Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • XT rear hub nuts keeps loosening ?
  • enfht
    Free Member

As described really, M756 rear hub. Only 2 or 3 months old, follows the same pattern
    1.Too much play in wheel
    2.Discover the nuts are loose
    3.Hand tighten the nuts.

If I overtighten the nuts the wheel wont spin as freely which is why I only hand tighten.

Warranty job or design “feature”?

Cheers

stevenmenmuir
    Free Member

I’ve had the same problem. I put some loctite on the axle and no problem since but then I haven’t been riding my singlespeed much and thats the bike its on. I had this problem even when using cone spanners. I don’t understand why there’s only one nut on one side.

Jimbo
    Free Member

If you tighten the locknuts on their own, then chances are you’re turning the cone with it, throwing it out of adjustment.
    Hold the cone still with a cone spanner and then tighten the locknup up against it. It’s an art and will take several attempts, but it should work…

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    julianwilson
    Free Member

there is a really good guide on the park tools website where you clamp the wheel on the outside of the left dropout and then do it. Hard to explain but they manage it!

nukeproof
    Free Member

What Jimbo said…you’ve got to tighten the lockring against the cone (5mm allen key and an 18mm cone spanner for my 08 XT rear hub)

enfht
    Free Member

Understood. Thanks for this. Couple of questions..

If, by tightning the nut in isolation I’ve thrown it out of adjustment, can I easily correct it or is this a lbs job to get it right?

Also, whats the 5mm allen key for nukeproof?

Cheers guys

genghispod
    Free Member

Loctite.

nukeproof
    Free Member

Also, whats the 5mm allen key for nukeproof?

Can’t confirm for other years but on my XT ’08 hub the 5 mm allen key is how the locknut is tightened as the allen key is inserted at each end into where the QR skewer is removed from.

enfht
    Free Member

cheers

coatesy
    Free Member

Also, if they’re loose on the drive side, you’ll have to remove the cassette, loosen the other side and pull the axle through to get two cone spanners on it. Try to get the same length of axle protruding from either side(about 5mm).

enfht
    Free Member

Otherwise the wheel will be off centre I suppose?

So I need to order two cone spanners?

Thanks

Dibbs
    Free Member

Otherwise the wheel will be off centre I suppose?

No, you’ll just have different lengths of axle sticking out either side.

jonathan
    Free Member

I think you’ll find this useful Park Tool hub service guide

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘XT rear hub nuts keeps loosening ?’ is closed to new replies.