Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • XT 11-32 Cassette 10 speed on a road bike??
  • dickie
    Free Member

I have a road bike set up with an 11 speed 6800 Ultegra groupset with an 11-32 cassette which gives me some good hill climbing ability.

So I wondered if I can extend the gear range on my 10speed 6700 Ultegra winter bike by fitting an XT 11-32 cassette as 6700 cassette’s don’t go that high. I guess I’ll need a medium cage mech too & to add a few chain links.
    Will it work OK?

(Compact chainsets on both)

MoreCashThanDash

There’s been a lot of this on the CTC forum and mag. Certainly could be done with 9spd mechs and cassettes, not sure about 10spd.

Spa Cycles or SJS will be able to advise.

Singlespeed_Shep
    Free Member

Yes it will work,

You’ll need a 9 speed mtb long cage mech or ideally a 10 speed long cage road one.

A 10 speed mtb rear mech won’t work.

scotroutes

I run this with a 9 speed XT mech

dickie
    Free Member

I’d run a 10 speed 6700 Ultegra medium cage rear mech. Its a medium cage I’m running on the 11-32 6800 set-up.

tomhoward

Worked for Wiggo in the 2012 tour 🙂

njee20
    Free Member

You’ll need a 9 speed mtb long cage mech or ideally a 10 speed long cage road one.

You can’t get long cage road mechs, just medium (GS) which will be fine with that combo, or as said a 9 speed MTB rear mech either in medium or long (SGS) cage.

Mister-P
    Free Member

A Tiagra 10 speed GS (medium cage) will work perfectly.

hatter

I have my Croix De Fer set up with a 105 10 speed set-up, an GS 105 rear mech, SLX 11-32 cassette and a 50/34 road chain set up front.

Regarding chains; according to the Shimano guys ideally you should go with the chain designed to match your front rings as similar level road and MTB chains have different profiles.

Either will work, but your shifting will be better if you match your chain to the chainset.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘XT 11-32 Cassette 10 speed on a road bike??’ is closed to new replies.