Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 183 total)
  • XT 12 speed whens it likely
  • whatyadoinsucka
    Free Member

those cassette weights on https://mtb.shimano.com/en/components/xt/ look incorrect

cassette 10-45 // 10-51
    ——————————
    SLX 461g // 470g
    XT 357g // 367g

when XTR 513g // 534g

[roll eye emoji]

edd

Will also stick with Shimano BBs, but otherwise it’ll probably be RF cranks, Superstar chainring, Sram cassette & whatever chain is on a good discount.

Yep, that’s basically the route I’ll be taking.

scruff
    Free Member

So if you don’t have a microspline you cant use the XT cassette and chain and dont gain the perceived benefits of improved shifting under load, quieter running etc.

cookeaa

Looks like shimano aren’t bothered about aftermarket sales….

The major market battleground is for OEM, TBF keeping hope’s (relatively small number of) customers happy isn’t as important to either of the two big S’s as furnishing trek/specialized/cube/etc with a years worth of OEM kit… Plus I’m sure they will be relationships with DT to maintain by helping delay a competitors product a bit…

Interestingly the prices for aftermarket SRAM 11 speed bits is still on the high side, sram seem as keen as shimano to push people onto 12 speed rather than support them in maintaining/repairing existing 10/11 Speed drivetrains.

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

whatyadoinsucka

those cassette weights on https://mtb.shimano.com/en/components/xt/ look incorrect
    cassette 10-45 // 10-51
    ——————————
    SLX 461g // 470g
    XT 357g // 367g
    when XTR 513g // 534g
    [roll eye emoji]

xtr cassette isn’t 513g for the 10-51 its 369 grams so id imagine the xt is similar given its more or less made the same way bar 3 less titanium cogs

submarined
    Free Member

Official update from Hope on their social media feeds basically echoes the above email:

What’s happening with Microspine?

We have been talking with Shimano ever since the new standard was announced. They stated that they would only offer it to OEM hub manufacturers and the hubs must be branded with the bike manufacturers name. They also said they would not release the licence to aftermarket hub manufacturers.
    Looking at the wheels and hubs listed around the XT and SLX launch it seems that they are stating different rules to each manufacturer which is disappointing for us and our loyal customers.

We’ll continue to lobby Shimano for the licence and keep you informed of any developments.

johnw1984
    Free Member

I’v sorted the wheel dilemma out on my Intense anyway. Just bought a bargain set of M1700 Spline so at least I can give the cassette a go.

Thinking XT cassette, SLX Mech, XTR Shifter. Not sure about cranks (possibly SLX).

It just depends what sort of prices they’ll retail for I suppose. I know the RRP has been stated, but I guess Chain Reaction will be knocking them out a bit less?

greyspoke
    Free Member

Thing is, in Europe at least, there’s probably damn all IP in it anyhow, and selective licensing of technology, when you are as big as Shimano, is also problematical.

scotroutes

I have a set of Santa Cruz branded Hope Pro 2s I assume Hope could set up a supply agreement with someone like SC, Whyte etc and they’d then have the right to manufacture the freehub.

chakaping
    Free Member

I expect Shimano will change tack and allow wider licensing, I just don’t see what they stand to gain commercially by being so restrictive.

scotroutes

I expect Shimano will change tack and allow wider licensing, I just don’t see what they stand to gain commercially by being so restrictive.

That might depend on what terms DT Swiss etc negotiated and what they paid. Maybe they have a grace period of restricted competition.

ta11pau1

I9 already have microspline hubs available, pretty sure they’re not an OEM manufacturer.

Oh and why is it XTR, Deore XT, SLX?

What’s with the Deore name for XT? Just call it XT for christ sake!

For me, if I can’t get the benefits of the hyperglide+ with the new cassette then there’s little point in going to shimano 12 speed, I’d rather go sram eagle and leave the option of going wireless if prices come down or GX AXS gets launched.

teethgrinder

Oh and why is it XTR, Deore XT, SLX?

Because it’s been Deore XT for ever – 1982. Excepy when it went from Deore XT in 1986-ish to Deore XTII in 1987-ish and back to Deore XT in 1995.

molgrips
    Free Member

It used to be Deore DX, Deore LX and Deore XT didn’t it?

mrmo
    Free Member

read the link!

https://bike.shimano.com/en-EU/product/component/deorext.html

ps molgrips, yes

simondbarnes

It used to be Deore DX, Deore LX and Deore XT didn’t it?

Deore DX was posher than Deore LX

molgrips
    Free Member

Deore DX was posher than Deore LX

Yes of course, you are right.

chakaping
    Free Member

Because it’s been Deore XT for ever

And should remain so.

Joe

Still running 9 speed. Feeling like a grandpa. So little innovation in the mountain bike world in the last 7-8 years or so. Starting to feel like a broken record, but the endless new standards, spacings, splines and incompatibility is really beginning to get on my tits.

simondbarnes

but the endless new standards, spacings, splines and incompatibility is really beginning to get on my tits.

You want innovation but are sick of new stuff?

yourguitarhero
    Free Member

^ isn’t that innovation?

I’m on 10 speed. Don’t really see the need for more on an MTB – I often double shift up and down anyway. 10 spd stuff seems cheap enough, and my Saint shifter, XTR mech and Sunrace cassette shift perfectly. As long as I can get my lowest climbing gear I’m not fussed about top end speed. It’s cool they’re doing new stuff – maybe I’ll get it in a few years once we know what is reliable and prices come down.

Definitely see the need on drop bar bikes though.

vincienup
    Free Member

One thought with the trouble Hope seem to be having, possibly DT are seen more favourably because they don’t also sell other competing parts (cassettes)?

I’m holding my breath a little on the idea for pricing, but as I only ended up all SRAM after not getting on with M8000 I’m certainly interested in taking a punt if the price is right, and rebuilding a rear wheel doesn’t sound like an impossible barrier. Remember, Shimano do this often to the Road guys without being too concerned.

chakaping
    Free Member

So little innovation in the mountain bike world in the last 7-8 years or so.

Hmmm…
    – Geometry’s been sorted out
    – Wheel sizes have changed (twice) and 29in is rightly going to win
    – Dropper posts have been made reliable and longer, allowing us all to ride better
    – One-by drivetrains with wide range cassettes have become dominant
    – There’s now a good choice of shocks to rival Cane Creek for performance
    – Enduro reinforced carcass tyres hit the sweet spot of durability and pedal-ability for gnarly riding
    – XC bikes are getting with the long, low and slack-ish programme now too
    – E-bikes are now hugely popular, if you like that sort of thing

What did you want to see? Gearbox bikes I bet.

lovewookie

Because it’s been Deore XT for ever

And should remain so.

Thought it went from the Deore side, to XTR(XT-Race), Deore XTR would be a mouthful, and to distinguishe between Deore LX, as it became more of a hybrid/touring groupset, SLX or Sport LX (or maybe Super LX as a finger up to campag ;-))

but I may just be making that up…

teethgrinder

Used to be Mountain LX < Deore II < Deore XTII
    Then Deore LX < Deore DX < Deore XT

chakaping
    Free Member

I actually thought they did drop the “Deore” from Deore XT then reinstated it, but maybe I imagined that.

Joe

So little innovation in the mountain bike world in the last 7-8 years or so.

Hmmm…
    – Geometry’s been sorted out
    – Wheel sizes have changed (twice) and 29in is rightly going to win
    – Dropper posts have been made reliable and longer, allowing us all to ride better
    – One-by drivetrains with wide range cassettes have become dominant
    – There’s now a good choice of shocks to rival Cane Creek for performance
    – Enduro reinforced carcass tyres hit the sweet spot of durability and pedal-ability for gnarly riding
    – XC bikes are getting with the long, low and slack-ish programme now too
    – E-bikes are now hugely popular, if you like that sort of thing

What did you want to see? Gearbox bikes I bet.

– I was riding a 29’er about 10 years ago now. I still have the same hardtail.
    – I was riding a perfectly fine dropper post on the aforementioned 29er about 8 years ago.
    – There are a wider range of enduro tyres around, but it’s hardly a major leap in tech.
    – The whole high range, single ring cassette trend is just the emperors new clothes thing still doesn’t provide the range that XC bikes had 10 years ago with a 2×9 or 3×9 setup.
    – Gnarly, gnarly. All this “enduro” shit is enough to put me off mountain bikes. I still enjoy seeing locals school Brits dressed as power rangers in bike parks in the alps on old cross country hardtail.

kelvin

10 spd stuff seems cheap enough, and my Saint shifter…

The don of shifters.

So… even down at SLX level… no 11-51 cassettte that runs on a standard HG freehub body? And no Micro Spline freehub body for any of my wheels for the foreseeable? I’m out.

submarined
    Free Member

DX was BMX focused wasn’t it?
    I’m just here to make sure people don’t overlook the humble workhorse STX and STX RC components. #lestweforget

chakaping
    Free Member

You haven’t got a chip on your shoulder at all have you Joe?

So what innovation were you hoping for again?

ac282

Stx had a stupid chainset. Not something I miss.

toby

I’m surprised that Hope can’t play the angle that they are a bike manufacturer these days.

They might just sell a surprisingly high number of spare / replacement HB160 freehubs.

vincienup
    Free Member

So… even down at SLX level… no 11-51 cassettte that runs on a standard HG freehub body? And no Micro Spline freehub body for any of my wheels for the foreseeable? I’m out.

Shimano are going to have a fight on their hands in some respects still. Quotes around the web say to expect XT at around half XTR and SLX at around a third XTR. M9100 still isn’t the easiest thing to source a full 1x drivetrain group in one place, but based on street prices right now that looks like around £450-500 for an XT drivetrain and £320-340 ish for SLX, which puts SLX head to head with GX, which is basically XT with a crap shifter. That’s definitely pitching XT as premium and SLX as Everyman. SLX with XT shifter is likely to be a common look I think 😁. The lack of alignment between SRAM and Shimano groups is always a problem, but they’re going to need to work the Shimano loyalty a bit this time I think. NX is in big trouble though.

Looking at the 7000 level Deore, I’d guess this is where the 11-51 Shimano cassette will eventually show up – if at all. The old HG FH’s had a good ride, when it’s holding up advancement it’s time to let go and move on.

As earlier, looking forward to getting my hands on this which is a first for me with Shimano since 10spd several years ago.

kelvin

How do Shimano justify this lock in? I mean, it’s obvious why they are doing it, but are they claiming some other reason that isn’t about gaining an advantage/control over competitors? Anything about the quality control and tolerances or the like?

Still don’t get the idea that any of us non-racers are being “held back” by not being able to fit a 10t cassette… and anyway, all my hubs (and probably yours) can be converted to a XD freehub, and technically can probably be converted to Micro Spline… if Shimano would play ball.

vincienup
    Free Member

I didn’t say people were being held back, but progress definitely was by HG. So many riders either abandoned Shimano completely or went to XD freehubs and SRAM cassettes, which will have massively hit Shimano in the aftermarket and OEM sales. Arguably, if Shimano hadn’t dropped the ball so thoroughly then Sunrace et al wouldn’t have had the opportunity to get to market in such a big way which is probably good for competition and the speed their product is improving it’s only a matter of time before they’re genuinely first tier and not just what you fit if you don’t want to replace hub/freehub. That’s got to be good for riders as a whole, but not necessarily Shimano and SRAM. As for performance, it’s a simple choice (leaving user perceptions of shifting out) – if you’re going 1x then you have choices. 11T robs you of a top gear leaving you needing a bigger cassette and chainring to get back to the same gearing – or just abandon top gears. That may suit some riders but definitely doesn’t suit everyone. Then, staying 10sp leaves you with big gaps between gears. Again, fine for some but not all. Choices, that’s what it’s all about.

Shimano have never shown so much consideration to the Road market where they’ve had several specifications of FH since HG was launched at eight speed for MTB. It’s less defensible that they didn’t adopt the XD hub which is an open standard so would have cost nothing but tooling but entirely unsurprising.

Tbph, I’m actually hoping that the aftermarket spares situation for DT hubs gets a boost out of this, that would be a nice bonus for consumer choice too. No idea why Hope are being kept out in the cold, but if I was guessing I’d go with a combination of being a drivetrain competitor with the cassettes, really not having the capacity to be an OE partner and their tendency to do things how they see fit rather than sticking to the standard. I’d be surprised if they don’t get Microspline at all, but if they’re still out in the cold a year after M9100, it may be a while yet.

scotroutes

FWIW, Miche are now doing a 12 speed, 11-51T, HG freehub cassette. 468g

https://www.miche.it/en/xm-12-speeds-11-51.html

andy4d

I kept thinking that the weight benefits of 1x over 2x must be getting narrower as we add more cogs to the cassette so i did some quick maths. (I am bored).

Using 2×10 xt with 38/24 chainrings and a 36t cassette i get front and rear shifter 255g/ front deraileur 137g/ rear deraileur 249g/ chainset 716g/ cassette 338g/ chain 273g/ extra cable and outer 8g gives total 1,968g.

1×12 xt with 51t cassette (they only state one weight for chainsets and due to the confusion mentioned earlier i put the cassette in the middle of the weights listed for 12sp) i get shifter 117g/ rear deraileur 284g/ chainset 608g?/  cassette 470g?/ chain 252g gives total 1,831g

So 12 speed is about 140g lighter than 2×10 if my maths is right. Dont know how much 12 speed is but thats a lot of £££ for a few grammes.

I will let someone else work out what the gear range differences are as none of the online calculators i tried took 12 speed.

Quick edit. Cheers scotroutes that was for a pair not each.

scotroutes

front shifter 255g/ rear shifter 255g

shifter 117g

There has to be something wrong there. I can’t see why a 10 speed shifter should be more than twice the weight of  a 12 speed (assuming i-Spec all round)

ta11pau1

The only way I’d ever go back to 2x is with the Di2 syncro shifting thing, otherwise the front mech needs to die.

Trying to co-ordinate front and rear shifts when you just need a slightly lower gear on a climb, but when dropping into the small front ring, you then also have to shift 3 or 4 cogs on the rear? No thanks.

I’d happily take a weight and price penalty over 2x.

I will let someone else work out what the gear range differences are as none of the online calculators i tried took 12 speed.

https://www.bikecalc.com/gear_ratios

1×12 – (34t chainring/10-51): 3.4 – 0.67
    2×10 – (38/24t chainring/11-36): 3.45 – 0.67

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 183 total)

The topic ‘XT 12 speed whens it likely’ is closed to new replies.