Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Xt rear mech……..heeelp!
  • clareymorris

What is the difference between M770 and M771?

Cheers (lost mine in the heather today!!!)

Kahurangi

Shimano M770 XT Rear Derailleur – Low Normal (i.e. Rapid Rise)
    Shimano M771 XT Rear Derailleur – Top Normal (i.e. Normal)

Hope this is correct!

Big-Pete
    Free Member

Yup 770 is rapid rise

clareymorris

771 description on Merlin: Top normal spring uses the spring to select higher gears, best suited to use with Rapidfire shifters
    770 Description on Merlin: Low normal spring uses the spring to select lower gears, best suited to use with Dual Control levers

Confused!!

Big-Pete
    Free Member

Bothwork fine with rapid fire. 771 is conventional set up.

clareymorris

Good, it is cheaper ;-D

NOW, the other question, should I go shadow for another tenner?!?!

highclimber
    Free Member

I have one spare if you want? a RR one that is

clareymorris

Really? A new one? How much would you like for it?

highclimber
    Free Member

its not new but fully serviceable. £10

clareymorris

OOOh, yes please!!!

I'll e-mail you details and you can tell me how much for postage etc 😀

Cheers all for assistance on this one!!!

highclimber
    Free Member

just to clarify its the Rapid rise one i.e. 770. although it still work with either shifters I wouldn't want to send you the wrong one! I'll find out postage costs for you. I'll send you some pics of it before you send any money.

clareymorris

Okey doke, would be good to see some pikkys….Cheers 😀

highclimber
    Free Member

here you go

clareymorris

HiCli…. you know what I think I am going to go for a new one. I do a fair few miles in the lakes and for the extra £30 (which I just won on the footy sweepstake!) I think it is worth it. Thank you for the offer though 😀

highclimber
    Free Member

Lol, well done on the win, no worries

TeaBoyPaul

Just in case you were still looking for a rear mech.. Ribble are doing the XT Shadow for £33 ish… I ordered one on Tuesday night and it turned up Thursday am.

Paul

chappers
    Free Member

As said,

771 – Top normal, i.e if you release all the tension in the cable the mech will sit over the smallest rear sprocket, i.e. the highest/top gear. If you want go uphill you have to press the shifter against the action of the spring to select lower gears. If you want to shift to a higher gear just press the release shifter and the spring action will shift up for you. This is the conventional set-up and works well with Rapidfire shifters
    770 Low normal, i.e. if you release all the tension in the cable the mech will sit over the largest rear sprocket, i.e. the lowest gear. If you want to go faster you have to press the shifter against the action of the spring, but it has the advantage (depending on your point of view) that when shifting to lower gears when going up hill the spring action does the shifting so you get very quick down-shifts, i.e. rapid rise of the mech up the sprockets from the smallest to the largest. These work great with dual Control levers but work just as well with rapid fire. It just depends on whether you want quick upshifts (rapid rise 770) or quick downshifts (conventional 771).

Still confused??

Speaking to the Shimano bloke at Bike radar yesterday he said there is going to be no more rapid rise on future Shimano drivetrain and that there will be no dual control for the dynasis 10 speed stuff.

clareymorris

TeaboyPaul thankyou for the PSA – I shall be purching one ASAP!!!

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Xt rear mech……..heeelp!’ is closed to new replies.