Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Xfusion forks twisted
  • gkeeffe

My son, had a big spill on his bike, and now back on it, says he feels that the forks are twisted. I cant tell myself. Anyone got a simple way to test. I tried another wheel and he said that it made no difference…..

me1tdown
    Free Member

I take it he doesn’t just mean that the stem/bars are out of alignment?

weeksy

I’ve got a pair of untwisted ones for sale

jamesoz

Does stiction increase when the wheel is fitted? If it’s a through axle and the forks twisted it won’t thread in so easily.
    I twisted a few marzocchi braces back in the day and it was quite easy to tell with the fork off the bike on a flat surface.

gkeeffe

Bars ok. He says he feels the wheel isn’t vertical.

Anyone think that could be the case??

richwales

He wants new forks?

ads678

Tell him to have another crash but the opposite way this time…

cyclistm
    Free Member

I think I would pop the fork out and check the steerer. I’d also drop the lowers to see how they are looking.

matt_outandabout

Pictures of tyre compared to crown would help – you can see if anything is off centre or odd angled.

matt_outandabout

Also check:

Twisted stem
    Rotated or bent bars
    Damaged steerer / crown (especially if frontal impact or casing jump)
    Check QR for bend or stripped threads.
    Check tyre wonky on rim.

legend
    Free Member

Remove the front wheel. Then push the axle back through, it’ll be immediately obvious if it’s not pointing towards the other dropout anymore

gkeeffe

Thanks everyone. I’ll have a look – Carbon bars too so I should check. He shattered his collarbone on the Blackrun at Grizedale after clipping a tree stump after one of the big corners going full pelt. Bike looked ok, but bars and stem were spun round… and yes he wants new (DVO Diamond) forks!!!

wwaswas

I’d take the fork out the bike and check the steerer and also that the fork legs are square with no cracks in the paint and that the stanchions are square in the crown.

martinhutch

Carbon bars too so I should check. He shattered his collarbone on the Blackrun at Grizedale after clipping a tree stump after one of the big corners going full pelt. Bike looked ok, but bars and stem were spun round… and yes he wants new (DVO Diamond) forks!!!

If there’s any suspicion that the bars have taken that kind of impact, I’d be reluctant to use them again.

jamesoz

If it was my bike I’d be stripping and inspecting the forks ( or paying somebody to ) and replacing the bars as stated above.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Xfusion forks twisted’ is closed to new replies.