• This topic has 22 replies, 15 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by cokie.
Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • XC/Trail 29er Hardtail- your help please
  • cokie

I’m focusing on XC racing this year. I had my first race last weekend and placed well but I found my bike unsuitable against the pack.. Zealous Division 650b+ just doesn’t have the right attributes for racing with slack angles, ultra short chainstays, 650b+ tyres. It’s a hoot to ride round the woods, but it’s not and XC whippet.

So, I’m going to pick up an XC hardtail- it’ll be for mainly XC riding (both racing and local loops) as well as some trail riding (rougher side of Swinley). I need the bike within a couple weeks- so needs to be in stock somewhere, ideally to pick up this weekend. I don’t want it to be fragile. I also want 11 speed on the back, with 142×12. Not sure if I should go for Carbon or Aluminium..

Budget up to around £2200.

Shortlist;
    – Santa Cruz Highball Al S
    – Specialized Stumpjumper Comp Carbon
    – Vitus Rapide 290
    – Trek Superfly 9.8
    – Cube LTD SL 2X
    – Whyte 29-CS (but 135 QR rear?)
    – Canyon Grand Canyon CF 6.9
    – Cube Elite C62 Pro
    – On one/Tomac Xc bike

Any help and advice would be awesome!

Clink

I have the Trek Supefly Ss frameset and it has really impressed me. Relatively slack ha, nice long top tube. It flies. I’m not even sure it’s worth paying extra for th carbon frame TBH.

cokie

Yeah, they do look lovely! Shame the SS didn’t come to the UK.
    With Al you get a better spec, and arguably a more durable frame, but with a slight weight penalty. Seems to only be about 500-700g though, that’s some mud this time of year.

Edit: Superfly 8- 1×11 GX, SID RL and al frame for £1600. I don’t know anything about the Bontrager wheels though.

bombjack
    Free Member

Recently picked up a SC Highball aluminium to replace a tired Zaskar 9er, and its an awesome frame. Far stiffer and focused than the GT, but not as hard-core as a Trek procaliber 9.8 and a Cannondale F-Si I demoed a few weeks before.
    TBH the Trek was an awesome build, I just couldn’t bring myself to buy the full build as opposed to the SC frame.
    Strava seems to think the SC is faster, so I guess they’ve done something right…

Gotama
    Free Member

What about the Scott scale? Could get the plus variant so you could run some lighter 29er wheels for racing and the plus wheels for trail/hoofing about. Think the higher spec bike is in your budget.

ferrals
    Free Member

Was going to say Scott scale myself, if you can stretch to £2400 you get the carbon and SRAM 11sp version though I have a feeling only the performance fox fork?

cokie

I’ll have a look at the Scott- not checked the Geometry yet.
    Problem is I’d have to spend the £2400 before I get the spec I could get lower down on other bikes.

cokie

Looks like this is wining for now..
    Trek Superfly 9 2015- X1, Sid RL, XT brakes for £1450!

http://www.leisurelakesbikes.com/p/18491/trek-superfly-9-hardtail-mountain-bike-2015-sale

dragon
    Free Member

Trek Superfly for me, and with the money saved upgrade the wheels and tyres if necessary.

spectabilis
    Free Member

Ghost Lector LC 7

crispycross
    Free Member

That Trek is a bargain. I had the Stumpjumper and loved it. Perfect for XC racing and trails, great for just riding around – even did some marathons on it.

steve_b77
    Free Member

What about a KTM Myroon Elite for £1999, full XT M8000 2 x 11 inc. brakes and a Fox 32 CTD fork?

Or a KTM Myroon Master with Boost for £2499, X1 drive train, XT M8000 brakes and those funky boots hub thingies

homebrewjunkie
    Free Member

I have the Trek 9.6 2015 and I love it. The carbon frame is super stiff which you may or may not prefer.Running the tyres tubeless has helped. The Bontrager stock wheels that came on it are 2200g for the pair and are the 1st thing I’ll be changing. I bought it for the frame and plan to slowly upgrade the rest. Trek also offer a lifetime guarantee on their carbon frames.Great bike.

cokie

Thanks for all the replies- will have a look. I just can’t get past the Superfly 9 price at the moment. I could run the stock wheels with winter tyres and then buy a nicer set for summer, and still have change over.

mccraque

Radon Black Sin anyone?

Clink

they do look lovely! Shame the SS didn’t come to the UK

They did. Bought mine through Swinnertons. 😀

DanW
    Free Member

Santa Cruz Highball Al S

Just picked up a Highball to run SS. All I can tell you so far is that the frame is over 2kg so it won’t be XC Race light. Rigid SS will be around 19lbs which is heavier than my Chinese 29er with gears, suspension and a dropper.

If it were me I would buy a Scale although the complete bikes aren’t great value as you say. Radon are really worth a look too if the availability is good.

Your Zealous with a shorter fork won’t be that far off modern XC bikes like the Scale and F-Si. The short chainstay is the glaring difference and the BB may end up a touch low but the sizing and angles will be much the same. Perhaps worth looking in to if you decide the XC racing thing isn’t for you in the end?

Another thought… Is it an option to spend the same money on frame, forks, wheels and tyres and reuse your current components? SIDs for ~£350, 1.4kg wheels for ~£500, tyres ~£50, then whatever takes your fancy on the frame? I went for a 256-sl from Hongfu (almost identical geometry as a Scale), 1kg frame, and about £400 all in with ~2 weeks delivery

EDIT: In fairness the Trek in your link is indeed looking pretty good 😀

botk
    Free Member

I ride scott scale and love it, unfortunately only the 760 but for the price its a great bike.

julzm
    Free Member

I’ve a superfly 9.7 2014. Got SID XX world cups on it and shimano 1×11, Carbon bars and Thomson seat post. Only other thing I’d change is the wheels but not gotten around to that yet. Even with the bontrager wheels it’s pretty light.

Done some XC races on it and it’s the perfect bike for it.

Very stiff as others have said, but one of the slackest HA you’ll get on that type of XC race bike which inspires some confidence when you’re perched on a high seat on the steep stuff….for me anyway.

cokie

Thanks for all the input!
    I’ve ordered the Trek Superfly 9 ’15 at an even lower price than above.
    Should arrive Tuesday. I’ve ordered some Beevers for the mud too 😀

Clink

Cool! Where from if you don’t mind me asking? I’d be interested in an 18.5″.

cokie

Evans with a price match and then some vouchers from ‘friends’.
    They’ve only got 1x 18.5” left; http://www.evanscycles.com/products/trek/superfly-9-2015-mountain-bike-ec074289
    Evans is the only 18.5” I’ve seen.

I got the last 17.5”, but lesiure lakes still have a 17.5”.

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘XC/Trail 29er Hardtail- your help please’ is closed to new replies.