Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • XT Brakes – leak at the reservoir
  • shortcut

So, having run xt’s with no issues for a couple of years I began noticing some fade a few weeks ago, investigation has shown that fluid was coming out the lever under the top cap, so I took it off and removed the metal plate and membrane, cleaned, bled and replaced. I still have some leakage – I think.

Has anyone else had this issue and what did you do about it?

Given spares are not available aside for a whole lever.

Thanks.

Shortcut

allthegear
    Free Member

The reservoir is leaking? Have there been any Lancaster bombers spotted in the region? Flying low??

Rachel

dan1980
    Free Member

I had a similar issue with SLX brakes a while ago.

Whilst not the most helpful of solutions, I gave up on Shimano, and their approach to non-repairable parts and their lack of after-market spares and opted for a set of Formula brakes. I can still easily get a full set of spares for my 2008 vintage K24s

spacehopper

had the same issue with one of my XT levers..

you can actually buy the plastic parts that sit on top of the rubber membrane.. its called the separator unit

but replacing that didnt solve my issue.. and cost the best part of £10 including shipping!

i think the membrane itself must have developed a tiny leak somewhere i couldnt see. Unfortunatley i didn’t find the actual membrane anywhere for sale as its not listed as a separate part on the brake lever diagram..

you could try a bit of liquid gasket or similar around the edge of the membrane..

or do what i and most other people end up doing due to the lack of spares and just buy a new lever.. they’re only £23.49 from CRC

bigjim

Mine were doing that but still seem to work…

scotroutes

Try running a piece of plumbers tape over it before refitting?

chrisellis211
    Free Member

Had exactly the same issue myself! Tried everything. In the end bought new levers as Evans had them for £19.99 a few weeks back

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘XT Brakes – leak at the reservoir’ is closed to new replies.