Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • XT M8000 disc brakes – a bit shonky?
  • maxb
    Free Member

Needing a new rear disc brake and was planning on XT but there are a number of poor reviews about with regard to inconsistency, failures etc. Any bad experiences here?

Bear in mind I’m still (!) running the same faultless, super powerful XT M755 4 pot I bought around 2002 on the front of my bike as it just works so well. Not sure if the seals might give out one day but a bleed/fluid change every couple of years and new pads is all it’s ever had.

Should I look at the Zee as an alternative to M8000?

fathomer

Have a look here!

maxb
    Free Member

Man, thanks for the link – ‘a bit shonky’ does not do it justice…

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    davosaurusrex

Mine were shit, far worse than the m785s they replaced. I moved them on and got Hopes

mboy
    Free Member

Have had several customers with bikes with M8000 brakes on. Yeah… Where to start? They’re a massive step backwards from the M785’s reliability wise, couldn’t recommend them to anyone. Thing is though, people still see a bike with SRAM Level or Guide brakes on and want to swap to XT, because that’s the conditioned thought pattern! All the new SRAM brakes are significantly better than M8000 XT.

If you must go Shimano, then Zee 4 pots are a good shout, M615 Deore’s are still superb, and the outgoing m675 SLX and m785 XT’s are as good as they ever were.

sillyoldman

Mine suffered from the random bite point issue – warrantied them and they came back with replacement levers. No problems since.

I’m told early production ones were affected, but a change in production sorted it. I got mine a year ago, so I’d imagine that shop stock is good now.

rondo101
    Free Member

Recently had XTR m9020s refunded under warranty & bought Hope E4s, on the basis that i’ve experienced the “oh shit” lever throw issue on every set of Shimano brakes I’ve owned since M775s. I burned through crazy numbers of pads in the summer’s 2 week alps visit as i was having to ride the brakes to maintain lever feel. LBS told me they’d seen lots of Hope seal failures & shimanos were better, but haven’t read this anywhere. Bought them from a non-local bike shop instead.

Been impressed with the Hopes so far, but not used them in proper mountain 15+ minute descents. Loving the ability to avoid locking up with enhanced modulation and the lack of “oh shit” moments.

kayak23

I’ve been running the m8000s for quite a while now.
    They are generally fantastic and powerful but I do seem to have to bleed them more regularly than my last m785 XTs to maintain the quick bite point I’ve gotten used to.

Five minute job though so I’m not too bothered but it shouldn’t be like that.

I seem to have more problems with the rear one which got its hose shortened. The stock one lasts better between bleeds.

rocketman
    Free Member

Should I look at the Zee as an alternative to M8000?

Zees are one of Shimano’s parts bin specials and none the worse for it ime. Deore bodies (with Saint levers) and Saint calipers. Mine have been on two bikes and after a killer bleed they’ve been consistent and faff-free.

The quad pistons move uniformly and they feel very much like (working) XTs in terms of speed scrubbing but have huge reserves of power in the bank when I need it and yet the lever is light to operate all through the range. I can feel the forks bending backwards and the rear wheel trying to climb up the bike when I brake hard 🙂

maxb
    Free Member

Well, having read through all five pages of that topic not sure what to do.

As I say I still use a M755 on the front with a 180mm rotor (the old Grimeca made 4 pots and sometimes known as ‘legendary’) bought new around 2002.

It is and always has been truly faultless so hard to believe Shimano are still putting out so many models with all these reported issues, especially on a ‘safety’ related item if you remember their paranoia re’ QR’s 20 years ago.

Looking on CRC the SLX M675 have zero issues reported compared to M8000’s but in the STW topic they too seem to share the unreliability – I would say downright dangerous traits for some…

PJM1974
    Free Member

I’m pleased that I went for M785s instead of M8000s, for a split second I nearly indulged my inner tart.

I’ve read a few threads about the M8000 being inconsistent, if you can source the old 785 then I highly recommend them as they’re excellent, I’m on my second set of pads and they’re adjustable and reassuringly progressive, can’t fault them at all.

We seem to have swapped to an alternate reality where SRAM brakes are actually good.

scotroutes

I had an issue with mine after shortening the hoses and doing a bleed. Usual bite point roulette. Bleeding them again – taking my time and following the Shimano instructions – completely cured them and they’ve been fine since last winter. Now thinking of upgrading the 770s on my Ragley.

chrismac

people still see a bike with SRAM Level or Guide brakes on and want to swap to XT

I am one of those people and the reason is simple.

My M8000 XTs have been perfect. But the real reason is that XT brakes are dead easy to bleed and use mineral oil. SRAM, whilst better, are still a pain to bleed and use that nasty dot fluid.

PaulGillespie
    Free Member

I won’t buy XTs again, i’ve had about 3 or 4 pairs on various bikes and i’ve been totally underwhelmed by them. I don’t know how they get such good reviews in mags/online etc.

My Zees on the other hand have been amazing! The braking is effortless and so powerfull, might be OTT for some though! Bird MTB were knocking out a pair for £125!

maxb
    Free Member

I think, looking at the Hope reviews and their general back up etc I will go 3 X2 or 3 E4 on the back. Have not had Hope’s since the poor original Mini’s back in 2001 (when I switched to M755) but they seem to be pretty respected now. Another £50 over XT not too bad if they can be fit and forget compared to the ‘fit and hope’ lottery of current/recent Shimano brakes.

steviecapt
    Free Member

iv,e just sent my cube back to tredz, because of this issue, mine are m615,s, the rear brake was never as good as the front, no matter how many times i bled it, it would randomly pull back to the bars, but when pumped it would be solid again, i think its a shimano qc problem, its about time they started selling spares, instead of people sending back their brakes under warranty, i would of bought either new seals or diaphram for a few quid, rather than be without my bike for a few weeks, while shimano look into my rear brake. i couldnt find any leaks either, and when the mech at tredz looked at the brake he couldnt understand it either, they have been sent back to madison.we will see what shimano have to say, not expecting them to admit to anything though, they will probably just send a replacment brake back.

stuartanicholson
    Free Member

Just fitted a set of m8000. Did a proper bleed on both before riding mind. No issues, in fact I’d say they have a better feel than the m785 they replaced.

dirtydog
    Free Member

Apparently there are two versions of the M8000, original and revised.

acidtest
    Free Member

I had the inconsistent oh sh!t bite point with mine when the levers are wound in closer to the bars. When they’re not wound in much they work absolutely perfect so I just run them like that now, not had a problem since.

Duc
    Free Member

Had no problem with mine – i do get the slightly variable bite point issue but every time I’ve had it I’ve reset the caliper on the mount and its been back to normal.

I do change wheels quite regularly so perhaps create some of the problem myself

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

Didn’t they change the pistons on the revised version? I believe if they are white pistons they are the newer ones.

chestrockwell

Thing is though, people still see a bike with SRAM Level or Guide brakes on and want to swap to XT, because that’s the conditioned thought pattern!

I thought it was because of the years of god awful Avid branded brakes Sram knocked out leading to them having to re-brand them as Sram when they finally made a decent set?

I’m currently using XT 785’s and Deore, both of which have been faultless. Saying that, I prefer Hope and am considering changing.

darrenhunt
    Free Member

I replaced pretty terrible Magura MT5’s earlier in the year with M8000’s. I can say, hand on heart, they have been absolutely faultless. None of the issues others seem to have. Haven’t had to bleed them and more than enough stopping power imho.

I did get a shop to fit though so maybe thats a factor, rather than doing a ham fisted job myself.

dirtydog
    Free Member

Didn’t they change the pistons on the revised version? I believe if they are white pistons they are the newer ones.

Don’t know the details Chunky. Ben (Bird MTB) mentioned it on another thread.

dan77
    Free Member

Mine seem to be fine, definitely better than the 785’s on the other bike, maybe I’ve got the revised versions

SteveL
    Free Member

After having had a few pairs of M785s I went for M8000s on my new bike this year. Had real problems with inconsistent bite points on both front and rear. Couldn’t get rid of it despite trying ever bleed technique under the sun. The only thing that made them feel okay for more than one ride was pressurising the system but putting a bit of pressure on the caliper syringe before closing the bleed nipple. After two months of faff I sold them and bought another set of M785s which have been faultless since I fitted them.
    So I’d definitely recommend finding a set of the older version if you can.
    I’d be interested to here if anyone has had any actual feedback from Madison/Shimano as when I spoke to them they insisted it could only be a bleed issue.

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘XT M8000 disc brakes – a bit shonky?’ is closed to new replies.