Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 55 total)
  • Xmas Dinner – GF vegitarian options
  • dantsw13

One of my Xmas guests is a GF veggie – any thoughts on what to make for an alternative centrepiece for his Xmas dinner?

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

What’s a GF veggie, and why would one guests food choices dominate the table?.

Can he take wafer thin ham?.

Drac

Gluten Free at a guess.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    iolo
    Free Member

Just give him/her veg. Easy.

konagirl
    Free Member

There was a thread the other day of nut roast recipes. Made from scratch there will be a way to make one of those gluten free if you can find replacement stuff in the GF aisle.

However, if they are coeliac I would be very wary. Ask how intolerant they are, as cross-contamination in your kitchen (shared implements, work surfaces, handling) could make a very unhappy Christmas for them. You may not be able to serve the same side dishes. If they are coeliac I would be looking for something packaged in the GF aisle and cooking and serving completely separately.

weeksy

bowl of tomato soup and a big plate of STFU.

dantsw13

He isn’t coeliac, just developed an intolerance over the years & now lives GF.

I will be cooking full Xmas dinner for the other 7, but looking for a meat replacement that’s GF. I’ll look up that Nut Roast thread.

oldmanmtb
    Free Member

Meat replacement = vegetables = load up the Brussels…. job done.

NZCol

Slice of baked Cauli will do the trick, with beef dripping roast tatties obv.

ElShalimo

I think of they are GF veggie they will be used to making their own food when eating at other people’s houses, it’s not like you’re running a restaurant.
    It’s easier for you and better for them if they bring something with them, or give you explicit instructions e.g. get a M&S nut thingy.

martinhutch
    mikewsmith
    Free Member

Look at any good veggie cookbook, I know a few veggies who see nut roast in the same way as a badly cooked turkey as part of a rubbish tradition. You could ask the person concerned what they like

kayak23

There’s endless stuff online. It’s really not a catastrophe. Even get something ready made that you can just put in the oven.

You meaty folks are so bothered about different… 😂👊

poah
    Free Member

just don’t give them meat?

convert

Blimey, some of you are made indignant by the slightest thing. Christmas cheer and goodwill to all men not run as far as veggies and folk with a dodgy bowel? So many easy off the shelf options it’s almost not worth the question. As the solo veggie in that scenario I wouldn’t be offended if you bought rather than made an alternative – just a GF nut roast would suffice.

I’m not GF but I cater for a lot of them – it would be nice if you bought some GF mince pies or whatever to replace the xmas pud too.

Cougar

I know a few veggies who see nut roast in the same way as a badly cooked turkey as part of a rubbish tradition.

I rather like them.

+1 to just asking them what they prefer. If it were me I’d be happy with the veg and something simple like a couple of Quorn burgers, the absolute last thing I’d want is a lot of drama. I hate being the centre of attention when it comes to food and don’t want to be a monumental PITA to cook for.

Just be mindful of keeping Yorkies and veggies veggie, don’t roast them in lard and turkey juice. Oh, and veggie gravy of course, Bisto Best onion gravy is as close to regular gravy as I’ve found.

theotherjonv

it would be nice if you bought some GF mince pies or whatever to replace the xmas pud too

Woah woah woah!

Look, I’m all for peace and goodwill, and there would always be room at my table for someone with specific food requirements or allergies at Christmas, I’d be happy to cater for them.

But to REPLACE the Christmas pud? Are you insane? Surely you mean as well as!!

convert

But to REPLACE the Christmas pud? Are you insane? Surely you mean as well as!!

Clearly. I meant replace it for him! Obviously it is not Christmas (other winter festivals are available) without the pud. And brandy butter. And cream. But none of that white sauce nonsense.

rene59
    Free Member

Mister-P
    Free Member

I’d be happy with a pile of roast potatoes, a decent selection of vegetables and plenty of gravy (gluten free vegetarian gravy, obvs). In fact that’s what I will be having for dinner on the 25th.

kayak23

@rene59 that’s how we feel when my partners mum comes for Christmas, us both being veggie.

Still, no drama, we get her what she wants and cook it, which is Turkey/some sort of meat. The dog enjoys her leftovers.

loum
    Free Member

Careful of the gravy
    Bisto best not gf I think now .
    I’ve checked the ingredients on the back and found no usual suspects so used it myself for years.
    But then had a reaction this year that I think was probably down to the gravy so stopped using it. They don’t claim gf, and I think how they make it may have changed an more liable to cross contamination.

loum
    Free Member

And this is meant with no disrespect to the “proper” veggies, but well worth checking if this individual eats fish.
    A bit of salmon baked in foil and sweet chilli sauce might just solve all you probs , no sauce needed, fairly low key but festive.
    Not opening the definition of veggie debate .

kerley
    Free Member

I’d be happy with a pile of roast potatoes, a decent selection of vegetables and plenty of gravy (gluten free vegetarian gravy, obvs).

Yep, I had just that on Sunday evening. Don’t really see the need to substitute the meat on every single meal

mahalo

The turkey is always my least favorite item on the plate! id be happy with more of all the other stuff – would struggle to go without pigs in blankets and gravy tho!!

ThePilot
    Free Member

In the tradition of suggesting what you have/are going to have, how about gf veggie haggis? Easy to cook, just wrap it in foil and roast it. Tastes good and will look good on the table too

Mister-P
    Free Member

A bit of salmon

Not opening the definition of veggie debate .

But you obviously don’t know the difference between vegetarian and pescatarian.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Beetroot on a stick?

I did something similar in the summer, but for winter you could just roast the beets and add some chilli or wasabi..

Its a keeper this recipe, it was fun to eat and really tasty..

ElShalimo

@bikebouy – they look good. Have you got a link to the recipe?

oldtennisshoes

And yet there are plenty of folk who use vegetarian for shorthand that do eat fish.
    Probably best to a) not give labels to things, or b) if you must, don’t assume that the labels mean the same things to everyone.

convert

Whilst you clearly are not able to infer context whilst reading words. It is completely obvious from the way that the post was written that they were aware the difference but had the wherewithal and experience of the real world to know that people who eat fish as their only meat often are still refereed to as vegetarian by others.

Harry_the_Spider

Not sure about the GF bit, but my vegetarian wife and kids will be having baked field mushrooms with pesto, goat’s cheese and cranberry. Bang it in the over for 20 mins. When it is done sprinkle it with toasted pine nuts. Job done.

Check that they are OK with the goat’s cheese first though.

Serve it with all of the other veg that everyone else is getting. Maybe you could add a couple of Quorn sausages too.

taxi25
    Free Member

If I’d been invited to Xmas dinner and knew it was traditional fare, and was a GF veggie and vegetables weren’t enough. I’d just bring my own meat substitute, gravy and GF desert. It would be a total no brainer for me, I’d never expect the host to do something special just for me.

Mister-P
    Free Member

I am very aware that people assume that vegetarians eat fish. Some assume that vegetarians eat chicken because “it’s not like real meat”. There are plenty of excellent vegetarian dishes out there (Bikebouy’s has definitely been added to my must try list). So why suggest fish? Suggest something actually vegetarian!

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Deliberate in the title?

Vegitarian

😉

convert

So why suggest fish? Suggest something actually vegetarian!

Because for some people who call themselves vegetarian (or are called it by others) their ‘ideal’ protein centerpiece for a ‘veggie’ xmas dinner would be a bit of fish. My inlaws are a classic example – they will again have a bit of tuna as their turkey alternative. You know they are not really vegetarian, I know they are not really vegetarian – but there it is. It’s worth asking the question simply because this group is not small.

BigJohn

I rarely have a meal without meat but I can think of several things we do that are animal and gluten free and are lovely.

French Onion Soup
    Baked Stuffed Aubergine
    Sweet Potato & Cauliflower Curry
    Braised Chicory
    Ratatouille
    Baked Potato
    Tortilla Espagnol (Potato Omlette)
    Roasted Cauliflower
    Aioli with Crudites

poly
    Free Member

If I’d been invited to Xmas dinner and knew it was traditional fare, and was a GF veggie and vegetables weren’t enough. I’d just bring my own meat substitute, gravy and GF desert. It would be a total no brainer for me, I’d never expect the host to do something special just for me.

The logical thing would be to have the discussion first! If you turned up at my house with the “special” food you wanted cooked (or to get in the way cooking) when I’ve gone to the trouble of adapting my menu to suit everyone I’d be a bit pissed off. Many kitchens on Christmas day don’t have an extra shelf in the oven or ring on the hob to just pop something on. As the partner and parent of coeliacs there is something positive about not having been excluded. Personally I wouldn’t invite people unless I was prepared to accommodate them! Its really not that difficult to cook for GF people, even to coeliac level of contamination, just treat gluten like raw meat – you don’t use the same utensils, trays etc for cooked stuff.

mariner
    Free Member

I asked the question about nut roast on an earlier thread and used the suggestion here http://thinlyspread.co.uk/chestnut-cashew-nut-vegan-christmas-roast/

Made it for a trial last Sunday and the general consensus was excellent. Managed to forage a Savarin tin so it not only looked good but tasted good.
    Today I am making the same but using a 1lb loaf tin and freezing until next week as there are only two for Christmas day.
    Tesco have the have/had the chestnuts at half price and I used frozen prepped butternut squash.
    The recipe is vegan so should be ok. The mixture was a tad dry so added half a cup of vegan bouillon to slacken it a bit. Hand chop the nuts as a machine is too fine.
    Made a vegan mushroom sauce with yoghurt to go with it and surprised how well that turned out.
    Failing that I would ask them to bring something with them then they know its Kosher.

dantsw13

Gravy will be cooked from scratch using veg stock.

I’m thinking of making a Nut roast, definitely some stuffing with GF bread and those pesto/goats cheese mushrooms sound lovely!

Thanks for the ideas. I enjoy hosting at Xmas and Am looking forward to the challenge!

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 55 total)

The topic ‘Xmas Dinner – GF vegitarian options’ is closed to new replies.