Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • XT or XTR chain?
  • MSP

What’s the difference, is it just the nickel plating on xtr or is there more to it?

cynic-al
    Free Member

shinyness.

£10 cheapie FTW!

MSP

shinyness.

£10 cheapie FTW!

I get a lot of spam just like that. Is it you, you barsteward?

alexpalacefan

XTR. No better performance IMO, but more durable

AP|F

ianpinder
    Free Member

I would get xt as I don’t trust hollowpin chains

tinribz
    Free Member

I thought xtr stuff wore out quicker, being lighter / race oriented and that?

Keva
    Free Member

sram pc971

Kev

Drac

KMC

Dibbs
    Free Member

Always XT.

MSP

So nobody knows then.

cynic-al
    Free Member

For most folk, it’s subjective and based on a small number of experiences.

My lbs experience leads me to believe that there is no benefit to fancy chains.

thebunk

I think its the law that you have to get a chain that is equal or better than the rest of your groupset. No-one will know that you’re using SLX, you won’t be able to tell, but you will know in you’re heart of hearts that you have done wrong.

HTH

Dougal
    Free Member

I would get xt as I don’t trust hollowpin chains

Only the 10speed chain is hollowpin, and after years of running other hollowpin chains, I don’t see what is not to trust.

The nickel coating on the XTR chain makes a big difference to the durability of the chain. It is very resistant to surface rust (if you leave it wet overnight etc). I recently shortened an XTR chain I’d used for a few months, and took the chance to look at the wear between the inner and outer plates; the nickel coating was still intact.

Plus, Rose Bikes do them for £17 posted. http://www.rosebikes.co.uk/article/shimano-chain-9-speed-dura-ace-cn-7701/aid:38115

Mister-P
    Free Member

XT chain has zinc-alloy plated pin link plates and gray roller link plates. With XTR both plates are zinc-alloy plated.

MarkN
    Free Member

Get some PC951 chains and keep the change for something else that you need for the bike or for an extra beer after the ride.

Three_Fish
    Free Member

KMC X9.93 (assumming your question relates to 9 speed) or XTR

rocketman
    Free Member

The nickel coating on the XTR chain makes a big difference to the durability of the chain. It is very resistant to surface rust (if you leave it wet overnight etc).

^^ this

You don’t lube an XTR chain, you polish it.

andyl
    Free Member

KMC X9 93 – £10.50 each – buy a few and swap them around giving them a good clean and lube in between uses.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘XT or XTR chain?’ is closed to new replies.