• This topic has 15 replies, 13 voices, and was last updated 3 years ago by wzzzz.
Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Xt Slx 11 speed shifter differences? Nicest 11 shifter?
  • wzzzz
    Free Member

I’m after an 11spd shifter. Is there any difference in slx vs xt?

Anything else – did they do 11spd Saint?

tomnavman
    Free Member

XT does double shifting and 2-way shifting down the cassette, SLX doesn’t. I’d spend the extra on the shifter then save on the mech!

Never heard of a 11 speed Saint

endomick
    Free Member

Multi shifting and nicer alloy thumb paddle, for the price difference its a no brainer.

devash
    Free Member

XTR is the best if money not an issue but the XT shifter is a close second with all of the useful features and only a couple of grams heavier. The problem with the XTR is that it is double the cost of the XT one so accounting for the large price difference the XT is your best bet.

The SLX shifter is quite plasticy and lacks the aforementioned double down shift which I find really useful.

I’ve owned all three, all are perfectly functional but the XT is the one I run on my current bike. It just works.

shortyj15

I have a near new xtr 11 speed I’m will to part with.

Email me on iainjagger@gmail.com

RustyNissanPrairie

Iirc XT and above shifters are bearings, SLX and below are bushes. Saint was/is 10spd and bearings as per XT&XTR.

scaredypants

I’ve an XT one – wouldn’t call it “nice” in the way 9sp xtr were* but it does feel VERY robust

*light, precise, honestly lovely to use (the 11sp is much more clunky – still precise but very different)

(haven’t used 11sp xtr)

joebristol

For me I can’t get excited about the double shift to harder gears that a lot of people go on about – I’ve got XT 12 speed and that double shift feels a bit nasty to me and you have to push your thumb a long way to do it. So I never use it. Most shifters when you’re moving to an easier gear have multi shift which works well and is useful.

I can compare brief experience of an slx 11 speed shifter to an Xt 12 speed shifter – both shift much the same really and are a similar shape. The main reason I picked an XT shifter over SLX was the little rubber bit the xt 12 speed has on the main shift paddle that the SLX didn’t. I normally find shimano shifters feel a bit cheap vs the GX 11 speed shifter I have on my other bike – but the xt one is nice.

reggiegasket
    Free Member

Xt over SLX (11)

XTR is only-very-slightly-if-at-all better than XT.

Nothing is in the same realm as 9spd XTR though.

wzzzz
    Free Member

Ah OK thanks all, I’ll look out for an XT

Shortyj15 thanks for the XTR but I’m assuming its going to be too spendy

martinhutch

XT can do three upshifts in a single press if you’ve got a long enough thumb. It’s a useful feature for me.

pothead
    Free Member

XTR 11spd here (came on the bike), a quick search and the xt 11spd is around a third of the price. I have an SLX m7000 on another bike and the xtr shifts smoother and as already stated can upshift 3 cogs at a time, XT isn’t quite as smooth but pretty sure it can do the same, SLX can only shift 1 at a time and isn’t quite xt smooth. I’d go for XT if I was looking for a replacement as while XTR feels SLIGHTLY smoother its defo not worth treble the price, and being lighter usually means less durable in my experience

whyter

SLX M7000 shifter lasted two weeks for me before ratchet failed on a downshift. Replacement XT lasted two years so far!

shortyj15

It’s nearly new I’ll do it for £50 if that’s of interest.

whatyadoinsucka
    Free Member

the new 12 speed XTR shifter has a little switch underneath to convert to 11 speed so may be worth buying that over the regular XTR if paying £85

wzzzz
    Free Member

the new 12 speed XTR shifter has a little switch underneath to convert to 11 speed so may be worth buying that over the regular XTR if paying £85

Ah I’ve been reading.

Its a special XTR thing. The XTR 11 cassette is basically a 12 with the top cog missing. The spacing is the same as 12.

So the shifter just passes the same cable as a 12. Not the same as other 11s

Hence it is not compatible with any other cassette.

This missing big cog on the cassette means its lighter. Its an XC racer thing.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Xt Slx 11 speed shifter differences? Nicest 11 shifter?’ is closed to new replies.