Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Xenon headlights
  • themightymowgli
    Free Member

I drive a truck for a living and high up in the cab I don’t notice them so badly but when driving the car on the back roads, I find myself regularly blinded by the lights. The white xenon ones. I understand they’re legal but I find it hard to believe they’re safe. The glare is dazzling to the point I can’t see past the oncoming vehicle much like if its main beams were on.
    People also appear to be putting them in their fog lamps and driving in clear conditions with them on.
    Does anyone else suffer from this and would popping xenon bulbs into my headlights counter the glare?

andytherocketeer

Some seem to be very directional. Annoying when they’re behind on the autobahn and looks like they’re flashing their lights, but have actually just gone over a bump.

gonzy
    Free Member

i suffer from the same problem when in the car…
    most of the time its because other drivers are lazy and dont bother dipping their beams…
    there seems to be a common consensus among manufacturers to now spec new cars with what they call day time running lights…which explains why you see so many modern cars that have their lights on during the daytime…
    as for fitting xenon bulbs….you can get xenon type bulbs but to match the glare of a full xenon headlight it would take more than just the bulb…you’d need to change the whole headlamp unit to one that is designed specifically for that purpose as there is a difference in the reflective material used inside the headlamps…
    having said that i have used the xenon type bulbs in the past and found them to be a marked improvement over the standard bulbs…

richmtb

yeah they are a PITA

Correctly adjusted ones aren’t a problem. But so many people drive around with badly adjusted or out of line lights its untrue – how many times do you look in your mirror and see one bright light and one dim light?

This is an MOT fail but 20% of cars must run round with their lights out of alignment

njee20
    Free Member

most of the time its because other drivers are lazy and dont bother dipping their beams…

I disagree, it’s not people driving on main beam, their dipped beam is horrendously dazzling.

I had a Porsche Cayenne following me at 6″ last week with his on – in my Golf they were just shining straight in, immensely distracting. I really can’t believe they were properly adjusted.

as for fitting xenon bulbs….you can get xenon type bulbs but to match the glare of a full xenon headlight it would take more than just the bulb…you’d need to change the whole headlamp unit to one that is designed specifically for that purpose as there is a difference in the reflective material used inside the headlamps…
    having said that i have used the xenon type bulbs in the past and found them to be a marked improvement over the standard bulbs…

Most of the ‘Xenon’ type bulbs are really not that, a proper HID Xenon bulb will be getting on for £100, and as you say they need a proper unit, it’s not just about the reflector.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

its a penis extension, fog lamps make your vectra seem sporty.

Daffy

Njee – that’s a common problem with conventional cars being followed by high riding SUVs. They’re adjusted correctly, but still bad for others.

Factory fitted Xenon lights are required to have both automatic leveling systems and headlight washers in the UK. Fitting of aftermarket xenons and xenon bright bulbs are not governed by this and so can be very glare prone to other road users. Fitting of aftermarket xenons and xenon blue bulbs should be an MOT failure, but lots get through the net.

40mpg

There seems to be an arms race for brighter car headlights at present. I do find them extremely dazzling and distracting when passing cars on unlit country roads – especially on uneven roads ie uppy/downy or with bumps.

The same is happening with rear lights too. Some of the big mercs and beemers have a HUGE cluster of LEDs (the size of a tea tray) for brake lights. Sitting behind these in a traffic jam or at teh lights (and they never put the handbrake on, probably auto’s) and the red is so bright it makes me queasy.

nixie

there seems to be a common consensus among manufacturers to now spec new cars with what they call day time running lights

That would be because of a EU law I believe!

themightymowgli
    Free Member

I believe most I pass are probably just cheapy bulbs fitted. I don’t think a 52 plate Corsa will have them factory fitted. I do think that there should be more done about their glare maybe by the authorities. I often have to just stop in the road as I’m not confident about what is ahead on the back lanes. And also you can’t see pedestrians/parked cars/ grannies with pushchairs etc very well in a poorly lit street as someone comes toward you like that

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Xenon headlights’ is closed to new replies.