Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • XT 12 Speed upgrade: Scott Spark – new Deraillieur hanger needed?
  • trek77
    Free Member

Hi All

I posted last week about 12 speed conversion problem on my 2018 11 speed scott spark 910. Now I’ve got my hub sorted with micro-spline, but another issue has popped up!

The rear mech seems to sit too high with the current derailleur hanger, i.e too close to the cassette. This causes to mech interfere with the cassette unless the chain tension is
    set v. high. (would have to remove many links – which does not seem right).

The 2020 version of the spark (which has stock 12 speed) has a v. different derailleur hanger design which would put the rear mech lower and further away from the cassette. My gut feeling is that this is the key.

I see there are some different derailleur hangers offered for the spark. I’ve not
    been time too go through and understand them.

Any help/experience/advice???

Cheers

Matt

honourablegeorge

Shimano come up with some odd ideas form time to time – “direct mount” was one of them for 11 speed – I suspect you have a direct mount hanger on your bike to suit the old mech, and you need a standard one nor for 12 speed, as direct mount has been consigned to the bin alongside dual control and other daft ideas.

Blazin-saddles
    Free Member

As above.

My 2019 Spark RC has a standard length hanger as it was an OEM Sram build.

sillyoldman

DM hangers have been around for a while now as they work better with Shimano shadow mechs with the removable B-Links that have featured in 9, 10 and 11 speed Shimano MTB mechs.
    The change to extremely wide range cassettes meant they had to move away from that design for the 12 soeed stuff, but they are now featured in all newer Shimano Road and Gravel/CX groups. It’s not gone – just used where it can be.

OP – if your bike ran a Shimano 11 spd and the mech bolted directly to the hanger rather than with a short aluminium link, then you have a DM hanger and need a standard universal one.

trek77
    Free Member

Hi

Many thanks for the advice.

Seems clear now I need a non-direct mount hanger. There is one available for the spark for 30 Euros.

Shimano should up their documentation to make it clearer – i.e what prerequisites are needed for upgrades. Was a bit dangerous as I spent most of the day messing around and the shifting kind of worked on the work stand. Had I have ridden it then I would have done some serious damage.

Again Thanks.

PS I’m a bit out of the game – I remember with 9-speed, it was basically impossible to
    mismatch anything!

BearBack
    Free Member

Be aware there are 4x 12mm hanger options.
    Carbon rear triangle DM
    Carbon SRAM
    Alloy rear triangle DM
    Alloy SRAM

You need alloy SRAM for the 910.

BearBack
    Free Member

254092 I believe

trek77
    Free Member

I’ll double check.

thanks I really appreciate it!

trek77
    Free Member

yep part # ordered is 254092. fingers crossed!

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘XT 12 Speed upgrade: Scott Spark – new Deraillieur hanger needed?’ is closed to new replies.