Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • xs frames (26" wheel) availability
  • Marge
    Free Member

Thinking to get an xs small frame (14″?) to build up a new bike for my eldest (he’s on the limit now size wise for his 24″ wheeled bike)

I’ve got a Scott Scale at home that doesn’t get used since I went 29er and it would make a good parts donor.

Ideally disc frame / non-taper headset.
    Don’t want it to weigh a ton

What’s around? Any advice?

MoreCashThanDash

Search the forum threads, this was done a couple of days ago.

dbcooper
    Free Member

We have a XS BFe in the family, its rather good. They don’t dpot hem any more but the do the XS soul, which is the same geom.

cotic soul 26

Marge
    Free Member

Saw a generic ‘kids bike’ thread primarily discussing smaller wheeled bikes… (Was that it?)

didn’t see any suggestions for potential frames.

Had hoped maybe to find something new on eBay or from On One but nothing really jumps out

stevied
    Free Member

A mate is selling a 16″ Anthem frame? Too big?

Marge
    Free Member

I’d like to keep it simple & light if poss

Had the idea I’d be able to pick up an ‘Old fashioned’ hard tail for a couple of hundred…
    Disk mounts
    Straight head tube
    External BB
    9 mm QR

Hmmm
    I was at the Roc D’Azur at the weekend and it was funny to see that all the small ‘old’ top end mtb’s are now hand me downs to Kids 🙂

stevied
    Free Member

Think he wants about £175 for the anthem. 26″, disc mounts, 9mm qr. Not sure on head tube but can find out if you’re interested?

Rorschach
    Free Member

NOS (ie new) 2010 Giant Trance xs (14″).44mm headtube so will take 1 1’8th or tapered.
    Bit more than you were thinking at £375 but still a bit of a bargain.

stevenmenmuir
    Free Member

Kona? I managed to get an xs Caldera for my mum, she’s a shade under 5ft and it fits her perfectly. I was tempted to keep it for my 11 yo son.

andyl
    Free Member

any good? http://www.on-one.co.uk/i/q/FRSABMORT2/sab-mod-mortirolo-2-aluminium-mtb-frame

They have another in small too or you could go for a 456 evo in 14″ for £150. Heavier but probably a lot nicer geometry for messing about on.

Marge
    Free Member

I saw that on the On One site too….
    Lightly tempted except it mentions 2kg frame weight. That’s a bit of a tank for a tiny frame? Or perhaps I’m being stupidly sensitive. (Heavier than my large Scandal) 🙂

(Also said no derailleur hanger)

andyl
    Free Member

i did spot the lack of hanger on the site but not in the text. I guess that is a no then as they probably don’t have a clue.

the 456 is probably quite heavy too. They do have a small inbred too.

See if you can find a 14″ scandal 2nd hand or something like a 2nd hand Trek? They often go quite small, along with Kona. Also a 15″ specialized rockhopper is very small. Feels like a BMX when I get on the OHs. Nice and light too.

dobo
    Free Member

This looks good for the money
    http://www.bike-discount.de/en/buy/frame-analog-26-233691/wg_id-276

+£20 delivery for a frame, still a bargin and lighter than the above

TiRed

14″ Kona, XS Giant. I bought a retro Marin Mount Vision for Teen 1 and upgraded the parts.

andyl
    Free Member

cube looks good

matt_outandabout

I have a great nick Trek about to hit the classifieds tomorrow, as we just agreed to pick up the new bike tonight…
    This one:

[url=https://flic.kr/p/e8aVDf]Comrie Croft[/url] by matt_outandabout, on Flickr
    Straight forks, XTR brake levers and good V-brakes = just as good as discs….

Marge
    Free Member

That frame looks interesting but plan to build across all the old but ‘fancy’ bits of my old bike. SID race, XTR 9 speed, Crossmax etc etc

Think I’ve found a frame in DL for €100 (new). Cube Analog 14″

sweaman2
    Free Member

Is it just me though or is the geometry slightly weird on those frames (Cube Analog)
    I was just looking (same reason as you I reckon) and the 14″ seems crazy short.. 527mm. For comparison a 13″ Kona is quoted as 559mm.

Marge
    Free Member

546mm for an inbred….
    530mm for a Commencal el camino

But yes – seems quite short

dobo
    Free Member

i believe the 13″ kona is crazy not the cube..559mm is longer than a 16″ on one which is known to be fairly long top tubes..

moniex
    Free Member

Spesh rockhopper…

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘xs frames (26" wheel) availability’ is closed to new replies.