully too compared to their shoddy old 11 speed ones.

I think that’s a setup issue tbh. Both my XT and GX shift pretty similarly. If anything the gx is a lighter shift action on the shifter vs a harder to push downshift lever on the XT setup. I think that’s related to the rear mech clutch rather than resistance in the shifter.

I’ve ridden a Shimano drivetrain that wasn’t well setup and it wasn’t fun. Also ridden an X01 setup on a demo bike that was all over the place.

Comparing apples with apples I don’t think there’s much difference.

munrobiker
    Free Member

It was set up fine (I’d had it in the workstand preparing for an event) – it’s just whatever Shimano do with their shift ramps and new chains is significantly better, particularly under load.

zerocool

Get the one gets in stock

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘XT vs GX 12 speed cassette’ is closed to new replies.