Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Xt (775) wheel freehub
  • D0NK

Think I already know the answer to this but can I stick any 9spd shimano freehub onto a 775 rear wheel

Pretty sure all shimano freehubs are cross compatible but wanna check as these have slightly different axles and bearings to the normal hubs

D0NK

anyone?

wwaswas

MisterP will be along in a bit…

cynic-al
    Free Member

somone asked something similar recently

D0NK

This one? 775 freehub servicing but no mention of freehub compatibility

richc
    Free Member

No, they are different freehubs on those wheels and after going through 3 inside 6 months I sent mine back to be replaced with Hope's.

If you ride anywhere hot, don't expect them to last more than a week.

Merlin who replaced mine mentioned that they get a lot of returns of these, and that you can't use normal reliable xt freehubs, so you are a bit stuck

rootes1

interchangability is listed on:

http://techdocs.shimano.com

foxyrider
    Free Member

Not being critial but I think you mean a freehub body as the freehub is the whole "hub" on the rear 🙂 Sorry not trying to be a knob 😉 Just pointing it out 🙂 Aparently the term freehub is a registered trademark of Shimano 🙄

richc
    Free Member

regardless the one in the 775 is shite, and unique to this hub

grimey
    Free Member

And, unlike most other Shimano freehubs, you'll need a great big 14mm allen key to get your old one off.

D0NK

"Freewheel Body Unit" according to shimano site Foxy 🙂

Bugger, this ones lasted 2yrs, otherwise I'm pretty happy with the wheels light-ish ust and pretty tough. Not seen a 775 one available in the usual spots yet, just 770 and 760.

wwaswas

2 years isn't bad for a non-serviceable part.

foxyrider
    Free Member

Donk 😉

D0NK

2 years isn't bad for a non-serviceable part.

Actually just thinking about it I bet it's done less than 1000miles, doesn't sound quite as good as 2years eh?

richc
    Free Member

2 years is fantastic, especially considering the failure rate.

Merlin can definitely get them (although it was a 4 week + wait at one point) otherwise Madison or your LBS have to be your best bet as they can order one in for you. It's unlikely you will be able to track one down on the online sites as they are an unusual part.

edit: just saw your next post 1000 miles, doesn't sound quite as good. Riding in hot places killed mine very quickly, in Spain, and Canada (both places were 35C+) killed them in a under a week, as the grease would run out, then the pawls would jam and shatter.

Just like this: http://www.pvdwiki.com/index.php?title=XT_775_Freehub_Failure

D0NK

You sure richc? Looking at compatability chart I need Y-3CZ98050 which is the standard freehub for M770 part 11
    So any 770 freehub should be fine, no?

Edit yeah I saw that too but in that case it jammed and seized, is that what you got? Mine are just slipping in the usual shimano manner, but whereas I normally get the occasional slip to give me a bit of time to source a new freehub this just suddenly gave up completely in one ride.

seth-enslow666
    Free Member

No the new 775 hubs use a complete different freehub and have a different hub shell to the other Shimano ones. I'm not sure but I think XTR hubs from a couple of years back use the same freehub as the M775. Except they are titanium and cost even more.

I killed my M775 freehub body in about 100 miles of light riding. One ride with light panniers killed it off.

Come to think of it it was more like 50 miles of riding!

Mister-P
    Free Member

Sorry Seth but you are wrong. WH-M775 uses the M770 freehub body as Donk says. However Madison don't sell just the body, you get the body washer and bolt with it under part number 3CZ 9804.

D0NK

Cheers MisterP, kit looks to be £40ish, if I see a 770 hub cheap I could strip that down and use the freehub from that eh?

Mister-P
    Free Member

You certainly could yes.

seth-enslow666
    Free Member

Well wrong or not there shite Ha. My advice would be open bin and drop it in. Save time having to rebuild a rim on a new hub all the time!

Maybe the wheels are different to hubs on there own then!

richc
    Free Member

all mine jammed and seized, I learnt that when the cassette started to wobble you only had a couple of miles left in it, before you were going to have to walk.

From what I was told by Merlin (and Shimano tech support) the freehub for the M775 is unique to this wheel (and 1 revision on the XTR wheels, but they are even harder to track down). So you need to specially order it.

Give madison a call, and they should be able to confirm all this, and let you know how much a new one is, and how long you will be waiting for it.

Its a shame, as those wheels are strong, light, ust and not that pricey. However reliable they aren't.

Burchy1
    Free Member

I've got one of these built up as a single speed wheel, starting to think that maybe thats not such a good idea… 😕

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Xt (775) wheel freehub’ is closed to new replies.