XT 12 speed – which chain?

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • XT 12 speed – which chain?
  • Premier Icon Mat
    Subscriber

Now that hope are about to release a Pro 2 Evo microspline free hub I’m thinking of upgrading my 2×10 to 1×12 (I’ve been holding out 1x until I can get shimano with a 500% range!).

What does the hive mind think about chains? I’ve always opted to run SRAM chains (PC-991/1091) on shimano drivetrains for the powerlink and also because the plating seems to be better, they don’t seem to rust as badly. I’m hearing that 12 speed is much more sensitive to chains though? Can I get away with a KMC or SRAM chain still?

Premier Icon simondbarnes
    Subscriber

I wouldn’t run anything other than a Shimano chain on it otherwise you won’t get the benefit of the improved shifting.

agreed 1000000000000000000000% only run a shimano chain on the cassette and mech, you get the benefits of the hyperglide+ if you go down the other chain option you are missing out on the best bit of the system

iamanobody

bizarre question but are 12 speed chains directional??

Subscriber

The Shimano ones need to be run with the writing on the outside. The quick link is directional.

iamanobody

Ok as having trouble setting one up – changes perfectly but you can feel the chain as it turns (doesn’t quite mesh)

Premier Icon rhayter
    Subscriber

I’m running the Shimano chain on my 12-speed XT setup. It’s as sweet as a nut. No problems at all.

Premier Icon thisisnotaspoon
    Subscriber

Now that hope are about to release a Pro 2 Evo microspline free hub

Are you sure?

I asked them and they said yes they were making micospline frerhubs available, but it was only a maybe for anything older than the pro4 range.

Premier Icon Mat
    Subscriber

Cool, unanimity then!

How about missing links/power link/power lock?

Premier Icon thisisnotaspoon
    Subscriber

Yay good news! Presume that means the 36t as well as the 40t versions as the freehubs were interchangeable apart from the 11s HG.

Can’t comment on 12s specifically but I’ve never had an issue with re-using other links, just use a pair of plumbers grips to push them open. Never even give much thought to using the right speed, 8s links aren’t noticeable on 10s and cost a fraction!

The Shimano ones need to be run with the writing on the outside. The quick link is directional.

I thought they had dropped that again?

Ok as having trouble setting one up – changes perfectly but you can feel the chain as it turns (doesn’t quite mesh)

I found my GX to be a bit clunky in the workstand, it kept riding up on the teeth, even on the front chainring, but bedded in as soon as I rode it. I did wonder if either the chain was too stiff or the rollers overfilled with grease making it effectively a fraction short?

Subscriber

Use the one that comes with the Shimano chain.

srm87

Shimano 12 speed xt chain £26.99 on amazon which seems reasonable

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.