Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 55 total)
  • xt 11-42 cassette for free…
  • torquil
    Free Member

Firstly, if you’re not either a 1x fan, or a lover of homebrew/diy/ghetto mechanics I’d look away now. Nothing about this solution is elegant or finely crafted, how ever it took about an hour of tinkering and cost me nothing so why not…

step one – take an old 42t chain ring and an old sprocket of the right size to line up with the chainring bolt holes
    step two – drill 2 holes 10mm in the sprocket and grind the teeth off.
    step three – bolt them together with chain ring bolts
    step four – add it to your 11-36t cassette, removing the 17t ring (as with the one-up version)
    step five – add a link to the chain
    step six – turn your B- screw right out
    step seven – go ride

ok it took a bit of grinding and tweaking to get the spacing right (just grinding the chainring and trying it, then repeating till it was right) the old sprocket was a 32t from some random old cassette left in my junk box, the rest was XT

so far it seems to work with no problems, but only on a quick ride, shifting is fine (with a Zee FR short mech). To be honest it seems too easy so I’m sure something won’t work long term but I’ll see how it goes.

cp

this needs pics!

jekkyl

Not sure it’s free if you’re using a new cassette! & you wouldn’t condone using a worn cassette would you? Skiptastic!

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    thepurist

needs more spoons

thestabiliser
    Free Member

Good effort, I’d be packing my chain whip and cassette tool on my next ride tho!

shermer75
    Free Member

As you’re bolting the chain ring to the side of a sprocket does it make the chain ring offset?

clubber
    Free Member

I’d thought about this. The biggest issue I could see was getting the chainring bolt holes accurately drilled in the sprocket. If they’re out, you’d effectively have variable gearing through the revolutions – like an oval chainring (in that it’s not constant).

Also, the spacing would need to be right which by default it wouldn’t be because it’d be offset.

Pics though, please!

maximusmountain
    Free Member

Seems like oliverracing has gotten a new account name on stw and bodged some cassettes together!

Pics definately needed, sounds good though

edit: Clubber, it would be quite easy with a 3 axis cnc to get the spacing correct in the old sprocket to remove the eccentricity but that also means you have to have access to one.

paladin

….or machine down old sprocket, machine out chainring so it fits over sprocket and weld together 😀

clubber
    Free Member

Well, yes of course it would be but I expect that’s not the norm 🙂

everyone
    Free Member

OP we need pictures of this amazing bodge.

irelanst
    Free Member

it would be quite easy with a 3 axis cnc to get the spacing correct in the old sprocket to remove the eccentricity but that also means you have to have access to one

If you had a CNC mill you may as well make a 42t sprocket from scratch.

cookeaa

Come on OP, lets see some pictures…

I like the idea, would be interested in the execution… a Rummage in the spares box might be in order…

Thinking about it OP, what size sprocket if you canibalise? it’ got to be at least a 32t to have enough material to drill/bolt into? (~129mm dia’ to accommodate a 104 BCD ring?)

Thinking about it further there must be a way directly attach a 104 BCD adapter/spider to the alloy carrier on an XT (or similar) cassette and then just space it off and remove the 17t…

see what I mean?

clubber
    Free Member

I’m reckoning on a cassette splined 104 bcd spider. Job done and no machining of teeth required (and 42t chainrings are easy enough to get hold of.

BearBack
    Free Member

Wouldn’t the chainring need to be ramped on the other side?

dadbike
    Free Member

I’m reckoning on a cassette splined 104 bcd spider. Job done and no machining of teeth required (and 42t chainrings are easy enough to get hold of.

Someone has had a go at this http://www.ruedasalacarta.blogspot.com.es/2013/08/xx1-y-bas-ss1.html

torquil
    Free Member

Sorry been away all day so slow on the reply.

I’ll try and get some more pics up later, but i warn you its not pretty.

The chainring IS offset from the sprocket its bolted to, just the offset is the same amount as the spacer that it would normally need to separate it from the next sprocket down.

As for accurate drilling, I’m sure technically it would make a difference to have it a tiny bit off (i.e. done by eye with a hand held battery drill whist standing on it) but in the real world (i.e. the one i ride in) I have yet to notice it.

torquil
    Free Member

oh photo doesn’t work, its here

11-42

torquil
    Free Member

11-42a

torquil
    Free Member

before anyone asks why only two chainring bolts, well I only had two to hand so i thought I’d try it like that just to see and it seems ok…

andyl
    Free Member

make sure you have a steel freewheel if mounting it to plain sprocket not one on a spider.

oldnick

Superb bodging 🙂

cakefacesmallblock

10 / 10 for effort and inspiration. Good work sir.

torquil
    Free Member

make sure you have a steel freewheel if mounting it to plain sprocket not one on a spider.

I had thought of that, and I don’t, so i’ll ride it a bit and keep checking how the freewheel is wearing. That is probably the main draw back of doing it like this but I guess its a starting point just using what old bits I had lying around not an ideal, long-term solution

tbh the whole idea of this was really a temporary set-up just to see how well the zee mech coped with 42t before investing £60 in OneUp sprocket – and just to see how it felt generally.

Most of the time i get by fine on 11-36 (with 34t at the front) so it shouldn’t see too much use but every now and then I could do with it when things get slippy on the climbs and I need to stay sitting down.

theflatboy
    Free Member

Allow me:

and also… 😮 😯

torquil
    Free Member

oh, i had to grind the teeth off otherwise they hit the chain when its on 36t sprocket…

torquil
    Free Member

Allow me:

now why didn’t that work for me…thanks

letmetalktomark

Love it.

Added to the must give this a try pile 🙂

Could you take a pic from the side of the cassette to see the spacing?

clubber
    Free Member

Hat.

iffoverload
    Free Member

thought I would try this as well 8) 40t with a zee 😯

my adaptor pic

letmetalktomark

Ooh …. Do you have any adapters spare? Interested if you do 🙂

iffoverload
    Free Member

I only got an Alloy and a Stainless steel one made up to check it out,

fancy a SS one?

The-milkybar-kid
    Free Member

Any for sale? Email in profile

letmetalktomark

An SS one would be great. What would you be after?

messiah
    Free Member

Ace.

iffoverload
    Free Member

@ anyone who definately wants one.

let me know it you want alloy or stainless steel.

message me on PB, I’ll get some made up and stick it on my buy/sell 🙂

be about £20 each with a couple of spacers I would say, depending on how many I get made up.

iffoverload
    Free Member

DXF here is anyone wants to get it cut themselves 🙂

drive.google.com/file/d/0BzKf__0FNIn7dmlPYkZnZ2NqMkU/edit?usp=sharing

put a vid up with it on a 9 speed 40-11 with a zee mech to check it out

wolfenstein
    Free Member

Hats off to you sir 🙂

AlexSimon

Yep – nice hacking.

Edit: That’s a clutch 10sp Zee – so are you using a SRAM shifter?

IamSam
    Free Member

Really like your solution, very very neat.

you must have thought about doing a run of these right?? i’d definitely take one even as a test i’d pay for it as well.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 55 total)

The topic ‘xt 11-42 cassette for free…’ is closed to new replies.