Viewing 23 posts - 161 through 183 (of 183 total)
  • XT 12 speed whens it likely
  • edd

sillyoldman

Subscriber
    In answer to OP – just checked on Madison B2B, and all parts for a 1x group with 4 pot brakes look to be available this month with the exception of the EV option shifter – standard band on shifter due this month, EV option next month

Any chance you could look up when the M8100, 2 piston brakes will be available individually in the UK? Thanks!

andytherocketeer

Bike24 had the priority groupset up on the day the embargo was lifted.  Price has already dropped €100 since then.

I thought the priority groupset had no hubs and no BB but does have complete brakes including rotors (that are often extra). plus free hat and mug which definitely wins the sale 😉

€629 or €699 for the back order version.  That’s not as bad as I thought it might be.  Hard to compare right now, since they don’t quote a brakeless groupset option for Shimano, and don’t quote a Sram groupset with brakes.  But I’d estimate that XT would be a few € more than GX street price, like for like.

Since Bike24 is now part of the Wiggle-CRC empire, I’d guess they have similar deal?

Just got 1×11. cba to change now, although I could make use of the extra ratios. going 1×12 would cost me a new wheelset or €70 extra for freehub body regardless if I stick with Shimano or defect to Sram.

Mister-P
    Free Member

Front brakes due end of June, rear brakes due mid July.

molgrips
    Free Member

Anyone want to offload some 1×11 M8000 kit, I’ll take it 🙂

edd

Mister P

Front brakes due end of June, rear brakes due mid July.

Thanks!

sillyoldman

Kelvin – I’d bet the interchangeable freehubs weren’t available prior to the group in question being available though?

kelvin

Well, I didn’t have any of my current hubs way back before XD game along… so you’re right in a way. But if you’re making the point that XD freehubs were of limited availability when they first came out, your point is valid. SLX isn’t XX1 level though. These work horse groupsets need an option to use Micro Spline hubs from more suppliers, or a cassette that fits the previous Shimano freehub spline. Anyway, I’m just repeating myself. I’ll leave this thread alone now.

vincienup
    Free Member

Bike Discount are selling the priority group with and without hubs, for a sensible price difference.

From my POV I’m mostly interested in their pricing because I’ve not seen anyone in the UK put a street price to the stuff yet. Based on BD’s pricing info, the wear and tear kit (cassette and chain) is the only thing they’re selling particularly below RRP – or the only thing they say they are.

As commented, prices asked seem about normal range for XT at start of a cycle so I’d imagine 7100/8100 stuff will show up in the UK at prices that aren’t surprising. Which is nice. I’m hoping to have a new bike before long to hang some stuff on so I’m prepared to put my money where my mouth is and see if Shimano really have got their M785 groove back on 😁

ta11pau1

I’ll be in the market for a new groupset soon when I get my next bike which will be a Jeffsy Pro Race, I’ll be swapping out the E13 9-46 cassette and 11speed XTR, I’d love to have the choice of XT or XTR 12 speed as I reckon hyperglide+ could be really good, but if E13 don’t get the rights to microspline that’s not going to happen.

If they do, there’s other little annoyances which would probably make me choose sram, like the i-spec EV XT shifter being a completely separate unit to the band on model. If I choose brakes with no adapter I’ll need to choose the band on shifter, but if an adapter comes out later I’d need a complete new shifter to use it? Why shimano?

That and the chance of Di2 XT or XTR 12 speed being years away at best, you’d hope that Shimano saw how clean and simple AXS is and are in the midst of designing a wireless Di2, but I won’t hold my breath….

vincienup
    Free Member

I’d guess the majority of the 3rd parties who weren’t in the initial release will get offered the licenses at the same sort of time.

Regarding the ispec vs band-on, that’s pretty normal at least since ten speed. The entire top of the shifter is different, even when the parts are available you’re usually over halfway to a new shifter anyway… plus, it won’t be long before problem solvers have a bracket for SRAM or Hope brakes and iSpecEV shifter (and probably vice-versa)

johnw1984
    Free Member

Using the prices (rounded up) from Bike Discount, I think I’ll be going for the below setup (need to add a DT Swiss freehub yet).

Cassette + Chain (SLX): £88
    Shifter (XT): £45
    Rear Mech (SLX): £55
    Crank (XT): £119
    Chainring (SLX) £23

Total: £330

That seems very reasonable to be honest. It’d probably be very similar price for GX Eagle with the crank, but I’m keen to try the shifting under load 🙂

ta11pau1

Yeah there probably will be a solution for Hope brakes, Hope might even bring out an i-spec EV mount (I wouldn’t blame them if they didn’t, tbh), if not you’d probably need a Hope matchmaker mount and an i-spec EV to matchmaker mismatch mount… jeez lol!!

Shimano just seem to have an air of ‘tradition’ which some could interpret as ‘stuck in their ways’. They were designing an entirely new shifter and brake mounting system, how hard would it be to design a shifter than can be both band on and i-spec? They seem content with being the 2nd, or 3rd to market but with tried and true designs that are probably more reliable than the cutting edge stuff from other manufacturers. I don’t know if that’s a good thing, or not…

Grace
    Free Member

Their brakes have been shocking for years now. I was a Shimanophile for more than 20 years before that. I still don’t know how they got away without a recall!
    Sram and Hope for me these days.

vincienup
    Free Member

I’m yet to hear of the very current Shimano brakes failing but yes, they have had a very bad run with them that really would have really finished SRAM/Avid off brake wise but everyone is just ‘oh, Shimano… get a new calliper…’. They do seem to get a free pass on them. That said, I’m not a fan of Hope’s levers simply from an aesthetic point of view and then they ain’t cheap plus they aren’t as head and shoulders ahead of everyone like they used to was. I was a Guide fan for a bit before hitting a patch of sticky pistons on several sets.

Currently I’m sold on Magura for brakes, but if the new Shimano’s still haven’t been dragged through the forums with leaking calliper pistons by the time I’m ready to buy I may take a punt. It would make connecting everything much easier.

scotroutes

As usual,all you hear are the stories of a few failures, not the (probably) hundreds of thousands of calipers in use that are fine. I could, if you like, start a thread every time my calipers work, or every bike I service has calipers that work. I suspect you’d get bored very quickly, especially if other folk chipped in.

kelvin

Big fan of Shimano brakes, myself. All manufacturers have some duds.

oldnpastit

As usual,all you hear are the stories of a few failures, not the (probably) hundreds of thousands of calipers in use that are fine. I could, if you like, start a thread every time my calipers work, or every bike I service has calipers that work. I suspect you’d get bored very quickly, especially if other folk chipped in.

More than just a few failures.

vincienup
    Free Member

Quite. As I’ve said before, I do wonder if the general practice in dome parts of deliberate overfilling to ‘get the feel right’ is what has been busting seals in many cases, but even then the time this has been going on, something should have done, the seal should have been re-specced. It is miraculous that everyone remembers Avid/SRAM can’t make brakes but defends Shimano for them though. Personally apart from hating the bleeding I was fine with 785’s until I got a bike with Guides and didn’t look back but I know plenty of riders wgo have had leaky Shimano callipers, enough that it really isn’t a rare problem.

Doesn’t just happen with pushbikes though, ask different people about the previous model Ford Focus ecoboost and you’ll get completely different answers depending whether they’ve been left with a trashed engine due to the plastic water pipe melting or not. It’s a very widely reported issue but officially ‘never a problem’ and certainly not recalled.

johnw1984
    Free Member

So… Anywhere got XT/SLX stuff in stock yet?

Most of what I’ve seen is still “pre order”. Google is failing me (or I’m failing!).

twistedpencil

Boxes of the stuff at North West Mountain Bike Centre yesterday…

johnw1984
    Free Member

So it’s looking pretty imminent! 🙂

thepurist

Sorry if this has already been covered – are shimano offering micro spline freehubs as replacements for their hubs, and if so how far back will they be compatible? (Mrs P is on non boost XT rear hub.

Viewing 23 posts - 161 through 183 (of 183 total)

The topic ‘XT 12 speed whens it likely’ is closed to new replies.