Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • XT 1×11 group set with 11-46. Where from?
  • tinybits
    Free Member

Looking for a full group set following my abject failure to pair old 2×10 ispec A mounts with new, non IPSec brakes!
    I’m old and fat so want the lower gearing of the 46t sprocket. Only thing is, I can’t find one to buy…. any pointers?

Simon
    tinybits
    Free Member

Listed but none available – and I’m after brakes as well – sadly no go… maybe buy a cassette as well and sell the 11-42 one….

tinybits
    Free Member

Sorry – just spotted your edit

tinybits
    Free Member

little bump for the morning crowd!

br
    Free Member

I’ve just replaced a 30 11-42 with a 32 11-46 on my 29er.

Based on advice from another thread I bought a Sunrace cassette as it had a small jump between the biggest two cogs, 40 to 46 rather than the XT at 37 to 46.

Front rings both oval too.

tinybits
    Free Member

The issue is, that I have to buy the rest of the kit as well, it’ll be a whole groupset so not wanting to add lots of bits after!
    A 30t front with a 42t rear would give me the same lowest gear as I currently run on my 2×10 so maybe that’s the way to go (and a little bit of manning up grinding up the mendips!)

lustyd
    Free Member

Where are you? In the UK I’m having trouble finding shops that don’t have stock of the 46t cassette!
    Definitely hunt for the XT one – the shifting is extremely smooth on all cogs as you’d expect from Shimano

Onzadog
    Free Member

The sunrace mx8 cassette is a worthy alternative. Better spaced and with only one alu cog.

lustyd
    Free Member

Onzadog depends what you mean by “better spaced”! For me the small jumps on the Shimano are great as I get closely spaced gears for my “big gears” and then two massive cogs which are the equivalent to changing into a granny ring. The big cogs on a cassette are just there for climbing on my bike so I don’t need them to fit with the rest 🙂

br
    Free Member

The big cogs on a cassette are just there for climbing on my bike so I don’t need them to fit with the rest [/I]

Yes, but living in Scotland and with a load of steep (and long) climbs the last thing I wanted was big gaps in the lowest gears – big ones in higher gears don’t really impact me, as our downs are also suitable long and steep.

And rather than buy the whole groupset, look if buying it in bits is cheaper and/or gets better bits.

tinybits
    Free Member

so far it’s not – can get a groupset (with brakes, don’t need rotors) for £360 only it’s got a 32t / 42t setup – fine at the top end, but not low enough.

In bits it’s closer to £500, so I could buy an additional cassette and still be £60 cheaper…

lustyd
    Free Member

Why not call the shop and ask if they’ll swap you out the cassette? If it’s one of the big online shops they probably won’t have a “groupset” anyway it’ll be individual bits. Wiggle are actually selling OE parts rather than boxed product (presumably hence the price) so imagine they could be flexible. Failing that, Evans are really good at price match so give them a call and see what they can do about matching the groupset deal.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘XT 1×11 group set with 11-46. Where from?’ is closed to new replies.