Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • XT rear hub – 32h, 6-bolt
  • Surf-Mat
    Free Member

Was just about to buy one for wife's Rockhopper (having it built onto my old DT 430 rim) and now no one has them in stock!

What is the SLX rear hub like? Comparable? Needs to be under £40 to make it worth buying over a Hope hoop.

warpcow
    Free Member

Didn't know SLX was available in 6-bolt, but anyway it's probably an teensy bit better. The XT 756 (or whatever it's called) hasn't been updated since about 2003 and a fair few people have complained about quality, durability and weight.

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

Warp – you may be right. Can only seem to find 29er specific ones

Any other recommendations?!

foxyrider
    Free Member

Haven't tried them but what about superstar components?

cynic-al
    Free Member

IME there's **** all difference from lx and above (bar those new freehubs which are on wheels only I think?) so I would assume SLX will be fine.

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

Al – thanks. Now I need to find the right SLX (or LX) hub!

The M525 rear hub is completely shot. Strangely my £1200 Stumpy had the same low rent hub OEM as Mrs Mat's £600 Rockhopper!

Superstar looks potential but I think Shimano will be a bit more tried and tested. Tricky!

wwaswas

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=4063

XT rear hub (not current model but mine seems fine) they have the 756 for £35 to.

any use?

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

was – thanks for finding that. Now time to hit "ponse" mode – it needs to be black…!

sv

On-One do black XTs but you will need an adaptor for the CL.

njee20
    Free Member

The Centre Lock hubs are much lighter, even when you include the weight of the adapter.

I'd be getting a Superstar one though I reckon, cartridge bearings.

Edit: Madison have them in stock, part number FHM756BZL, they retail for £50, but any dealer could get one in.

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

Cheers njee – the Superstar one does look good. Hmmm….!

njee20
    Free Member

They come out of a generic factory in Taiwan, so they're probably being sold under various different names! The Torq Elite team are using their Superleggera hubs, with no complaints.

warpcow
    Free Member

Halo hubs are the same as Superstar too, but with a mark-up for the rebranding.

foxyrider
    Free Member

Haven't tried them but what about superstar components?

🙂 😉

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

If they are anything like the BB's I'd avoid, or at least budget for stripping them to pices and replacing every seal and bearing before you go ride.

njee20
    Free Member

Easier to fill a hub with grease if that's an issue, hub bearings generally last far longer than BBs anyway.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

2 superstar bb's this year, one lasted 8 rides (cumulating in 2 laps of the the gorrcik enduro), the other lasted 6 bone dry rides (I've not even washed the bike yet!).

Apparenlty his new ones have a 5 year gaurentee though, not bad for a component thats fundementaly a bearing that spends its life the way it does. Untill you realise the warenty doesn't include the bearing, which begs the question, what does it cover?…….

cynic-al
    Free Member

Superstar's warranties are fireproof 😀

foxyrider
    Free Member

Hmm – I never suggested Superstar hubs [walking away]……………..

njee20
    Free Member

I'd still use them!

I don't really think you can judge components that failed during the Gorrick Enduro, that was extraordinary circumstances! If we go down that route then not only are Superstar pads crap, but Avid Pistons, Hope floating rotors, SRAM jockey wheels and DT hubs are all crap, hmmm… well there's some merit in the jockey wheels.

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

This will be built up by a decent wheelbuilder (not me!) so hopefully will be okay?

Will decide tomorrow and possibly order the Superstar – just under 500g – is that silly heavy or just a bit heavy?

It's on a £600 Rockhopper so not exactly a racing machine but always keen to shed rather than gain weight. Any idea what an M525 weighs? About three tonnes?

dobo
    Free Member

as njee says the centerlock xt hubs are lighter than the 6bolt, i would say that even the 6bolt is lighter than the SS slick hub. who knows about durability but XT can be serviced and whilst they can go gritty, not smooth and have play etc, they are fairly bombproof really. old ones reportedly better than new xt which mine are. new slx centerlock probably lighter too

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘XT rear hub – 32h, 6-bolt’ is closed to new replies.