Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • XT lever leak – what to do?
  • colournoise

Seem to have a leak on my rear brake lever (‘new’ XT).

Was losing pressure on the brake and after a couple of fruitless bleeds noticed there was fluid around where the hose/olive join the lever. Have now trimmed the hose a little and replaced the insert and olive and rebled the brake but it still seems to be leaking. Is there anything else I can try or does it sound like the hose ‘junction’ is fubared (which I guess with XT means a new brake)?

duir
    Free Member

I posted something similar recently. My XT lever was leaking fluid from the master cylinder seal after a cut and re-bleed. There also seemed to be fluid coming from the hose/olive. Turns out that any overfill of fluid seeps out until it’s at the right level and mine has trickled into the area of the olive. Maybe worth checking it’s not that first. Then pull the lever several times and wipe until it stops. If it never stops you have a fault.

Mine are working fine now but I am still very confused as to how it is possible to overfill a sealed hydraulic system, surely it’s either full or not????

One of the few down sides to shimano is you can’t buy any spares to work on them yourself.

goatster
    Free Member

It’s got a two year warranty, take it back…

aldomac
    Free Member

Similar happen to mine, tried to bleed it a dozen times. Shop bleed it too and still occurred. Sent back to Shimano and replaced.

honourablegeorge

As above, got mine replaced under warranty

mikewsmith
    Free Member

It’s got a two year warranty, take it back…

this
    other maintenance includes bin and replace

Northwind

You bought a new brake! Use the warranty, that’s what it’s for.

colournoise

Sure. Just wanted to make sure (my first set of hydraulics) that I hadn’t missed something obvious.

Double check tomorrow then looks like a warranty claim. I go back to retailer (Merlin) on that yes?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

normal procedure for this
    Pick up phone call seller
    Discussion/possible solutions talked about
    Return for them to fix or send away

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘XT lever leak – what to do?’ is closed to new replies.