XT or XTR for trail riding?

Home Forum Bike Forum XT or XTR for trail riding?

Viewing 10 posts - 41 through 50 (of 50 total)
  • XT or XTR for trail riding?
  • Premier Icon DezB

Eh? How on earth does that ‘wear’ out?

On mine (not bought new by me, btw) the splines wore out. No longer fitted snugly against the freehub. Rattled like a bugger and took me ages to find what the problem actually was!

i did use the word ‘significant’ of course there is a difference just not one that quantifies the lightening of the wallet. Things like rear mech, cassettes and chainrings can wear out quickly and the difference in replacing these particular parts with xt and xtr is huge and in my opinion doesn’t outweigh the marginal benefits…make sense?

Premier Icon Dougal

DezB – Member
    Whatever, don’t get XTR cassettes.
    The ti spider (freehub interface) wears out before the cog teeth, which is pretty bloody ridiculous.

The spider is made of alloy, just like the XT. Sounds like poor mechanics, those parts should never wear.

epo-aholic – Member
    Things like rear mech, cassettes and chainrings can wear out quickly and the difference in replacing these particular parts with xt and xtr is huge and in my opinion doesn’t outweigh the marginal benefits…make sense?

Yeah, totally. XTR cassettes do last quite a bit longer than XT (especially for people who don’t use the smaller cogs), but it’s nowhere near the 3x price difference.

Only you can justify the price. XTR is noticebly better than XT and the shifting also feels quite a bit different. Quite a bit different from other Shimano groupsets in my opinion.

I went partially XTR after I was replacing worn out SRAM X9 stuff. I was sick of how little time my SRAM stuff was lasting so had decided to go back to Shimano and noticed at the time that XTR was only a little bit more expensive.

I’d be happy with either XT or XTR but there is no doubt that XTR is nicer to use.

“doesnt xtr require xtr specific rings?”

Not any more they don’t.

XTR cassettes last a fair bit longer than XT as the biggest few sprockets are titanium. They’re quite a bit lighter, proportionately. I thought it was worth an extra £20, which was the deal at the time, but not worth the full RRP difference.

XTR rear mechs seem to keep on working better in really bad, mayhem-style mud. I have one XTR and one XT and there does seem to be a functional difference, although that could be the difference between standard and shadow.

XTR chainsets don’t seem much better than XT, though they are a little lighter. they scuff more easily. XTR BB seems to last a bit longer too.
    Again, I’ve got one of each.

Don’t know about the hubs, brakes or shifters, though I might try XTR shifters next time I need some, given what’s been said above.

As for “it’s only worth it if you’re racing” argument, i’ve never understood that logic. Surely whatever riding you do, it’s important to you and you want to get the most out of it you can. If you think XTR gives some benefit to your riding, why not go for it? Lots of us like light bikes; you don’t need to be a pro racer to enjoy the feel of a lightweight bike or to enjoy slightly better, more reliable shifting.

As for the racing comment. XTR is nice stuff to own and if I could afford it all my bikes would be XTR/X0. What it won’t do is noticeably improve your riding experience when compared with XT. It is lighter though so if you are sweating blood to finish 1 second ahead of someone in a 2 hour race it will be helpful.

I plumped for XTR on my race bike – but go for XT longevity on the trail bike.

Agree that XTR shifters are rather nice.

What if you’re sweating blood to beat your mate up the hill, or to clear that ultra-tricky climb you’ve never managed before? is that any less important, just because you don’t have a race number on?

erm, am I the only one who buys bike components partly depending on what is on offer at the time??

I’d say if you want XTR, get XTR. You can obviously afford it if you are asking the question and if you get XT you will probably regret it.
    Me, I’d rather have XT/SLX and spend the remainder on something else.

As for durability – my LX front mech and XT rear were replaced late last yr after ~7yrs. Seems like good value to me.

I just looked at the price of XTR pods – £133. That’s quite a lot.

What depressed me more was that XT pods are £85. I bought the pods AND a shadow mech for £70 last summer.

Viewing 10 posts - 41 through 50 (of 50 total)

The topic ‘XT or XTR for trail riding?’ is closed to new replies.